stuck on my butt in an office alllll day

Options

Replies

• Laquincy
    Laquincy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do is, if you have a chair that rolls you can work your hamstrings & calves by 1)Almost completly starighten your legs 2) Heels are on the ground, toes are staright up. 3) Pull yourself forward to where knees bend(basically to normal seating position ) 4) Repeat maybe 2 sets of 15....if you want to make it more challenging use just 1 leg to pull yourself forward.

good idea, i'll deff try that
  • Laquincy
    Laquincy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I take two 15 minute walk breaks and also we have a anytime fitness downstairs at my workplace. So instead of going to lunch I go workout. I'm sure im very fortunate to have a gym at my work place.

um ya, you suck. thats awesome though. apparently my office use to have a gym before i worked here and when the previous dr. sold his practice, he sold all the gym equipment to:(

I'll do a few more sets and reps for you :-)
  • PaulaRicco
    PaulaRicco Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Does your job provide you with health insurance? If so, maybe it's time to remind your boss that it is in their best interest to support you being in the best shape possible because it keeps health care costs down. I work at a family-owned business and everyone is encouraged to be as healthy as possible - they even let me expense my gym membership!

Hang in there! One day you'll be someone's boss and you'll make sure you treat them (and their health!) right! :)
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I work for 25 minutes, then take a 5 minute break walking. Our office is on two floors of our building, and I'm on the lower floor, so I go upstairs, grab a drink of water, use the restroom, whatever - just MOVE for 5 minutes, then go back down and work for another uninterrupted 25 min.
  • fitpiglet24
    fitpiglet24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I'm in the office all day, but I'm usually at clients so working out at my desk isn't really an option. But I do try to walk to the person's office instead of emailing items and take the scenic route to the restroom and such. When I'm in my office I walk the stairs for a few flights.

It is so hard to get motivated to work out before or after work, any tips from the follow cubemates?

having a desk job is a pretty motivating factor for me. but i know it can be hard when you have other responsibilities and what not. i find that it helps to get up 30-45 min early and do a pilates or yoga workout before work. getting up early def sucks, especially in the winter but you kind of need to ask yourself what you want, and if it's to get healthy and fit, then you'll make sure you're up in time to get a workout in. also, it takes about 30 days or so for a habit to kick in so if you can commit yourself to sticking out a workout routine for about that long, it'll start becoming second nature to get up and workout or leave work and hit the gym. plus, you'll start feeling great from the workouts and won't want to stop! you just have to want it and not make excuses:)
  • AmberJewelCR
    Options
    No you're not! Get up and do squats at your desk. Chair lifts, lunges. I do this all at work :)
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    No you're not! Get up and do squats at your desk. Chair lifts, lunges. I do this all at work :)

i share a tiiiiiiny office with someone who is anti-working out, pro-candy so i'm sure i'd get some looks if i did squats and different routines at my desk but oh well.. i think i'm gonna bust a few out right now! i'll letcha know what she says;)
  • fitpiglet24
    Options
    I take two 15 minute walk breaks and also we have a anytime fitness downstairs at my workplace. So instead of going to lunch I go workout. I'm sure im very fortunate to have a gym at my work place.

um ya, you suck. thats awesome though. apparently my office use to have a gym before i worked here and when the previous dr. sold his practice, he sold all the gym equipment to:(

I'll do a few more sets and reps for you :-)

aw thanks! you're a peach
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Shoot, I've been a desk jockey for years and I love it. There are actually desk exercises you can do. Google it.

I go to the gym during lunch and I'm in martial arts in the evenings. If I can't do that, I'll go for a power walk at night.
  • Torgrills
    Torgrills Posts: 103 Member
    Options

i share a tiiiiiiny office with someone who is anti-working out, pro-candy so i'm sure i'd get some looks if i did squats and different routines at my desk but oh well.. i think i'm gonna bust a few out right now! i'll letcha know what she says;)

Shoot, let them give you looks! Maybe it'll make them uncomfortable enough to change some bad habits of their own? Are you able to switch out your chair for an exercise ball? They're quite comfortable to sit on and you can bounce or do crunches, plus sitting up straight really encourages core stability. It wouldn't hurt to ask-I sit at a triage desk all night, and my boss was more than happy to say yes to my request for using an exercise ball in the office.
  • fitpiglet24
    Options

Shoot, let them give you looks! Maybe it'll make them uncomfortable enough to change some bad habits of their own? Are you able to switch out your chair for an exercise ball? They're quite comfortable to sit on and you can bounce or do crunches, plus sitting up straight really encourages core stability. It wouldn't hurt to ask-I sit at a triage desk all night, and my boss was more than happy to say yes to my request for using an exercise ball in the office.

good idea, i have one at home that i can bring in and try out. (i don't think her habits are going to change anytime soon; she seems quite content with her little stash of candy) ;)
  • mlauraa
    mlauraa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I try to go for a walk on my lunch break occasionally. I also don't care if people give me a weird look when I'm doing lunges in the breakroom while waiting for my lunch to heat up. Maybe ask some coworkers if they would like to join you for a desk work-out challenge and they will all be doing squats at their desk? lol

I will be trying this with my coworker tomorrow, hopefully she joins lol
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yes. I will do exercises I learend from a ballet/yoga dvd while I'm waiting at the copy machine. Standing leg lifts to the side or stretch my leg out back of raise and lower my foot. Nobody has given me any strange looks yet.

I also do calf raises at my desk and sometimes sit in a modified yoga pose to stretch.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is my first day back in a week and half, UGH! We have a treadmill desk -you can walk while you work, but I would fall on my aze! We have a production we have to meet with apps, that would slow me down.

I do get up and stretch a lot.
  • FiftyandGettingBetter
    Options
    Yes, this is my first day back in a week and half, UGH! We have a treadmill desk -you can walk while you work, but I would fall on my aze! We have a production we have to meet with apps, that would slow me down.

I do get up and stretch a lot.

I'm in need of more of that.... strecthing. I try to strecth at my desk when I remember. I need to set an alarm to remind me. anyone have any other suggestions?
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    yep! not only am I on my butt all day at work but I also am on my butt for about hour and a half with driving to and from work and on my butt sitting in classes all day! its quite sad. At work I try taking a 15 min walk around, luckily I work on a hill next to the beach/coast so its always a nice walk. Its not much but its nice to get a little walk in
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can do is, if you have a chair that rolls you can work your hamstrings & calves by 1)Almost completly starighten your legs 2) Heels are on the ground, toes are staright up. 3) Pull yourself forward to where knees bend(basically to normal seating position ) 4) Repeat maybe 2 sets of 15....if you want to make it more challenging use just 1 leg to pull yourself forward.

great idea, thanks!
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just started this week, I set an alarm on my email to go off at 9 that tells me to get up. Once it goes off, I snooze it for an hour, then get up and walk around the interior of our building for two laps. Just got a fitbit so I'm trying to start making small changes to things. In an hour, the snooze goes off again, so rinse and repeat.

I do like the idea of squats in the bathroom too!! I'm gonna start doing that!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    IMAG08732_zps05c129f9.jpg

WHOA...big picture is big. Anyway, I got one of these and I've put about four inches on each arm since then. True story.
  • myfrogs11
    myfrogs11 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    IMAG08732_zps05c129f9.jpg

WHOA...big picture is big. Anyway, I got one of these and I've put about four inches on each arm since then. True story.

This guy at work actually bought one of those just so he could check out in Sporting Goods section....