paleo finishes last of public rankings of 2013's best diets

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Baking soda? Gross, yeah, and ridiculously patronizing considering the seriousness of your disease! If only curing cancer was as easy as that... hope you are doing well, stupid diet recommendations aside...

I believe that alternative treatments like that one are a way of trying to assert control over something that cannot be controlled. If it is "that easy" then it's a lot less scary than chemo and all that. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Mccindy I hope you are doing well also. Take care.

Thanks! So far, so good. I'm in "wait and watch" mode with MRIs every 3 months.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Baking soda? Gross, yeah, and ridiculously patronizing considering the seriousness of your disease! If only curing cancer was as easy as that... hope you are doing well, stupid diet recommendations aside...

Yeah, I know. I've gotten the gamut of silly recommendations. There is some merit in responsible diet, but with brain cancer, not much can cross the blood-brain barrier, so some things that do actually work for other cancers don't work. I do try to keep my sugars down, which is important, but I'm not drinking baking soda. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It might be funny, but these this is how people get convinced to go to weight watchers as opposed to eating real foods. Amazing that real food diets lose out to crap like that.

Weight Watchers doesn't allow eating "real food"??
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I believe that alternative treatments like that one are a way of trying to assert control over something that cannot be controlled. If it is "that easy" then it's a lot less scary than chemo and all that. Unfortunately it doesn't work.

I do recognise that - when my boyfriend was suspected of having MS (thankfully it is still a suspicion, hasn't developed) looking into diets that claimed to be able to help it was a way for me to regain some control over getting news about a scary and unpredictable disease. That said, I'd never be so bold as to tell someone else they needed to eat a certain way, and that would eliminate the illness... it would seem to me like you were making it their fault for being ill in the first place.

I completely agree with that assessment, particularly the last phrase.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Does this mean that Team Paleo gets to pick first in the draft this year?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I had no idea there were so many names for eating less...
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

meh, they'll overdraft some crossfitter...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Paleo is hard to maintian because it's so freaking expensive... I mean seriously, who can afford to buy grassfed beef or venison and what not... and Almond flour? Right!!!

In any regard, I do have quite a few friends that jumped on that bandwagon that have found success with it...
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Paleo is hard to maintian because it's so freaking expensive... I mean seriously, who can afford to buy grassfed beef or venison and what not... and Almond flour? Right!!!

In any regard, I do have quite a few friends that jumped on that bandwagon that have found success with it...

Make the diet so expensive one can't afford to overeat. Maybe that's easier for some. (I'd be willing to bet that no paleo area man ate grass fed beef or almond flour, though).
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

You just never know what people are going through. You're in my thoughts :):flowerforyou:
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Make the diet so expensive on can't afford to overeat. Maybe that's easier for some. (I'd be willing to bet that no paleo area man ate grass fed beef or almond flour, though).

I would like to be able to afford meals throughout the week...
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

meh, they'll overdraft some crossfitter...

I'm guessing they go with the Geico Caveman.

geico-caveman.jpg
  • mccindy72
    Options

You just never know what people are going through. You're in my thoughts :):flowerforyou:
    :love: :flowerforyou:
  • mccindy72
    Options

Venison is not expensive, if you hunt it, skin it, debone it and process it yourself. And it's super lean and very tasty as well.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Venison is not expensive, if you hunt it, skin it, debone it and process it yourself. And it's super lean and very tasty as well.

Even if you take it to a processor it's usually < $2 per lb. As long as you already have the expensive gun, ammo and hunting gear :wink:
  • k8blujay2
    Options

I know venison is tasty and healthy... but here lies the problem... I don't hunt... I am not a hunter... I'm a gatherer... I have only shot a gun one time... and I have never shot an arrow on a moving target.
  • pphilpot172011
    Options
    Ive been eating Paleo for a while now, but Im currently doing the Whole30 challenge and on day 6, which is even more restrictive than normal Paleo. Ive droped weight and gained SOO much energy cutting additives and stuff thats isnt natural out of my diet. I agree its definitley hard to stick with, especially for those like me who love things like buns on your burgers and sandwhiches, but to me its not just a diet, ts the start of a healthier lifestyle. I wont be gorgeing on pizza, cake and ice cream on day 31, and totally throw away the last 30 days. Its about commitment, and if you really wanna lose the weight and gain something, you wouldnt see it as a "diet" but more of a way to refresh and restart your body, and begin a healthier lifestyle. Of course, you dont have to follow the Paleo diet to a "T", but there is A TON of great information and healthier food recipes that are the BOMB. The expensive part i dont get. There is a shopping guide for Paleo and it has Best, Better and Good choice for the meat, and you do not have to eat red meat every day. I prefer chicken, turkey and lamb...obviously those who are saying its too expensive or that its not healthy because of what you HAVE to eat...you havent done your research throughly. Any questions, let me know, I got all the books, and have deeply researched it for a while now.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I wont be gorgeing on pizza, cake and ice cream on day 31, and totally throw away the last 30 days.

Sorry, gorging on pizza cake and ice cream on one day doesn't effect the other 30 days.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I was a little surprised the Paleo diet was ranked dead last. Despite being based on bad science and overly restrictive, it actually does seem to be a healthy way to eat. Healthier than some of the higher ranked ones at least...

Ditto.