Juicing, baby.

Options
123457»

Replies

• bieryhousehold
    Options
    I love juicing! I use it as a boost to decreasing my calories per day. I just started back on a strict weight loss program and have consistently added juicing to every day. It makes me feel better and gives me more energy. I still eat an apple a day but I could never sit down and eat four carrots, two apples and five stalks of celery but I can juice it and feel good, healthy and full until my next meal. This is the first time I have added juicing to such a strict diet and I really believe it is making me more successful. We shall see, weigh in on 1/15 but I feel smaller and my husband says I have already lost weight and I am five days in.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I don't really see the point in posting if I'm not going to even be open to opposing viewpoints, lol.

THIS. This right here makes you win MFP today! You won't believe how many people are closed off to advice and differing opinions!

Wow that is seriously refreshing, this post made my day! :smile: :happy: :happy:
    I was thinking the same. :flowerforyou:
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I don't really see the point in posting if I'm not going to even be open to opposing viewpoints, lol.

THIS. This right here makes you win MFP today! You won't believe how many people are closed off to advice and differing opinions!

Wow that is seriously refreshing, this post made my day! :smile: :happy: :happy:
    I was thinking the same. :flowerforyou:

Oh, you guys!! :blushing:
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    I love juicing! I use it as a boost to decreasing my calories per day. I just started back on a strict weight loss program and have consistently added juicing to every day. It makes me feel better and gives me more energy. I still eat an apple a day but I could never sit down and eat four carrots, two apples and five stalks of celery but I can juice it and feel good, healthy and full until my next meal. This is the first time I have added juicing to such a strict diet and I really believe it is making me more successful. We shall see, weigh in on 1/15 but I feel smaller and my husband says I have already lost weight and I am five days in.

This is great to hear! So you're using juicing as a supplement rather than a substitute (or, God for bid, a "detox," haha). I'd love it if you kept me posted on how your 1/15 weigh in goes! Sounds like you're still getting plenty of great nutrition, which is guaranteed to make you feel better regardless of what form you're getting it in! Congrats on the changes, sounds like you're doing a fantastic job!
  • cassy_runs
    Options
    Careful in posting, friend.... these people will eat you alive.

Honestly, they are right... I was harping on this earlier because someone had told me that I needed to juice and only eat soups and stuff.... truth is.. you can get more by eating it whole... and you will feel fuller. But being right isn't a good reason to be harsh to those reaching out.

You're awesome. ;) I'm still glad I posted, because amid the harshness there's been a lot of helpful insight that I may not have gotten if I'd just jumped right in and done things the way I'd been planning. I've just been sifting through the crap (rudeness) and collecting the hard evidence I've been given.

Thanks!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Okay. In the first line of my original post, I worded that poorly. I said I want to juice fruits and vegetables and that will be the only thing I consume; I mean to say that fruits and vegetables and other plant-based foods will be the only things I consume; so there will be plenty of sources of both healthy fats and protein from places like lentils, soybeans (all beans, more or less), all kinds of nuts, legumes, etc. So between eating those things and juicing a lot, I will be getting plenty of nutrients.

As far as the detox thing goes, I've lived my whole life eating processed crap at basically every meal. My health and fitness journey is a young one, and I'm still in the process of making trade-outs of processed, less natural food items for those that are more wholesome and nutrient-rich. I've done lots of research on the effects of the chemicals found in things like artificial sweeteners, diet sodas (or regular sodas), milk, etc. and I'm aware that my body could be functioning at a much higher level both physically and cognitively if I were to rid it of the junk that has been put in it. Of course my body and my mind will feel better even after the juice cleanse as I continue to lose weight and build lean muscle. Juicing isn't something I plan to do exclusively for an extended period of time. Of course, I definitely appreciate everyone's concern and willingness to voice those!

Did your research include basic Google searches and/or episodes of Dr. Oz? Spend some time on some actual scientific data, better yet, read through lab research where they actually look into this type of thing. You body is a natural detox machine. So long as you get a basic amount of vitamins, minerals and water, it'll detox your body. As long as you give your body these nutrients, which really isn't that hard to reach the recommended amount every day, you'll function as you should. The vast majority of excess nutrients get flushed out through waste anyway. There is a lot of information online saying your body is in danger from what you eat etc, but often times, once you actually dig into the scientific research, you'll see they are full of melarchy.

That being said, I've recently fancied using a mix of V8 splash and water as the base, and then piling on the spinich, yogurt, vanilla protein powder, and whatever other veggies and fruts I can find. Usually I'll blend this up every morning and drink it throughout the day. IT makes about 4-5 glasses at about 200 calories a glass. I generally eat about 2300 calories so it still leaves me room to eat other tasties throughout the day :D
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    You're awesome. ;) I'm still glad I posted, because amid the harshness there's been a lot of helpful insight that I may not have gotten if I'd just jumped right in and done things the way I'd been planning. I've just been sifting through the crap (rudeness) and collecting the hard evidence I've been given.

Thanks!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    omg I'm swooning.
    This woman is my new superhero.

#doingitright
  • grammiemaggs
    Options
    thank goodness you put that comma between those two words in the topic name.

