Why am i not losing?

Options
1235»

Replies

• LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight means you're eating too much. Either you're not counting correctly or overestimating exercise burns.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    . I don't know what "Hairy Bikers (Dieters - Moist Carrot & Sultana Cake, 1 portion" is, but it has to have either carbs, fat, or protein in it if it has calories.
    I have a recipe book from the Hairy Bikers and its called "The Hairy Dieters" because it is all low-fat recipes. Well this cake is meant to be low-fat so I baked it for my family so we all could have a slice and I wouldn't be left out :smile: . But im not sure of the nutritional info apart from the calories because the book doesn't provide them :frown:

There are websites where you can enter ingredients for a recipe and it will calculate macros and micros per serving. You can do it here at MFP--enter your recipe and it will be available to select. Calorie counters: http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php# is another option.

I find that this is immensely helpful as I cook many things from scratch and am always modifying recipes to suit seasonal availability or taste preferences.

Good luck and keep at it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you aren't loosing because you actually are eating too few calories. I know it's weird right?! But even though you can eat 1300 calories and feel fine and not hungry, you body can think you are in starvation mode which means it will hang on to everything so you don't starve, which means you won't lose anything, believe it or not.

Try eating 1400-1500 calories and do light exersise 3 times a week, like walking for 45 mins. Give it 2-3 weeks and I bet you lose 4-5 lbs!
    If you are not losing it does not mean you are eating too few calories, it means you are eating too much. The problem is generally in underestimating calories in by not measuring and weighing food, miscalculating portions, and relying on MFP's calorie estimations rather than reading the label or looking up nutrition information elsewhere, as well as possibly overestimating calories.

Eating more would be to fuel your body more if you really are eating low and not eating your exercise calories back (in other words your logging is accurate enough). In order to lose weight, you must still not eat over your total calorie goals for the week (some people stagger calories, eat a few hundred one day, but eat under a few other days to make up the difference).

Starvation mode does not apply to this situation. You don't go into starvation mode just from eating too few calories. You lose a certain percentage of body fat and muscle and become emaciated. Please read this link to fine out what starvation mode really is about: http://www.madsciencemuseum.com/msm/pl/great_starvation_experiment
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Not losing weight means you're eating too much. Either you're not counting correctly or overestimating exercise burns.

No, not in one week it doesn't.

OP, it's been one week. Water fluctuations of various sorts could easily be masking the lb or 1/2 lb you expected to lose. Your scale's margin of error is also higher than that. It takes time to see a real trend. You need more data points is all :) There's no reason to assume anything isn't working yet. Even if it's not, you need more time to know that, too.