paleo finishes last of public rankings of 2013's best diets

Options

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually put a lot of stock into what these "lists" say is healthy...?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i'd personally try going vegan, but i can't seem to get a straight answer on just how many days per week i'd be allowed to eat meat. if it's too few, then it wouldn't be practical for me... but if meat is allowed 3 days a week, i think i could be a vegan.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I love that the Acid Alkaline diet is called "ridiculous and poorly researched"

Is this where you eat batteries??
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Does anyone actually put a lot of stock into what these "lists" say is healthy...?

hence why I posted this here...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

Is this where you eat batteries??

I like chasing calcium hydroxide with sulfuric acid myself...
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0vmq1je1p1qf5do9o1_500.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why go on a diet? Where did the good old "portion control " go?

When did portion control stop being a diet?
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Portion control is something you do your hole life, it's not a diet.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

That just looks uncomfortable.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Since the acid/base balance in the body is very delicate and small changes in the range can cause large problems, it does sound a bit ridiculous to have a diet that is supposed to affect it. It's regulated by the kidneys and the lungs and has no effect on metabolism, so using diet to affect it is a bit ridiculous as well.

I believe they claim it cures a wide range of health issues. People used to suggest it regularly as a "cure" for my lupus. :noway:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Since the acid/base balance in the body is very delicate and small changes in the range can cause large problems, it does sound a bit ridiculous to have a diet that is supposed to affect it. It's regulated by the kidneys and the lungs and has no effect on metabolism, so using diet to affect it is a bit ridiculous as well.

I believe they claim it cures a wide range of health issues. People used to suggest it regularly as a "cure" for my lupus. :noway:

Yeah, I have a cousin who keeps telling me to drink baking soda in water to cure my cancer. Gross!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Portion control is something you do your hole life, it's not a diet.

Portion control, like any other type of diet, is something you do for as long as you choose.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i'd personally try going vegan, but i can't seem to get a straight answer on just how many days per week i'd be allowed to eat meat. if it's too few, then it wouldn't be practical for me... but if meat is allowed 3 days a week, i think i could be a vegan.

I actually LOL'd, and spit my tea at my screen
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I actually LOL'd, and spit my tea at my screen

me too! Managed to swallow the tea, but I think I choked.....
  • GameOfPounds
    GameOfPounds Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I prefer portion control rather than restrictive diets(by restrictive i don't mean only calories). Not that paleo seems bad but personally I can't find a reason to eliminate foods from my diet and red meat every day doesn't seem very healthy to me.. Diets for weightloss (acid/alkaline,atkins,dukan and so on) are silly imo. Just calories in<calories out and trying to add more healthy foods in my diet is enough for me.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    It might be funny, but these this is how people get convinced to go to weight watchers as opposed to eating real foods. Amazing that real food diets lose out to crap like that.
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Baking soda? Gross, yeah, and ridiculously patronizing considering the seriousness of your disease! If only curing cancer was as easy as that... hope you are doing well, stupid diet recommendations aside...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Baking soda? Gross, yeah, and ridiculously patronizing considering the seriousness of your disease! If only curing cancer was as easy as that... hope you are doing well, stupid diet recommendations aside...

I believe that alternative treatments like that one are a way of trying to assert control over something that cannot be controlled. If it is "that easy" then it's a lot less scary than chemo and all that. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Mccindy I hope you are doing well also. Take care.
  • sandrop329
    sandrop329 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Quite possibly the best gif ever!
  • Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I believe that alternative treatments like that one are a way of trying to assert control over something that cannot be controlled. If it is "that easy" then it's a lot less scary than chemo and all that. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Mccindy I hope you are doing well also. Take care.

I do recognise that - when my boyfriend was suspected of having MS (thankfully it is still a suspicion, hasn't developed) looking into diets that claimed to be able to help it was a way for me to regain some control over getting news about a scary and unpredictable disease. That said, I'd never be so bold as to tell someone else they needed to eat a certain way, and that would eliminate the illness... it would seem to me like you were making it their fault for being ill in the first place.