Worst Car You've Ever Owned

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    80's Mercury Lynx...........I eventually turned it into an off road dune buggy
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    2011 Fully loaded Hyundai Sonata, garbage!!!!!!!

Seriously?? I was going to look at buying one at some point haha why was it so bad?

everything!!! the sunroof has been replaced 3 times and still leaks, I just gave up and accept it. brake switch broke which means my car wouldn't start, power windows work when they want.

Of course the dealer can't reproduce anything because it's random so they basically just said wait until it breaks down completely, it has one more year under warranty and then it's gone!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    1999 Ford Crown Victoria. A huge ship of a car, in "old person silver" (though it always looked beige to me). Got it for super cheap when my zia and zio couldn't keep driving. Hubcaps refused to stay on; I used to get accusations of "bad driving" being the cause, but any other car I've driven never had the problem, and I notice hubcaps missing from Crown Vics and Grand Marquis all the time...

There's nothing like a completely unbalanced RWD car in Michigan winters. Even with sandbags in the trunk, the thing would get stuck on 1" of ice (and I mean, 1" in length, in an otherwise dry parking lot), or spin out on virtually nothing. When I finally saved up to put the best winter tires money can buy, which made a slight difference, the car pretty much blew the big one a month or two later despite routine maintenance. Ford isn't even going to make the cars anymore.

Ugh. I guess it was good for doing the dirty in.

ETA: My 2002 Subaru Legacy (L, so standard, boring, mule of a car) has had to have close to $4k in repairs over the three years I've had it (I, of course, bought a car with a nicely vague Carfax about what repairs were done in the past; Subarus pre-2004 are so much trouble), and currently is an embarrassment to look at after a hailstorm damaged everything a month after I put it on PLPD.

I still think my Crown Vic was worse.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My first car was a white 1980 Mustang. It was awful.

I hadd this car ^^^ and it was also the worst I've ever owned. The oil rings stuck and the engine blew and left 20 year old me sitting with a dead car on a blind curve at midnight out in the middle of nowhere. Before the age of cell phones. Luckily a toothless old truck driver with a facial tic stopped and helped me.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    1974 Camero

Driving to work at 18 years old, freeze plug blew, interior filled with white smoke....thought I was going to die!

Makes me laugh now!:laugh:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    1988 Hyundai Excel. Actually it was a great car until I got it for my 16th birthday. I lived in the mountains of CO and drove that thing like a Peugeot rally car. It could do about 50 on washboard dirt roads and even made it up a couple of 4x4 trails. I ran it into a steel pole and had to replace the driver side door. The frame was bent so after a while the new door wouldn't open so I had to crawl through the passenger side. The window was shot out while I was driving down the highway one day. I did love it though. If I folded the back seats down, I could fit about 5 people in the hatchback. I have some awesome memories of that car.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    1972 AMC Hornet 4 door with a 232 CID inline 6 engine

Babe Magnet

amc_hornet_4door_red_1977.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I am not sure which one's the worst. There are two I had in college, and I hated both a LOT. 1987 Chrysler Fifth Avenue (huge ugly red boat of a car with red plush interior...horrible) which actually ran very well until it began to have electrical issues and then I crashed it...or 1985 Mercury Marquis, which was pretty crap the entire time I had it (fortunately just around one year and then I was able to get a nicer car).
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    1999 Volvo S80, it was a complete and utter lemon. Broke down on me two weeks after purchasing it. In the first two years I owned it, it was in the shop more than it was in my possession. I will never buy a foreign car again. Sticking to Chevy's and Fords!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Ford Taurus, circa 1996
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    1982 VW Quantum (I drove it in 1994) my first car and if you turned it off you had to wait at least 20 minutes before you could start it up again. I think it only lasted about 5 months until it died and I took over my parents 87 Ford Taurus (manual transmission) which was one of my favorite cars.

i4430_4.jpg
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    A 1987 Plymouth colt. It didn't even have an air conditioner in it. It was like driving an oven. But it was free so I couldn't really complain. :ohwell: I called it my pony.
    29401501_1X.JPG
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Ford Taurus, circa 1996

My mom had this car, brand new in '96, and like 2 months later I totaled it driving on ice.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    1972 Ford Pinto Wagon.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    First car ever driven to highschool(YAY Me) was a puky green Ford Pinto. I actually got offers from fellow students wanting to buy it.
  • GhostriderMav
    GhostriderMav Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1979 Chevy monza spyder..sucked almost killed me several times
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    A stupid Dodge Stratus.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Hyundai Pony... this POS defies description. Just happy I survived long enough to sell it.

0211pony.jpg
  • breakingthecycle722
    Options
    Right now I drive a vw jetta 98 or 99 I cant remember. The muffler is about to fall off, two of the windows dont roll down, the doors freeze shut at the slightest drop in temp, o and the reverse is going out. POS
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My dad owns a used car lot.

When I was working for him, I drove a different car just about every week to "test" them out and take note of any work that needed to be done.

All time worsts that I drove:

90s model Taurus - Everyone I got into except maybe one or two had slips in the transmission.
    90s model Proteges - Every dang one had an overheating problem
    Malibus with the 3.0 - Motor blew at least once in every one. They all either had a rebuilt/new motor because the previous one blew or had one that was about to blow
    90s model Explorers - Nicknamed Exploders, cause that's what they did
    All Dodge cars - Dead Or Dying Garbage
    And I would never suggest a PT Loser, biggest piece of crap I have ever bought.

Now my 97 Ford Mustang, I put that thing threw heck and back and it still held up. And my 95 Acura Integra, you couldn't kill it. Even after I rolled it a few times, the sucker still crank up and ran. It had to totaled after that of course but the B18 in that sucker was about indestructible.