"A calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of...

Options
Matt_Wild
Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
"A calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of thermodynamics"

I'm not gonna comment any more on this here as one will get flamed but I thought this was an interesting piece for those who may not think that its flatly 'a calorie is a calorie'.

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/3/1/9

Replies

• YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    In for the thrill ;)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Classic misdirection - attention-whoring headline says one thing, content says the exact opposite thing.

Been too many rounds on this - I just don't a give a **** anymore - people are going to believe what they want to believe regardless.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Outside of semantics about thermodynamics, the main argument in the paper seems to be that carbs have a lower thermic effect, which I don't think anyone disputes.
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Outside of semantics about thermodynamics, the main argument in the paper seems to be that carbs have a lower thermic effect, which I don't think anyone disputes.

Yes.... but don't you get it? This PROVES calories in calories out is flawed... it's not 100%.

So there is no point counting calories!!! Total waste of time.

Psst.... no I don't actually believe a word of that.... so what was the point of this and every other thread like it??? Oh no point? Got it. Thanks.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    OP, your ticker image is nice.

I've got nothing else of value to say.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    The no-carb jerks are jerks, period.

Go to Paris, France. What is one of the staples of the French diet? BAGUETTES! In fact, it's quite normal to have a MORNING BUN, for lunch French cheese and a baguette and baguette with your dinner. And they are RAIL THIN!

Same with ITALY - RAIL THIN, PASTA PASTA PASTA & bread! Amazing isn't it?

And Germany - THIN, RAIL THIN, loads of potatoes, bread in that diet too. Get out of your paleo/no-carb/atkins world and actually SEE the world, thin people are everywhere, thin people who eat BREAD are everywhere.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Go to Paris, France. What is one of the staples of the French diet? BAGUETTES! In fact, it's quite normal to have a MORNING BUN, for lunch French cheese and a baguette and baguette with your dinner. And they are RAIL THIN!

And Germany - THIN, RAIL THIN, loads of potatoes, bread in that diet too. Get out of your paleo/no-carb/atkins world and actually SEE the world, thin people are everywhere, thin people who eat BREAD are everywhere.

What are you doing, going around and spamming all the threads with this rant?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Just very passionate about bread...
  • QuietBloom
    Options

I'm not gonna comment any more on this here as one will get flamed but I thought this was an interesting piece for those who may not think that its flatly 'a calorie is a calorie'.

21n1gn5.jpg
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

21n1gn5.jpg

LOL

Here's a section of the conclusions of the paper. Let's see who has a clue what this paper is really about. Quite nice seeing people accidentally backing their opponent's arguments. It shows who's actually reading the literature.

"The seriousness of the obesity epidemic suggests that we attack it with all the means at our disposal. Metabolic advantage with low carbohydrate diets is well established in the literature. It does not always occur but the important point is that it can occur. To ignore its possibilities and to not investigate the precise conditions under which it appears would be cutting ourselves off from potential benefit. The extent to which metabolic advantage will have significant impact in treating obesity is unknown and it is widely said in studies of low carbohydrate diets that "more work needs to be done." However, if the misconception is perpetuated that there is a violation of physical laws, that work will not be done, and if done, will go unpublished due to editorial resistance. Attacking the obesity epidemic will involve giving up many old ideas that have not been productive. "
  • Runningforlove
    Runningforlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options

No i agree. That makes sense.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

21n1gn5.jpg

LOL

Here's a section of the conclusions of the paper. Let's see who has a clue what this paper is really about. Quite nice seeing people accidentally backing their opponent's arguments. It shows who's actually reading the literature.

"The seriousness of the obesity epidemic suggests that we attack it with all the means at our disposal. Metabolic advantage with low carbohydrate diets is well established in the literature. It does not always occur but the important point is that it can occur. To ignore its possibilities and to not investigate the precise conditions under which it appears would be cutting ourselves off from potential benefit. The extent to which metabolic advantage will have significant impact in treating obesity is unknown and it is widely said in studies of low carbohydrate diets that "more work needs to be done." However, if the misconception is perpetuated that there is a violation of physical laws, that work will not be done, and if done, will go unpublished due to editorial resistance. Attacking the obesity epidemic will involve giving up many old ideas that have not been productive. "

I'm not sure what you trying to say here, but I did see in another thread that you are getting quite 'passionate' about HFLC'ing. So I am assuming you are taking a jab at my response? There was nothing new under the sun that was covered in that article that has not already been covered. The final paragraph is the author's opinion on the matter, which he is quite welcome to, as you are are to yours. It does not matter TO HIM (or to you I guess) that there was very little in the actual article that supported his opinion.

Personally, I find the recent work on the gut microbiome differences between obese and never obese people to be far more compelling.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    A body builder and a master physicist. Move over, Carnot.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

21n1gn5.jpg

LOL

I'm not sure what you trying to say here, but I did see in another thread that you are getting quite 'passionate' about HFLC'ing. So I am assuming you are taking a jab at my response? There was nothing new under the sun that was covered in that article that has not already been covered. The final paragraph is the author's opinion on the matter, which he is quite welcome to, as you are are to yours. It does not matter TO HIM (or to you I guess) that there was very little in the actual article that supported his opinion.

Personally, I find the recent work on the gut microbiome differences between obese and never obese people to be far more compelling.

Bloom, I was not taking a jab at your response. In fact I found it on point.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Not sure the author or the OP has a grasp of the second law of thermodynamics.

This paper was written by an 8th grader, right?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

21n1gn5.jpg

LOL

Oh! Never mind then. :blushing:
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

21n1gn5.jpg

LOL

Oh! Never mind then. :blushing:

And I too am intrigued my the microbiome evidence. :flowerforyou:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    A body builder and a master physicist. Move over, Carnot.
    Different D-I-C-K Feynman. That'n's tits up already.

Edit- ohforserious?! It's his frelling *NAME*!
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options

calorie is a calorie

But different macros can have different affects on your body.

... I dont really care however. Love sugar, bread, junk food
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

No i agree. That makes sense.

I love carbs me. I have to say though, these thin people in the Mediterranean countries just aren't eating excess calories, that's why they aren't overweight. Btw thin French people don't eat bread and baguettes all day, but I know plenty of overweight ones that do.

Protein has a thermodynamic effect. It takes energy to digest it. I've read that it could be up to 25%, ie 1 of the 4 calories per g. I don't eat it because of that though, and I still count it the same. Those extra calories always sneak in somehow so hopefully my 500 calories of protein per day and the energy taken to digest it counteracts those little sneakies.