Advice for a Juicing Virgin?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is kinda pointless. Juice is not filling, and you remove a lot of the good stuff from the vegetables or fruits. If you have trouble getting enough fruits and veggies in your diet, it makes more sense to blend them and make shakes using the whole thing, not just extracting the water and sugar from them.

All you are removing is the pulp/fiber, the rest of the nutrients are still there. The not filling part means you can drink some nutrients and still have room for other food (to get your fiber, for instance). It's an alternative to supplements, and some people do it just because they enjoy it, so it's not pointless to them. Shakes and smoothies tend to have more calories due to other added ingredients.

You still get almost all of the calories from the juice. So if you are then adding real food on top, you are actually increasing your caloric intake, while getting way more micronutrients than your body cares about. There's no extra credit once you've fulfilled requirements.

Obviously the juice would be counted in the day's intake. It's usually a replacement for a meal for some people.

The point we're trying to make is that the part that juicing extracts - the water, sugar, and a few vitamins - has calories, isn't filling, and lacks many of the benefits of the whole fruit or vegetable. The part that you throw away contains fibrous material and more vitamins and minerals. The fibrous material is filling and very good for your overall health.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Nutribullet FTW. No pulp extraction, easy to clean, juices as smooth as you want. I use mine twice daily.

Yes, this is what I think I recommend too. My domestic partner girlfriend person recently bought one and has been making smoothies by just filling it up with fruits and veggies. She's been using carrots as a base lately and it's going well. I think she made one yesterday with just carrots and oranges. She says they taste good, and since you're not throwing away all the solid material, they keep her much more full than simple juice would.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I think juicing is perfectly healthy as long as you're having juicing in addition all your meals, and aren't replacing meals with juice. Because as some others have said, fiber is really important. So as long as you're getting fiber in all your meals, juicing is a great way to squeeze in more nutrition. I swear by fresh juices because I can instantly feel the health benefits. Some of my favorite combos are:

pear, carrot, ginger
    apple, celery, cucumber, kale
    pineapple, mint, kale
    carrot, apple, ginger
    mango, carrot
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, take it slow and don't mix your vegetables yet...try celery first, maybe cucumbers...you'll have MAJOR digestive issues if you throw everything in at once...also, don't mix vegetables and fruits.
    um, what? And why not? Most juicing recipes call for both fruits and veggies. My son and his wife have been doing this for a year and have had no ill effects. Also cucumbers are a fruit, and you've advised starting with them.

And start with cucumbers? They are a gas-creating fruit.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    also, don't mix vegetables and fruits.

What??
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Need to get my mind out of the gutter.... carry on. :bigsmile:

Glad I'm not the only one. Vegetables were not at the forefront of my mind when I entered the thread.

hell I was in for the virgins….but then realized this was a juicing thread...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Nutribullet FTW. No pulp extraction, easy to clean, juices as smooth as you want. I use mine twice daily.

My domestic partner girlfriend person

Oh you old romantic. I can see why she fell for you.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I hear it's messy..that juicing.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

What??

It's like crossing the streams. Very bad.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I struggle with what to call her. I was filling out the emergency contact form today at the doctor's office and it had a section for "relationship to patient." I froze. I filled out some "domestic partner" paperwork a couple years ago for work so that's what I sort of go with, but it makes it sound like I'm gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

What??

It's like crossing the streams. Very bad.
    :laugh:
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

I struggle with what to call her. I was filling out the emergency contact form today at the doctor's office and it had a section for "relationship to patient." I froze. I filled out some "domestic partner" paperwork a couple years ago for work so that's what I sort of go with, but it makes it sound like I'm gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Just go with "my old lady"... My wife LOVES that one!
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

"The old ball and chain" goes down well too.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite things from when I lived in las Vegas was all of the juice bars. Carrot, beet and ginger would have me zooming for the whole day. I have missed it so much. So for Christmas I bought a juicer. It comes today. Can't wait. Add me and we can exchange recipes as we go along.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I think I'll use that on the next form I have to fill out, just to give the data entry person a smile.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options

I think I'll use that on the next form I have to fill out, just to give the data entry person a smile.

Just stick with what you are using "My domestic partner girlfriend person" that is enough to confuse but yet make anyone laugh.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Just stick with what you are using "My domestic partner girlfriend person" that is enough to confuse but yet make anyone laugh.

you could always abbreviate and say my DPGP …sounds more gangsta! LOL
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

Try "Current <girlfriend, wife, whatever>" No use in letting them get too comfy.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    "Take her along to the juicing room at once."
    willy_wonka_by_amelka_wonka_kitty-d4gfzv7.gif
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    We have a juicer, but only use it in the summer when we are getting overrun with garden produce. The rest of the year, using a high power blender is much more economical, and I like getting the whole vegetables/fruits. They are expensive, but if you get a blender like a Blendtec (what we use) or a Vitamix (what I will get some day) then you can make whole veggie / fruit juices as well as all kinds of other good things, like making soups, grinding grains, and making baby food. It was a good investment. You can find all kinds of recipes for whole foods juices online.