One year on, nearly 60lbs down...(pic)

Options
It's been a whole year since I made the decision to lose weight. I've been really self-concious over my weight since I was about 14 and was forever doing faddy diets that lasted 5 minutes in attempt to get the weight off, but could never find something to stick to. The simple answer of "move more, eat less" escaped me.

At just 5"2, I was 13 stone 1lb (183lbs) putting me in the "obese" category according to my BMI. I never took my body fat percentages or measurements beforehand because if I'm being honest I didn't think I'd be able to stick to it and didn't want to depress myself with beginning photos and percentages only to look at them a few months later to find I was the same if not worse. I was a UK size 16/18 depending on the store/fit and was considered "plus size" or "curvy" by a lot of shops and struggled to find nice clothes in the shops that included 16/18's in the normal ranges. I had no self-esteem. I hated myself. I was so paranoid, it was awful.

A year on and I am now 8 stone 12lbs (124lbs), dropping 59 lbs (4 stone 3lbs). I took my body fat percentage and measurements etc. in March and have gone from an obese bodyfat percentage of around 33% to 25%, which I'd like to lower a little more. I've lost over 10 inches from my waist, 9 inches from my hips, 9 inches from my bust, 6 inches from my thighs. I'm now a UK size 10 though I occasionally fit an 8 in some things. In fact the dress I'm wearing in the right photo is a size 8! I'm now a lot happier, a lot more confident and more importantly, healthy. And clothes shopping is now a fun, rather than painful experience. I'm by no means where I want to be, I want to lose around another 12 or so pounds, a few more inches and I want to work on my body fat, but I am relatively happy and I know I will be where I want to be before the end of the year. And if I'm not, it doesn't matter. It's not a race!

Here is a photo - the right was from a friends birthday a few years ago, believe it or not this probably wasn't me at my heaviest weight either! I didn't take any proper before photos as I mentioned above and as you can imagine I wasn't a fan of getting many full body photos taken of me, so this is the best I could find. I'm really embarrassed to be posting it, but eh. The photo on the right was taken today. I often have days where I look in the mirror and think "you don't look much different, in fact you look worse", so putting these photos side by side is a bit of a shock for me. It's really made me realise I've come a long way.

2w6yp05.jpg

I done this by *gasp* eating less and moving more! Sorry if that sounds patronising but it really is that simple. I cut down on my calories, ate healthier though still had treats, just ate in moderation, 8 glasses of water a day, walking, 30 Day Shred, Just Dance, Wii Fit, Callanetics, jump rope, My Fitness Coach for the Wii, elliptical, light weight lifting, squats, crunches, Ab Roller etc.

If I, a greedy and lazy so-and-so can do this, so can you. :)

Replies

• awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, congratulations :]
  • claireplum
    claireplum Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss! You look great at 8st 12! Hoping I can get there soon!
  • jamiebxo
    jamiebxo Posts: 116
    Options
    Thankyou both! :) means alot!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That is wonderful progress!
  • xkimberlee007
    xkimberlee007 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You were hot before but now you are gorgeous
    Congratulations!
  • jamiebxo
    Options
    Thankyou so much seajolly and kimann3! ^_^
  • ekrivera84
    ekrivera84 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look fantastic! :smile:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Awesome work!!
  • Aes37850
    Options
    Girl, you're doing fantastic! Keep up the good work! And yes, I've had the same issues too with the fad diets. And you can really eat more quantity wise with quality good for you foods! It's amazing! Best wishes on you finishing up! :)
  • jodybo2
    jodybo2 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Amazing job! You look wonderful. If you don't mind my asking, how many calories did you net to lose? I am 5'2" also and haven't quite figured it out!
  • StonesUnturned
    StonesUnturned Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great work. Thanks for posting.
  • jamiebxo
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone! I really appreciate it :) was scared to post at first but glad I did now! & jodybo2, I started off with 1200 because MFP calculated that for me, it worked well but I've recently upped to 1360 now as I find 1200 too low now!
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Great job!!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    geezus you have incredible eyes! nice work on the weight loss too :flowerforyou:
  • red869
    red869 Posts: 59
    Options
    Great job! You look stunning :)
  • jamiebxo
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys! :) and aw thanks lilricki :blushing:
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look fantastic!! Great work, you're such an inspiration!
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You look awesome hon, congrats!
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    you look amazing!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    You look great. Congratulations! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!