Guilty Working Mom

Options
1235»

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    To all the parent police on this thread: Instead of telling Mom what time she ought to be putting her child to bed or what psychologists would say, let's help her out with her ACTUAL question. My advice: workout at times when your child is sleeping (assuming you have childcare) or bring your child to the kids club at you gym (our daughter loves it). It's normal to feel guilty, just know that you are NOT a bad mom for doing this. It's hard to miss out on those fleeting moments, before you know it you will be sending him off to school. That's why I reccommend late night/early morning workout...and maybe some sugar-free red bull.

They did answer her question, and provided her with some useful scientce-based tools to do so. When did using science based tools to promote child health become "parent policing" rather than just "good parenting" based on what's healthy for a child? It's just a bonus that it's also better for personal balance, workout schedules, and your marriage/relationship.
  • emtbythesea
    emtbythesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did your read this thread? Like, she feels guilty. Then she's got all this posts telling her she's putting her kid to bed at the wrong time and how she shouldn't be doing this and that. Can someone please tell me how that is supposed to help her with her feelings of guilt - would make me feel worse. If she was seeking scientific data, then she would have asked for it. If she was confused about how to help her child sleep, she would have said so. Her question was simple: should I feel guilty? IMVHO
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I did read this thread. Maybe you think the way to avoid guilt is to pretend you couldn't possibly do anything any differently and therefore there's no need to feel guilty. Other people relieve guilt by modifying actions and behaviors to strike a better balance for them and for their child, and relieve their guilt by knowing they are making the best choices for themselves and their child.

The question is simple to answer. No, you should not feel guilty. Guilt is a wasted emotion that changes nothing and does not make anyone happier or more productive. But, it's a natural emotion, with which there's more than one way to deal.