Jealous of spouses extra available calories

Options
1235»

Replies

• judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Increase your calorie intake at each meal. That way you're not under calories and not snacking at night while she can't. Or, she could decrease her calories at each meal so that she has calories left over to share an evening snack with you.

This is probably the best solution. Maybe have a larger breakfast and lunch and just save enough for the evening snack so you can both have the same thing, like airpopped popcorn.

I think you're being a very kind and considerate husband to think of this. Ultimately, she's going to need to just understand you'll have more calories than her. That's just life.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It's tough during the winter months when I'm bulking/gaining weight. I'm trying to consistently get 3,000+ cals a day and my wife is trying to eat half that. Our dinners/main meals are similar but the house is stocked with high cal foods for my additional meals/snacks. She struggles to stay away from the ice cream, etc. I follow IIFYM and she believes low carb is the the way to go for her. I wouldn't want to stare at things in the cupboard that I'm not supposed to eat either, but hey, we each gotta do what we gotta do. Can't feel bad about it.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Physically remove all traces of being a dude by having the surgeries to make you a woman, take hormone supplements, and cry a lot. :huh:

Seriously, it's called testosterone. Also why you build muscle faster than we do. Blame physiology, because that's just how we're built. Men ALWAYS have a higher caloric allowance, plus you are likely taller FFS. :noway:

ETA jealous =/= supportive.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Like taxes, calories can be done jointly.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    First, If you ditch those 500 calories, it might do you more harm than good. Don't forego them because the wife is jealous.

I have the same issue with my husband though. Yeah, it sucks that he gets more than me to eat. It also sucks that chocolate doesn't count the same as broccoli!! It is what it is. You have your journey and she has hers. Unfortunately, she needs to overcome that.

That doesn't mean you guys can't have an agreement though on that evening snack. I've often told my husband - "You can have your evening snack, but would you mind not having it right in front of me? I'm out (of calories) for the day and it's going to be hard for me to watch you eat your snack." And he just grins and goes into the other room.

You could also adjust the portions at meals to help in maybe not "having to have" that snack at night. Or you could add a snack at work so she doesn't have to see you eating it.
  • roniredd
    Options
    My husband is alloted a lot more calories than I am ... and it's hard, really hard. I simply try to stay focused, eat foods that give me the most "bang for my buck," and try to save some for dessert. But, I definitely can understand how she feels. It's hard, but she should work on keeping her eye on the prize!
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    500cals for a night time snack way too much, try use more during the day..and you won't need to snack of a night time. The night the snack is probably tormenting her.

But seriously, she needs to get a grip and you shouldn't reduce your calories because you feel guilty about how she feels.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    500cals for a night time snack way too much, try use more during the day..and you won't need to snack of a night time. The night the snack is probably tormenting her.

But seriously, she needs to get a grip and you shouldn't reduce your calories because you feel guilty about how she feels.

500 calories for a night time snack is fine as long as it fits within the OP's calorie goals. I do agree that this is mostly his wife's problem. Again, why isn't she saving some calories for her night time snack?