what do you have for lunch?

Im having trouble making things that are healthy and not disgusting :mad:
I tried skinnytaste everything i like has toooo many carbs or doesn't taste good without cheese and sour cream

Replies

• Billybegood
    Billybegood Posts: 32 Member
    Veggie so, three Ryvita with low fat homous and dots of sweet chilli sauce, cherry tomatoes and one or two quorn mini scotch eggs
  • Robin_Brown72
    Robin_Brown72 Posts: 104 Member
    Im having trouble making things that are healthy and not disgusting :mad:
    I tried skinnytaste everything i like has toooo many carbs or doesn't taste good without cheese and sour cream

Today my lunch consisted of Cajun turkey breast, half a baked potato with light ranch, broccoli and 2 cuties. 3 hours later had yogurt and a piece of homemade bread for a snack. Supper tonight will be chicken tacos :)
  • Im having trouble making things that are healthy and not disgusting :mad:

Today my lunch consisted of Cajun turkey breast, half a baked potato with light ranch, broccoli and 2 cuties. 3 hours later had yogurt and a piece of homemade bread for a snack. Supper tonight will be chicken tacos :)

That sounds delicious :tongue:
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    I've been making stews and chilis and just eating a batch for lunch and dinner for a couple days, then freezing the remainder. After I've gone through the process with several recipes, just reheating the old batches from the freezer. Boring, perhaps, but it's tasty, made exactly how I like it, and I know everything that went into it.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    If you want something lo carb you can always have an omelet or frittata. I don't know why you'd want to be low carb though.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Most days I bring a salad, which sounds boring but really isn't. Usually they're a protein, a cheese, a dressing, and a bunch of veggies and other stuff. But, you can mix and match to infinite possibilities to fit your tastes and goals. Some of my stuff includes (but definitely is NOT limited to):

Proteins:
    Roasted chicken
    Grilled or pan-cooked steak
    Fajita or taco-style meat (chicken, steak, ground beef, ground turkey)
    Italian lunchmeats

Cheeses:
    Goat
    Blue
    Cheddar/Colby
    Provolone/Mozzarella

Dressings (all homemade):
    Ranch
    Olive oil/vinegar (balsamic, red wine)
    Olive oil/lemon/mustard

Veggies:
    Infinite

Other stuff:
    Bacon
    Dried fruit
    Apple slices
    Hard boiled eggs
    Nuts or seeds
    Crispy onions
    Beans (black, chickpeas)

On and on and on and on.... Sure, I don't have ALL of this stuff on hand ALL of the time, so usually I end up eating a similar salad every day for a week at a time, but that's an often enough change-up for me!
  • I've been making stews and chilis and just eating a batch for lunch and dinner for a couple days, then freezing the remainder. After I've gone through the process with several recipes, just reheating the old batches from the freezer. Boring, perhaps, but it's tasty, made exactly how I like it, and I know everything that went into it.

boring but easy. i made Crock pot chicken enchilada soup for lunch this week. but it doesnt taste good without cheese and sour cream :(
  • Most days I bring a salad, which sounds boring but really isn't. Usually they're a protein, a cheese, a dressing, and a bunch of veggies and other stuff. But, you can mix and match to infinite possibilities to fit your tastes and goals. Some of my stuff includes (but definitely is NOT limited to):

Proteins:
    Roasted chicken
    Grilled or pan-cooked steak
    Fajita or taco-style meat (chicken, steak, ground beef, ground turkey)
    Italian lunchmeats

Cheeses:
    Goat
    Blue
    Cheddar/Colby
    Provolone/Mozzarella

Dressings (all homemade):
    Ranch
    Olive oil/vinegar (balsamic, red wine)
    Olive oil/lemon/mustard

Veggies:
    Infinite

Other stuff:
    Bacon
    Dried fruit
    Apple slices
    Hard boiled eggs
    Nuts or seeds
    Crispy onions
    Beans (black, chickpeas)

On and on and on and on.... Sure, I don't have ALL of this stuff on hand ALL of the time, so usually I end up eating a similar salad every day for a week at a time, but that's an often enough change-up for me!

are the salads keeping you full ?
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    rice cakes with peanut butter
    wraps with hummus & a bunch of veggies
    berry & banana & kale smoothies
  • Some ideas

Scrambled egg whites, cucumber slices and hummus
    Small tortilla wrap with tbspn almond butter and a salad
    Green salad with hard boiled eggs on top
    Chicken salad
    Home made soup ( less sodium... )
    Chicken wrap ( NOT saturated with cheese and ranch :p )
    Thin crust pesto pizza with chicken
  • jannalovescoffee
    jannalovescoffee Posts: 118 Member
    I'm in for more ideas....