Oh My Word ... that is funny :laugh:
  • cassy_runs
    Options

Thanks!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
    omg I'm swooning.
    This woman is my new superhero.

#doingitright

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :flowerforyou:
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Juicing violates my main rule:

Never do anything today that you aren't willing to do every day for the rest of my life.

Which is why I'm on a chocolate diet :laugh:
  • elsexox
    Options
    I plan to start the juicing detox/fast tomorrow. I have also done a ton of research before I decided to do this. In the last two weeks I have juiced all day eating one small meal throughout the day and I have lost 5 pounds doing so. Tomorrow, I plan to go full force and juice for 30 - 60 days. I am not certain I want to go the full 60 days yet, but I think after the 30 days I will want to continue. I am not doing this for the weight loss itself though I do hope to lose a chunk of weight with juicing and exercising, and of course I plan to continue healthy eating habits after juicing. I am doing this because I have been abusing my body for years with unhealthy eating habits, and have many diagnoses - the two worst diagnoses are high blood pressure and migraines that are so painful I can't get out of bed for a week. When choosing any diet people will have their own opinions, and that's fine. I'm sure many people out there started their diet and people were discouraging them, but what many of us forget is that WE put ourselves in this position and only WE can get ourselves out of it, and many people have their own thoughts and ways to lose weight. If we all supported each other in our journey to losing weight it would be SO MUCH EASIER for everyone. For those of you who have negative thoughts on the subject I recommend you look further into it - juicing has been proven to cure many things, cancer included. I have many thoughts on this subject, and I would love to convert everyone into thinking that juicing is a good idea, but I don't have to because all I know is that juicing is right for me!

Cassie_Runs

I love that you don't take any BS from anyone. I respect that.
    Good luck on your journey. I know the outcome will be great!
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people who have replied in the negative have actually tried a juice detox....

No one on earth has ever tried a juice detox because there's no such thing.

The word "detox" actually means something, and it doesn't mean "drinking water and/or juice."

The whole thread is referring to the term "detox" meaning "drinking water and juice" so that is the term I used. I don't care what the dictionary definition is, this thread defines a "detox" as drinking juice so for the purposes of this thread that's what it means. I could use the term "juice fast" I suppose but I'm not going to pander to anyone's anal retentiveness about terminology.
    The main benefits of juicing are that these days it is impossible to eat enough fresh fruit and vegetables to get the nutrients we need because of modern farming practices depleting the soil of nutrients/chemical fertilisers etc etc (hence why organic is always best).

I don't think "organic" means what you think it means.

In Australia, "organic" is defined as "The basic principle of organic farming is to achieve optimum quantities of produce and food of high nutritional quality without the use of artificial fertilisers or synthetic chemicals. It does not use genetically modified foods, growth promoters or hormones. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic farming emphasises the need to maintain appropriate land management and aims to ecologically achieve the balance between animal life, the natural environment and food crops. Organic farmers do not use pesticides or herbicides. The produce that is produced through organic farming is thus at its most natural form".

Not sure if it means the same in America.
    By juicing, you are getting more nutrients because you can drink a lot more veggies than you can eat.

The implication is that more nutrients are better...?

Yes of course more nutrients is better - the whole point of eating calories is to give our bodies and brains nutrients to function. If you disagree, again please explain why rather than just making random statements in the negative. I'm always happy to learn new things.
    Watch the documentary "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" if you can get your hands on it - proof that juicing is good for us.

Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead is not a "documentary." It's a propaganda film to sell juicers and books. It is full of misinformation, BS, and outright lies. The diet plan it promotes is very unhealthy. The film is not "proof" of anything except how incredibly gullible people are.

Please elaborate what the "misinformation, BS, and outright lies are". I saw 2 extremely fat, unhealthy men get slim and healthy through juicing. Are you suggesting otherwise? I enjoyed the film and I think it has some real good messages about how getting back to eating (or drinking) fruit and vegetables is the best thing to regain health and lose weight. If you disagree that's fine but it would be good if you could up your statements with some facts. How could you possibly think it was an unhealthy diet considering they were pretty unhealthy before and at the end of their juice fasts they were much healthier. Obviously you wouldn't do it for the rest of your life but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible either.

I always feel so much more energetic and healthier after a few days of juicing so you'll never convince me it is a bad thing.
  • vlgriffin1
    Options
    I recently purchased an Omega 8006 slow masticating juicer and LOVE it! I spent quite some time researching before coming to the conclusion that this was the best juicer for me, and have been very pleased. I was already looking into juicing vs. blending and had pretty much settled on blending with a Vitamix, when I broke my tailbone. With no possible medical cure for the severe break, I researched the best nutrients for bone health/healing and the fastest way for my body to absorb them....juicing. I initially juiced twice a day, but after a few weeks I'm juicing once or twice every few days. For me, it's only a supplement to a healthy balanced diet. I feel like it's a great way to quickly get a lot of the nutrients my diet has been missing in the past. I bought my juicer at Bed Bath and Beyond....you can go online first, sign up for their email list, and get a 20% off coupon (substantial savings on such a large one item purchase). Soooooo.... probably TMI when you were just asking for juicer recommendations!!! Hope this helps!!