Starvation mode weight gain?

Options
Here's my question, I'm eating about 900-1000 calories a day, well below my bmr, and I've gained 2 lbs in the past week. What's that about? Is my body storing fat due to it being in a state of famine? I don't really know. And how would I shed off this extra weight? Thanks

Replies

• Heagter_masun
    Options
    And will my body burn off the fat naturally after a few days once it realizes I'm eating? I also walk 3 miles a day, lift 3 pound weights for 10 minutes, and preform squats for 15 minutes everyday.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I don't know how starvation mode is truly taking place but I wonder if you are eating more than you think...I speak from my personal experience because I always thought I was under eating but it turned out I am above my maintenance level. I didn't realize this until I started weighing my food and being very strict with portion size....just a thought, may not apply.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Here's my question, I'm eating about 900-1000 calories a day, well below my bmr, and I've gained 2 lbs in the past week. What's that about? Is my body storing fat due to it being in a state of famine? I don't really know. And how would I shed off this extra weight? Thanks

Yah no...you have been here what 8 days??? People who are starving don't gain weight...they lose hair, get bloated bellies and get skelaton like bodies...

You are probably eating more then you think as mentioned before...or retaining water...

Now the question is why are you eating so little???? Min amounts suggested for women is 1200...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That is not how starvation mode works. If you are in a deficit you lose fat/muscle etc. What does happen is your system slows down so the deficit you think is 1000, may only be 800 calories, so you would still lose, just slower than expected.

What you may be noticing is water retention, or you may be eating way more than you think you are or burning quite a bit less. Do you weight all solids you eat, and measure all liquids, if not over eating is probably what you are seeing happen.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You can't gain fat in a cal deficit, perod!

Have you started a new exercise program? This can cause water weight gain.
    Are you drinking zero cal drinks high in sodium? This can cause water weight gain.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Chances are you're eating more than you think and/or you're experiencing water retention.
  • Arianemarie123
    Arianemarie123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You should eat way more. Your body generally needs 1500 calories a day, fewer than that can trigger starvation mode. Instead of eating up your fat stores, your body holds onto them. You don't lose weight and any weight you do lose, you're more likely to gain back. Your best bet is to eat healthy and exercise. Otherwise you'll end up binging on more than you should.
  • Heagter_masun
    Options
    In a day I eat about 3 servings of fruit, 4 servings of veg, and 3 servings of lean protein. I honestly don't think I'm eating more than 900-1000 calories. I check my calories with a calorie booklet and then I add everything up. My main question is will my body burn the fat I've stored if I continue to eat my bmr?
  • Heagter_masun
    Options
    And I only drink water, and 1 cup of coffee in the morning with stevia and a tablespoon of coconut milk creamer
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Since the starvation mode has already been addressed, I just want to say that the 2 pounds is unlikely all fat, if any. Especially if you are restricting calories as much as you say you are. Either you're eating WAY more calories than you say you are, or you're retaining water. Since it's only been a few days, I'm putting money on the latter.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    You should eat way more. Your body generally needs 1500 calories a day, fewer than that can trigger starvation mode. Instead of eating up your fat stores, your body holds onto them. You don't lose weight and any weight you do lose, you're more likely to gain back. Your best bet is to eat healthy and exercise. Otherwise you'll end up binging on more than you should.

NO there is no starvation mode where your body hangs onto fat and you gain eating a deficet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1084912-good-starvation-mode-article

read this...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No, your body is retaining water to help it repair the muscle tissues you've been causing microdamage to through working out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Here's my question, I'm eating about 900-1000 calories a day, well below my bmr, and I've gained 2 lbs in the past week.

Either this is a random, temporary fluctuation from (most likely) water retention, or you are eating more than you think and need to fix your calorie tracking.

It is not possible to gain weight on 900 calories a day, unless someone is already concentration-camp-thin.
  • Heagter_masun
    Options
    Will the weight come off once I eat normally again?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

The weight will come off if you keep doing what you're doing. I'm concerned that you're not eating enough, though.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose fat.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

The weight will come off if you keep doing what you're doing. I'm concerned that you're not eating enough, though.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose fat.
    x10000000
  • ball_FXDWG
    ball_FXDWG Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "starvation mode'.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Not a question we can answer for you with any accuracy. Could be 5days or 2weeks or more. You haven't been accuracy tracking cals so we don't have any real data to go off of.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I know - how many times can I ask the same question to get a heated discussion going.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1167050-weight-gain-yet-eating-below-bmr

Don't be a troll, eat them, they'll provide some calories Anna Rexia.

Is 50-58 the desired weight goal?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    You posted the same sort of thing yesterday .. and went on to disregard all the advice.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1167050-weight-gain-yet-eating-below-bmr

I smell a troll ... *sniff* *sniff*