Sugar Sugar Sugar Sugar!

Options
So, I was sitting on the couch with my mother last night. She is a huge proponent of eating healthy and exercise, and she knows how many problems I've had with my weight loss. She tossed an issue of National Geographic into my lap with the cover being a yummy looking cupcake with pink frosting and she told me to read it.

"Sugar, A Not so Sweet Story" was the title. I chuckled. I began to read. I figured it would just rehash whatever stuff I'd heard before --- carbs are the enemy, pop is bad, America is fat, et al. I was soon to be proven dreadfully wrong. The article, which is quite a good read (I will contain a link in this post to it on the NG website), details the problems with sugar in today's diet --- everything from added sugar, corn syrup, sucralose, and all of those other sugar chemicals. It tells of how diabetes and other health problems are arising --- due to an excessively high amount of sugar in the food we eat. It even discusses how the slave trade began, because of a demand for sugar. Most doctors are now agreeing that sugar, not fat, is the main reason for weight gain, diabetes, and a host of cardiovascular problems. It is a food for thought story. Please read it --- it's a very good article

I figured to post in this thread since it is directly related to food and eating.

ENJOY! :D

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/sugar/cohen-text

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks for posting
  • savannahribeiro
    savannahribeiro Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No worries!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    ...details the problems with sugar in today's diet --- everything from added sugar, corn syrup, sucralose, and all of those other sugar chemicals. It tells of how diabetes and other health problems are arising --- due to an excessively high amount of sugar in the food we eat.
    Most doctors are now agreeing that sugar, not fat, is the main reason for weight gain, diabetes, and a host of cardiovascular problems.

Absolute nonsense, nothing in that statement is true or factual. Excess consumption leads to obesity, which is the main contributing factor to health problems. Neither fat nor sugar are to blame. "Most doctors"...as in very few?
    ... it's a very good article

No, it really is not. Not a single source cited, it's an opinion piece feeding off the, currently, popular boogyman...sugar.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey honey...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Where are the sources?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Where are the sources?

Hey, I was about to ask that.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Where are the sources?

Why do you need sources? It's sugar. Everyone knows that sugar is da debil. No cite needed.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey honey honey honey

FTFY

sugar is not the enemy.

remember when fat used to be the enemy?
    wheat was the enemy once too.
    oh and CARBS!!!! those evil evil carbs!!

everything in moderation is fine. (except meth...meth is pretty bad in any amount. an bath salts...that **** will make you eat your friends!)
    unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar you really dont have to.
    it makes life a little........sweeter.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Oh, honey honey...
    Honey is as bad as sucrose. Ok.....if you leave the pollen and the leg and wing parts in, then there is some additional nutrition besides pure calories from a quickly absorbed simple carbohydrate.

When I worked for a bee keeper, I kinda liked the fact that my honey was not translucent (body parts, pollen, etc.).
  • harveler
    Options

FTFY

sugar is not the enemy.

everything in moderation is fine. (except meth...meth is pretty bad in any amount. an bath salts...that **** will make you eat your friends!)

The above scientific studies i posted will support the fact that sugar is harmful and that excessive consumption is directly linked with diabetes. Case closed on that.

The modern wheat plant is vastly different from what it once was and should not be consumed:
    http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/02/27/three-reasons-wheat-makes-you-fat-raises-risk-diseases-99957

Carbs are certainly not "evil," but unless you have an extremely high activity level excessive consumption of carbs (and sugar as well) will result in increased fat stores. Low carb diets are effective as they force your body to burn fat for energy instead of carbs. However, you should also take in healthy fats like omega fats and medium chain triglyceride (sp).
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have started to think that while sugar is not a bad thing, the reality that sugar exacerbates cravings in a lot of people exists. So, more sugar in the diet, more cravings, more eating. Vicious cycle.

No, no sources, nothing more than my babbling brain.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

FTFY

sugar is not the enemy.

The above scientific studies i posted will support the fact that sugar is harmful and that excessive consumption is directly linked with diabetes. Case closed.

And the excessive consumption of calories from any food group will eventually lead to obesity, which is directly linked to diabetes. Case reopened
  • harveler
    Options
    Completely irrelevant as we are specifically discussing sugar. Stay with me here.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    this is going to be interesting...
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Completely irrelevant as we are specifically discussing sugar. Stay with me here.

We are discussing a link with diabetes and obesity as per your posted studies

However your post has completely changed since I first answered it
  • harveler
    Options
    furthermore your caloric intake is going to vary depending on your goal and what ratio of protein/carbs/fat you are consuming. Marathon runners/boxers/cyclists will need far more calories and carbs than your average joe (I believe Michael Phelps consumes 6500 calories a day just to maintain his weight),.
  • harveler
    Options

We are discussing a link with diabetes and obesity as per your posted studies

and their relation to sugar
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

It will be much easier to stay with you if you will use the "quote" link instead of "reply".

Also, for the record, I disagree with most of your conclusions in this thread so far...

...I'm just not arsed enough to rebut each of your bogus points. Fortunately, for everyone involved, I'm sure others will be along shortly to do just that.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Oh Christ, this will not end well.