Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction

Options
QuietBloom
QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
I don't know if this has already been posted, but I thought I would throw it out there. I admit I was surprised at the conclusions (not surprised that protein requirements were higher than normally recommended, but surprised at just how high the recommended amount was.

A Systematic Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction in Resistance Trained Lean Athletes: A Case for Higher Intakes.

Abstract

Caloric restriction occurs when athletes attempt to reduce body fat or make weight. There is evidence that protein needs increase when athletes restrict calories or have low body fat.

PURPOSE:

The aims of this review were to evaluate the effects of dietary protein on body composition in energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes and to provide protein recommendations for these athletes.

METHODS:

Database searches were performed from earliest record to July 2013 using the terms protein, and intake, or diet, and weight, or train, or restrict, or energy, or strength, and athlete. Studies (N = 6) needed to use adult (≥ 18 yrs), energy-restricted, resistance-trained (> 6 months) humans of lower body fat (males ≤ 23% and females ≤ 35%) performing resistance training. Protein intake, fat free mass (FFM) and body fat had to be reported.

RESULTS:

Body fat percentage decreased (0.5% to 6.6%) in all study groups (N = 13) and FFM decreased (0.3 to 2.7kg) in nine of 13. Four groups gained or did not lose FFM. They had the highest body fat, smallest magnitudes of energy restriction or underwent novel resistance training stimuli. Two groups lost non-significant amounts of FFM. The same conditions that existed in the groups that did not lose FFM existed in the first group. These conditions were not present in the second group, but this group consumed the highest protein intake in this review (2.5-2.6g/kg).

CONCLUSIONS:

Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    You know I agree with you but my issue is mainly WHERE to get the added protein from. I hate to rely on more meat or protein powders. I don't eat dairy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Good link. I hadn't seen this yet. Thanks, and bookmarked.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    1g/lb in people who are calorie restricted to CYA...got it...
  • jonnythan
    Options

1.1 to 1.4 g/lb, actually. I've been going with 1g/lb FFM but I'll probably bump that up a bit now.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Interesting paper...good to know.

BTW, this journal has a 5 year impact factor of 2.07
    (https://www.researchgate.net/journal/1526-484X_International_journal_of_sport_nutrition_and_exercise_metabolism)

Sports nutrition is not my area of expertise...is this one of the better journals in this area? Just curious.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Great information!
  • _John_
    Options
    Interesting paper...good to know.

BTW, this journal has a 5 year impact factor of 2.07
    (https://www.researchgate.net/journal/1526-484X_International_journal_of_sport_nutrition_and_exercise_metabolism)

Sports nutrition is not my area of expertise...is this one of the better journals in this area? Just curious.

I'm not familiar with ratings in this field, but in my field and department/university a 2.07 would be "good enough, but not great". Which means it's a decent journal.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

It was actually a bit higher. Makes me feel more convicted to make sure I get enough protein.

Does anyone know why MFP goes with the default protein amount that it does?
  • jonnythan
    Options

It was actually a bit higher. Makes me feel more convicted to make sure I get enough protein.

I think those are standard FDA recommendations or something.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So if i want to weight 173 I should be eating 207 g of protein? According to this?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I think those are standard FDA recommendations or something.

Most of my life I am sure I did not get even that much. Creeping diaries has shown me that many people are not meeting that FDA set requirement. I credit much of my progress with my goals to my greatly increased protein intake. Better late than never! :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    So if i want to weight 173 I should be eating 207 g of protein? According to this?

No, you should be multiplying your fat free mass, not total mass, by the factor.

So if you are 173 lbs with 35% body fat you have 112 lbs of fat free mass. So you want a minimum if 123 - 158 grams of protein.
  • _John_
    Options

No, you should be multiplying your fat free mass, not total mass, by the factor.

So if you are 173 lbs with 35% body fat you have 112 lbs of fat free mass. So you want a minimum if 123 - 158 grams of protein.

assuming you don't have a goal of losing FFM during calorie restriction...which could be the case in rare circumstances...
  • QuietBloom
    Options
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

So right now i'm aiming for 160 so that is a good goal then. I think i'm at about 30% BF. Or at least I was last time the gym measured me.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    You know I agree with you but my issue is mainly WHERE to get the added protein from. I hate to rely on more meat or protein powders. I don't eat dairy.

Why don't you want to eat more meat?

I actually supplement a LOT with protein powders, because I find it difficult to choke down a lot of meat.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I don't know if this has already been posted, but I thought I would throw it out there. I admit I was surprised at the conclusions (not surprised that protein requirements were higher than normally recommended, but surprised at just how high the recommended amount was.

A Systematic Review of Dietary Protein During Caloric Restriction in Resistance Trained Lean Athletes: A Case for Higher Intakes.

Abstract

Caloric restriction occurs when athletes attempt to reduce body fat or make weight. There is evidence that protein needs increase when athletes restrict calories or have low body fat.

PURPOSE:

The aims of this review were to evaluate the effects of dietary protein on body composition in energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes and to provide protein recommendations for these athletes.

METHODS:

Database searches were performed from earliest record to July 2013 using the terms protein, and intake, or diet, and weight, or train, or restrict, or energy, or strength, and athlete. Studies (N = 6) needed to use adult (≥ 18 yrs), energy-restricted, resistance-trained (> 6 months) humans of lower body fat (males ≤ 23% and females ≤ 35%) performing resistance training. Protein intake, fat free mass (FFM) and body fat had to be reported.

RESULTS:

Body fat percentage decreased (0.5% to 6.6%) in all study groups (N = 13) and FFM decreased (0.3 to 2.7kg) in nine of 13. Four groups gained or did not lose FFM. They had the highest body fat, smallest magnitudes of energy restriction or underwent novel resistance training stimuli. Two groups lost non-significant amounts of FFM. The same conditions that existed in the groups that did not lose FFM existed in the first group. These conditions were not present in the second group, but this group consumed the highest protein intake in this review (2.5-2.6g/kg).

CONCLUSIONS:

Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765

this a review study and you have to look at the original studies it is based on to see if they hold up- garbage in, garbage out.. This is done to gain statistical power,

Not so sure why the surprise, though. With resistance training, the point is to gain strength and that only occurs with an increase in muscle mass. Of course you will need more protein over baseline.

You can gain strength without gaining muscle mass. Also, I am quite certain the full text article contains the studies they reviewed.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    this a review study and you have to look at the original studies it is based on to see if they hold up- garbage in, garbage out.. This is done to gain statistical power,

Not so sure why the surprise, though. With resistance training, the point is to gain strength and that only occurs with an increase in muscle mass. Of course you will need more protein over baseline.

I don't think anyone is surprised. And while it may be obvious you need more protein, it's not obvious just how much. This study is the latest published research showing us just how much.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    in for good info
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Why don't you want to eat more meat?

I actually supplement a LOT with protein powders, because I find it difficult to choke down a lot of meat.

I do fairly well at getting to the 160 mark these days..

every day I usually do 1 scoop of protein powder, 8oz or more of meat with dinner, 2 eggs and egg whites, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese and then I fill in any deficit that remains with anything that has high protein. I add chicken to my cabbage soup, or tuna to my salads. doubling my meat portion at dinner really helped too. I cut out a lot of starches though. They aren't as satisfying to me anyway. I miss bread a bit though. I love fresh baked bread..

It used to be really difficult for me to get to it as well, but if you really focus on it, it gets easier.

I guess it would be a lot harder if I didn't eat dairy.