Why I no longer use MFP

Options
1235»

Replies

• sdevino
    Options
    I look at MFP as a learning device and a reality check as to how well I am paying attention to what I am really eating. I really enjoy being in control and having choices baed on knowledge.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem from OPs: Sometimes I wonder if I am entirely too relaxed about the whole thing. MFP has me at ~2300, and while I try to stay around 2000, I eat 2400-2500 pretty often...

I'm still losing at a pretty good clip, but the thing that does worry me is that every single person who has lost 100lbs (my goal) has done it by eating significantly less than me. Yet I don't think I can consistently do less than 2000. So I feel like there is a limit to my progress that I will hit at some point soon.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem from OPs: Sometimes I wonder if I am entirely too relaxed about the whole thing. MFP has me at ~2300, and while I try to stay around 2000, I eat 2400-2500 pretty often...

I'm still losing at a pretty good clip, but the thing that does worry me is that every single person who has lost 100lbs (my goal) has done it by eating significantly less than me. Yet I don't think I can consistently do less than 2000. So I feel like there is a limit to my progress that I will hit at some point soon.
    '

If MFP has you set at 2300, then you eat that 2300 PLUS more when you exercise. You are a man (I presume from your user name), and since you need to lose a significant amount, then this is an entirely reasonable goal based on your size. Those eating significantly less either are eating an appropriate amount for them, or they may not be doing it in a healthy way. The minimum amount that a man should eat is 1800.
  • journey_man
    journey_man Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks! Sorry, didn't mean to kill the thread... :blushing:
  • DeirdreGoals
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I should really stop logging because at this point it is not helpful, I found a great link about this for anyone in this boat. To each their own! And such an important tool to have. MFP served me so well at first but being within 8 pounds and logging daily for a year makes me realize I need to live and let live a bit more and be gentle with myself, time to celebrate the loss and just keep the healthy habits:) But I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MFP friends so its hard to go far. Just logging fitness sometimes helps.

http://dashingdish.com/to-count-calories-or-not-that-is-the-question/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. I should really stop logging because at this point it is not helpful, I found a great link about this for anyone in this boat. To each their own! And such an important tool to have. MFP served me so well at first but being within 8 pounds and logging daily for a year makes me realize I need to live and let live a bit more and be gentle with myself, time to celebrate the loss and just keep the healthy habits:) But I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MFP friends so its hard to go far. Just logging fitness sometimes helps.

http://dashingdish.com/to-count-calories-or-not-that-is-the-question/

I don't understand how people are logging in such a way that they don't feel like they're living and that they're being harsh with themselves. I've been logging bulks, cuts, and maintenance for a couple of years now I've never felt like the logging itself was diminishing my life in any way...or that I was being harsh.

I'm not saying that it's essential to log calories to enjoy life...but I'm confused as to how logging calories detracts from it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a classic failure of 1200 calorie dieting, not MFP.

Though, MFP is largely to blame for encouraging/allowing so many people to go on 1200 cal diets, but most of the folks who educate themselves in diet science choose a different path and are very successful with MFP.
  • lakenyagreen3686
    Options
    Well I can say that I did the same thing and I gained my weight back plus some, so now im back and I plan to make this a lifestyle and not a hassle