Don't you fuss at me.... : )

Options
So, I just started yesterday on my life changing journey so don't be too hard on me. Okay, you know the little girl in the movie "Signs" who thought all water tasted funny, well that's me, except not so little. I think all water has some kind of funny after taste to it. I've tried them all. I've been drinking quite a bit of water every day for the last couple weeks but with the flavor stuff in it. I guess I'm asking does it still "count" as intake when I drink the water with sweeteners? Thanks!

And if anyone wants to friend me, I'll be much grateful for the support. :bigsmile:

Replies

• JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    As long as the sweetners do not add sugars or calories, count them! You have to start somewhere right? Welcome and good luck! FR sent!
  • lessofless
    lessofless Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to like the taste of water, so I can understand why you don't like it. I'm not sure what exactly you are drinking. Some of those "water" drinks are just awful. Vitamin Water comes to mind... what a joke. Same amount of sugar as a pop.

I think the main thing is that you are getting your liquids in. I have a friends who is pretty health conscious, but she never drinks water. She always adds a Crystal Light package to it. It took me a while to get on board with her counting that as her daily water intake, but it makes sense. She's still having that water, she is just also having some sweetener and chemicals. It's not ideal, but it is much better than not drinking any water in the first place.

You could always try to spice up your water with fruit and vegetables. A little bit of lemon goes a long way. But if you don't like that, you could add cucumber, berries, oranges, etc. A nice light flavour can really enhance your water.
  • lavenders16
    lavenders16 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I laughed when I read this because my husband makes fun of me all the time because I leave my water glasses all over the place with just a little water in them. He says I'm like the girl from signs too. I don't think the water taste funny I just forget where they are. I personally do not like the taste of artificial sweeteners so I stay clear of them and just got used to the taste of coffee, teas and water without them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love water and drink alot, but to change it up I drink a lot of soda water (clud soda) with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I drink a portion of my water with Crystal Light in it. Not because I don't like water...just so that I can have something different and it has helped to replace the diet cokes (all except one daily).
  • SerenaKitty
    Options
    Yes, it still counts as water.

Have you tried filtering your tap water?
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You gotta start somewhere! I had to do that at first too. I started using less and less over time and now I just put a little lemon or lime juice in it and I'm good.
  • MzFyreKitty
    Options
    Yes, it counts with your fluid intake. I drink decaf tea myself. I've lost over 120 lbs and didn't eat a fad diet of any type, just cut down the junk and ate more veggies and fruits with my lean protein and whole grains.
  • wnt2bhlthy2
    Options
    Yes, I've tried filtering my water too. I don't know why I can't find one I like. I've always been weird at drinking anything. I've never done sodas either. I drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning and could go all day without anything else to drink. Even at dinner, I would fix my family all drinks but would sit down with nothing. I'll just stick to my sweeteners for now and get used to drink water.

Thanks for commenting and all the friends request!
  • kristypike
    Options
    Maybe try getting a water bottle that has an infuser in it? I put lemons, limes, or cucumbers in mine to give it some flavor and to hide any after tastes that there may be.
  • chopper_pilot
    chopper_pilot Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Dont lazer focus on tiny things like this.

Worry more about how consistent your workouts are for the next 6 months.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    While I do agree with the others that "Yes, it does technically count as intake", it's not the best because of those artificial sweeteners. I would suggest, as others have, spritzing it with lime, or lemon... something natural. Not only will it taste better, but a lot of things that you add to water can actually have health benefits too.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I would recommend staying away from the artificial sweeteners, they actually make you hungrier.

Watch Forks over Knives, its on netrflix.

Friend me if you want, but be warned I am blunt and honest in my comments and opinions.

I will however support and help in anyway I can.

good luck on your journey
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to not be a big water drinker either, but now I love it.. I even crave it sometimes. There are some waters I don't like to drink bc it tastes a little funny, but there's one brand that to me has no after taste whatsoever and that is Smart water. I love that stuff! Plus, it has electrolytes in it, so it helps your fluid balance.. great all around.

You can add me if you'd like :)
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Have you tried squeezing some good ole fashioned lemon or lime into your water? :smile:
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Fuji water, but I don't get it often as it's rather expensive. It's...soft...soft! I don't know how else to describe it.

I started off by adding Crystal Light packets to my water. Some of them are really strong, so rather than adding it to a 16.9 oz bottle, I add it to 32oz of water. After a while I just started using it less and less, now I just drink it plain. I don't like it ice cold either, I prefer room temp.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Maybe try getting a water bottle that has an infuser in it? I put lemons, limes, or cucumbers in mine to give it some flavor and to hide any after tastes that there may be.

Me too. I use fresh mint leaves from a plant in my kitchen. Tastes amazing and fells good in my stomach too.

I hate to drink too much because I pee all the time. And I mean ALL the time. It irritates my husband no end. If I drink 8 glasses a day, I visit the bathroom at least 12 times during the day, and a couple of times in the night. But I make myself drink anyway.

I am not sick, I regularly get checked, I just have the smallest bladder!
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like the zero calorie drink enhancers. Lots of flavors!! Good luck!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Are you chronically dehydrated?
  • parkchick
    Options
    I switched from diet pepsi to klarbrunn sparking water with a touch of lime....I think part of me just want that fizzy thing. It's still refreshing and I can get my caffeine elsewhere. Now I can "burp" and know that it's just water and not the horrible thing soda has in it....