Egg Whites Vs Whole Eggs Controversy!

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    First world problems. There are places and people in this world that will never understand why anybody would throw perfectly good food away.

You know they sell egg whites in cartons right?

Do you think they come from yolk-free eggs? The yolks have to go somewhere.

Do you think businesses aimed at money making throw away half the product? :huh:

Fair point. I still wouldn't pay more money for getting less than whole eggs. Seems silly to me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to pay for egg yolks just to throw them away.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Well, at least this one doesn't have someone throwing the yolk out and replacing with cheese :grumble:

I do that, when making omelets, but only to hit my protein target without going over my calories. Since I prefer the flavor of cheese to egg yolks, I choose to add cheese. I buy the snot in the box, though. I don't know what the factory does with the yolks, but I don't like to waste them myself. :tongue:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Last night I had 10 egg whites scrambled with mushrooms at a Tastee Diner. They took it easy on the oil for me. It was delicious, and for 170 calories, I got 60 grams of protein.

Sorry, I'm having a problem with your math. If 1g of protein = 4 cal how could you have gotten 60g of protein for 170 cal?
  • keithemp
    Options
    Last night I had 10 egg whites scrambled with mushrooms at a Tastee Diner. They took it easy on the oil for me. It was delicious, and for 170 calories, I got 60 grams of protein.

Or I could've had 2.5 whole eggs and 15 grams of protein - 175 cal.

The article mentioned bioavailability of protein, but I'm really curious - - is the fraction of the absorbed protein >25% for egg whites?

Because even assuming you intravenously shoot whole eggs into your bloodstream, gram of protein per calorie, egg whites beat the crap out of whole eggs.

What a BS article. It's like people just throw terms around hoping no one knows what they mean to make their crappy, false points.
    lolwut?

lolwut would you like me to clarify for you?

I think he has a problem with your statement about 170 cal meal with 60g of protein. This is impossible as each gram of protein is 4 cals. 60 x 4 = 240 calorie minimum not counting any of the other nutrients in the food.

Your math is wrong, but he's being a bit of a jerk about it.
  • FitnessVixxen
    Options
    I like both.
    If I'm having fried eggs with toast, I prefer whole eggs, so I can dip the toast in the yolk.
    If I'm having an omelette, I prefer the whites... But that's a matter of personal taste.
    If I have scrambled eggs, they have to have cheese and onion/ham/something in them.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I like both.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whole eggs are great, but eating the whites without the yoke can help if you are trying to hit your protein macro target without going over your target fat intake.

Or calories. That's pretty much where I stand, honestly.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just can't be bothered to start splitting up my eggs just for an omelette. Besides, I've got chickens on the farm, working hard to give me that whole egg. I won't belittle their accomplishments by throwing out half the deal ;)

Lucky! I would love fresh eggs everyday.
  • OregonRunner5
    OregonRunner5 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I don't eat that many eggs, but when I do it's the whole egg because they're nutritious.
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less whether one eats the egg yolk or not, but this type of article is, IMO, a perfect example of the type of media hyped crap that has led people to be so confused about nutrition.

Ditto
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

The article mentioned bioavailability of protein, but I'm really curious - - is the fraction of the absorbed protein >25% for egg whites?

Because even assuming you intravenously shoot whole eggs into your bloodstream, gram of protein per calorie, egg whites beat the crap out of whole eggs.

What a BS article. It's like people just throw terms around hoping no one knows what they mean to make their crappy, false points.
    lolwut?

I think he has a problem with your statement about 170 cal meal with 60g of protein. This is impossible as each gram of protein is 4 cals. 60 x 4 = 240 calorie minimum not counting any of the other nutrients in the food.

Not just that. Comparing egg whites to whole eggs and then building an argument that it's better than whole eggs on a calorie for calorie basis based on protein, is well...........ok, yes of course it is lol.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

lolwut?

Thank you; the caloric calc was based on 17 calories per white and - being that I just entered the data last night - I relied upon what the MFP food database provided for the nutrition information rather than exercising independent thought. (6 grams protein per egg white. Derp.)
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If people want to eat just the white, just the yolk or even the shell mixed with toothpaste that's fine.

Personally I always have and probably always will eat the whole egg.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Not just that. Comparing egg whites to whole eggs and then building an argument that it's better than whole eggs on a calorie for calorie basis based on protein, is well...........ok, yes of course it is lol.

Comparing whole eggs to egg whites and then building an argument that whole eggs are better than egg whites based on the bioavailability of protein was exactly what the linked article did. "lol"

I'd be happy to have a rational discussion with you about it. Just let me know when you're done with your arm waving and scoffing.
  • thelaurameister
    thelaurameister Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I don't eat eggs that often, so when I do I eat the whole egg. If you have high cholesterol and eat eggs frequently, I could see the sense in cutting back the yolks and using more whites. Other than that, I vote just go for the entire egg.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites only ... I just cannot stand the taste of the yolk.
    So, for myself I buy the egg whites in the carton and the rest of the family enjoys the whole egg.
    Viola, problem solved :-)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Whole eggs. :love:
  • babber1170
    Options
    I went to Slimming World for 2 years 3 years back and ate whole eggs all the time and lost 3 stone......I am not saying thats all I ate (!) as I was eating a very balanced diet. Eggs are a free food on SW and after researching them, they are a natural source of all sorts of goodies so I would give a thumbs up, eat them whole.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Ok everyone, you've been discussing this for over two pages now. Can someone just give me a definitive answer:

Do I have to eat the egg yokes, or do I have to eat just the whites? Which is it?!

You " have to " make up your own mind......:o).