Advice for a Juicing Virgin?

Options
I am thinking about juicing. My sister did it for awhile and she said she loved how she felt... more energy and all that. I am planning on doing this in addition to my other food. I do not want to do a juice fast or anything like that. I have been losing weight with exercise and calorie deficit, but I feel like I want to get more nutrition in my diet and it seems that juicing could be a simple and yummy way to do that. Thanks!

-Kate

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier and healthier to drink smoothies instead. With juice, you're throwing out the healthy plant fiber, which is what makes you full and slows the absorption of the sugars. And a good blender you can just rinse out whereas a juicer needs disassembled and cleaned.

In either case, it's easy to get a lot of calories down quickly and without much feeling of eating, so be careful if you count.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think it's easier and healthier to drink smoothies instead. With juice, you're throwing out the healthy plant fiber, which is what makes you full and slows the absorption of the sugars. And a good blender you can just rinse out whereas a juicer needs disassembled and cleaned.

In either case, it's easy to get a lot of calories down quickly and without much feeling of eating, so be careful if you count.

I agree with this. Plus, making smoothies instead of juicing is more economical because there is way less waste.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about juicing. My sister did it for awhile and she said she loved how she felt... more energy and all that. I am planning on doing this in addition to my other food. I do not want to do a juice fast or anything like that. I have been losing weight with exercise and calorie deficit, but I feel like I want to get more nutrition in my diet and it seems that juicing could be a simple and yummy way to do that. Thanks!

-Kate

My son and his wife juice daily - it's their breakfast. He doesn't like pulp, so he just drinks the juice -she does, and wants some of the fiber, so she adds the pulp back in. They get plenty of fiber from their meals the rest of the day. They both feel better than they've ever felt and lost weight since they started it last year.
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am a juicer (not an appliance, a person) who saves my pulp. Makes good muffins or bread or whatever. Anyway, I love juicing because I'm 2 years old and hate eating a lot of veggies. And juice still fills me up. My current fave recipe is sweet potato, apple, carrot, and a bit of ginger. Yum so good, and the potato keeps it filling!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is kinda pointless. Juice is not filling, and you remove a lot of the good stuff from the vegetables or fruits. If you have trouble getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet, it makes more sense to blend them and make shakes using the whole thing, not just extracting the water and sugar from them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that it's usually a lot of extra clean up. My mom has one and after she was done, it took her longer to clean up than to make it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kamyers1289
    kamyers1289 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that it's usually a lot of extra clean up. My mom has one and after she was done, it took her longer to clean up than to make it.

IDEA Fitness member

This is true. There's no way around it.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I think juicing is kinda pointless. Juice is not filling, and you remove a lot of the good stuff from the vegetables or fruits. If you have trouble getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet, it makes more sense to blend them and make shakes using the whole thing, not just extracting the water and sugar from them.

All you are removing is the pulp/fiber, the rest of the nutrients are still there. The not filling part means you can drink some nutrients and still have room for other food (to get your fiber, for instance). It's an alternative to supplements, and some people do it just because they enjoy it, so it's not pointless to them. Shakes and smoothies tend to have more calories due to other added ingredients.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

All you are removing is the pulp/fiber, the rest of the nutrients are still there. The not filling part means you can drink some nutrients and still have room for other food (to get your fiber, for instance). It's an alternative to supplements, and some people do it just because they enjoy it, so it's not pointless to them. Shakes and smoothies tend to have more calories due to other added ingredients.

You still get almost all of the calories from the juice. So if you are then adding real food on top, you are actually increasing your caloric intake, while getting way more micronutrients than your body cares about. There's no extra credit once you've fulfilled requirements.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Need to get my mind out of the gutter.... carry on. :bigsmile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Need to get my mind out of the gutter.... carry on. :bigsmile:

Glad I'm not the only one. Vegetables were not at the forefront of my mind when I entered the thread.
  • mccindy72
    Options

You still get almost all of the calories from the juice. So if you are then adding real food on top, you are actually increasing your caloric intake, while getting way more micronutrients than your body cares about. There's no extra credit once you've fulfilled requirements.

Obviously the juice would be counted in the day's intake. It's usually a replacement for a meal for some people.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Always use protection!! LMAO, sorry i just had too!

:blushing: :laugh:
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    In before the lock!

Wait...oh, juicing...
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

This is true. There's no way around it.

yes, messy but I've started putting a plastic bag in the container that holds the pulp and that makes the juicer easier to clean.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

For me its not about the calories. Its about packing a large amount of nutrients that is easily absorbed by your body. I juice, and I enjoy it quite a bit. There is no way I am going to eat 2 apples, 2 carrots, handful of grapes, lime, celery, cucumber, and spinach in one sitting. So getting those nutrients in a breakfast drink is not pointless to me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If anyone is familiar with the little robotic juicing character from Penny Arcade, the term "juicing virgin" takes on a whole new meaning.
  • its_go_time
    its_go_time Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet FTW. No pulp extraction, easy to clean, juices as smooth as you want. I use mine twice daily.
  • persistandendure
    Options
    Yes, take it slow and don't mix your vegetables yet...try celery first, maybe cucumbers...you'll have MAJOR digestive issues if you throw everything in at once...also, don't mix vegetables and fruits.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Sorry I thought this said "Advice for a Juicy Virgin? *Leaves thread disappointed*