Plantar Fasciitis and Working Out

Options
13»

Replies

• Riiseli
    Riiseli Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another sufferer. Went for a six mile walk yesterday. It was not good, but I can't quite help myself plus dogs need the exercise as well. I found this blog post to be very helpful http://fitfunmom.com/2012/12/03/how-to-recover-from-plantar-fasciitis-heel-and-arch-pain/
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I was told emphatically to NOT do cortisone shots because it's only a short-term fix. I was really considering that too. :(

I had the cortisone shots in both my feet under ultra sound. It works, it gives relief if you can't get any any other way. It worked better on one foot than the other, just the luck of the draw.

Arch supports stop the tendon from being stretched flat when walking, supportive walking shoes are a must.
    A regular daily anti inflammatory like Mobic (meloxicam) for several weeks.
    The exercises that everyone mentions.
    I found alternating heat and ice useful.
    Massage.
    I'm a nurse but was lucky enough to have a job where I could still get off my feet occasionally through the day.
    Concrete floors are really hard on the feet.
    Hope it settles for you.
    Swimming is probably the best option but calorie deficit is the answer to weight loss.

I haven't had the PF back since the injections 2 years ago.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have had this in the past and it has again returned. The thing that helped me the most was the night splint (made a huge difference) and lots of stretching of your whole leg. Calves and hamstrings especially. This time the pain was in a different area, so I didnt recognize it right away as planter fasciitis, so I was late to start all this stuff.

Something new though, a massage therapist recommended reflexology for plantar fasciitis. I tried it yesterday. I don't know about all the claims they make with that, but it was a very indepth and stretching massage and my feet feel better today already. I can totally see this helping a lot.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it has been suggested yet or not but you can get inserts for your shoes from Pharmacies that can be quite good for PF.
  • Riiseli
    Riiseli Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Another sufferer. Went for a six mile walk yesterday. It was not good, but I can't quite help myself...
    Now I've helped myself since March, which has been a pain, but the reward has been being heel pain free for maybe a month now. I finally dared another longer walk yesterday. Didn't feel a thing then and don't feel a thing now. I'll still be careful, but yippee! I'm sure losing 28lbs has helped the process even though I've been on a hiatus from rigorous logging and way laxer with my eating for nearly three months (and as a result have only lost like 4lbs during that span). But now that I'm finally starting to believe I can really walk more, we'll see how my weight will develop. I'm hoping to get back on track in September, which has been my plan for this hiatus all along. Now it'll only be with an added bonus of more exercise.