I eat a lot of low cal soup or sandwiches most of the time. :yawn:
  • Robin_Brown72
    Robin_Brown72 Posts: 104 Member

boring but easy. i made Crock pot chicken enchilada soup for lunch this week. but it doesnt taste good without cheese and sour cream :(

Why don't you want to add cheese and sour cream. Just measure/weigh and count.

The soup sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe?
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    I normally have leftovers, a sandwich (loaded with veggies, lite mayo, mustard), an occasional frozen meal or Shakeology :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    are the salads keeping you full ?

Absolutely, as long as I put enough protein on them. I usually shoot for about 4oz of protein (in addition to whatever is in the cheese and extras) per salad; maybe a little more if it's chicken breast or a little less if it's beef or deli meat. Plus, my salads always have a bit of fat in the cheese and dressing, and tons of veggies for fiber and volume. Protein, fat, and fiber are all key factors in remaining satisfied. And, that's just my lunch, in addition to (usually) a greek yogurt for breakfast and a serving each of fruit and almonds as snacks during the day.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    I'm boring... lunches are one of a few options.

-turkey or roast beef wrap or pita with reduced fat cheese and reduced fat mayo, sriracha, arugula, red onion
    -soup (usually the healthy Progresso's although I'm making an effort to make my own)
    -salad greens, whatever veggies are around, leftover chicken (or whatever other protein) or hard boiled egg

I'm interested in the responses though to get more ideas. :smile:

• boring but easy. i made Crock pot chicken enchilada soup for lunch this week. but it doesnt taste good without cheese and sour cream :(

Why don't you want to add cheese and sour cream. Just measure/weigh and count.

The soup sounds delicious. Can you share the recipe?
    I'm horrible at measuring sour cream beecause I love it lol here's the recipe from skinny taste Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups + cheese • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7 pts
    Calories: 260.9 • Fat: 6.6 g • Protein: 25.4 g • Carb: 29.9 g • Fiber: 6.7 g • Sugar: 4.1 g
    Sodium: 572 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
    8 oz can tomato sauce
    1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
    15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
    2 cups frozen corn
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
    1/4 cup chopped scallions, for topping
    3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
    fat free sour cream (optional)

Directions:

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.

To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with fat free sour cream, cheese, scallions and cilantro. You can also top with avocado or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!
  • Sorry guys didn't know If I was allowed to add links so I copied and paste the recipe :noway:
  • rg37
    rg37 Posts: 6
    For my lunch today - left over lean steak, roasted sweet potato, broccoli, chilie lime and cashew nuts.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    I like to constantly snack instead of one lunch so today I have string cheese, mandarins, veggies with dip, strawberries and cherries, roasted chickpeas, yogurt, eaten over several hours. Even when I had a job that I couldn't eat anytime I wanted at, I would eat all the same things, just much faster. It does fill you up. that's a lot of food, volume wise.

At the end of the week, I often make a crockpot of soup or a "stir fry" with leftover produce, chicken, beans, quinoa, etc. I have a habit of buying more than I eat. I freeze it in individual portion microwavable containers. Also a good option, the broth makes it more filling.
  • NeIIaBeIIa
    NeIIaBeIIa Posts: 31 Member
    Lunch: fresh salad or steamed veges and 4+ oz protein (meat/fish/chicken/turkey)
    Dinner: fresh salad or steamed veges and 4+ oz protein (meat/fish/chicken/turkey)
    Breakfast: fruit + greek yoghurt + 2 eggs

Of course I sometimes eat other things too! But this is my staple daily 'recipe' 80% of the time.