What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    My friends have been pestering me to read Dune for ages now, and I've finally gotten around to it. Really enjoying it so far! It's been a while since I've read some sci-fi.

I took a Science Fiction Literature grad course as one of my humanities in college. (I are a engineer.) Dune was one of the books on the reading list and everyone was complaining about its length. I had already read it twice.

Easiest A I ever got.
  • pds06
    pds06 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    No reading is for people who don't feel the need to look in a mirror all day and take pictures of themselves. :noway:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    ^ It was a pathetic childish comment , don't rise to the bait.

Not your comment, I mean the one you are responding to.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Just Kids - Patty Smith Autobiographical account of her friendship with Robert Mapplethorpe . Excellent so far
    also a 33 1/3 book about the making of Horses
    Both birthday gifts
    I've also got a biography of Mordecai Richler waiting for me to get at it
  • emmaroid1981
    emmaroid1981 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just started Dan Brown Angels & Demons :-)
  • gingersnapSnuggles
    Options
    I'm reading the same Outlander series.. halfway through Dragonfly in Amber..I love the story and characters... However, when I see the commercials for the upcoming tv show on Starz this fall based on that series in books, neither Clare nor Jamie shown in those commercials fit the Clare and Jamie in my head from reading the books.. I hate when that happens. :(
  • RebeccaP1972
    RebeccaP1972 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just started reading Lost by Gregory Maguire, I really like his books.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    Afterburn by Sylvia Day
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just finishing Foodist by Darya Rose for the third time! Great read about nutrition and creating healthy food habits! Going to start Influx by Daniel Suarez
    I'm kind of a nutrition nerd. I just finished this book. I'm recommending it to a few friends. She sets a nice tone, offers some good common sense advice for folks wanting to learn to build a healthier diet, and in essence, applies what Michael Pollan argues for in "In Defense of Food". Good book.
  • alicia0412
    alicia0412 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Methland: The Death and Life of an American Small Town by Nick Reding
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Just Kids - Patty Smith Autobiographical account of her friendship with Robert Mapplethorpe . Excellent so far
    also a 33 1/3 book about the making of Horses
    Both birthday gifts
    I've also got a biography of Mordecai Richler waiting for me to get at it

YEAH BUD.. LOVE THE GODDESS.. it's a great read isn't it? Have you seen the documentary Dream of Life? I got to see her live again last year at Memphis in the Mud. I don't know what a 33 1/3 book is.. of haven't heard of 'making of horses." Horses as in her LP?

as for my reading, I'm taking these on vacation: Anthony C Winkler's God Carlos and the Lunatic,Isabel Allende's Island Beneath the Sea... and maybe the Count of Monte Cristo. just variety to keep me going in airports...
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Just finishing Stephen King's Mr Mercedes then will be starting Peter James's Want You Dead (book 10 in the Roy Grace series)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Just finishing Stephen King's Mr Mercedes then will be starting Peter James's Want You Dead (book 10 in the Roy Grace series)
    How was Mr. Mercedes? King's Doctor Sleep was quite good.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options

I like all King's books they are so easy to pick up and get in to and this is no different, unlike his usual horror stuff this one will make you more frightened of the guy next door than any ghostly spirit. Doctor Sleep was enjoyable too I must say.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I like all King's books they are so easy to pick up and get in to and this is no different, unlike his usual horror stuff this one will make you more frightened of the guy next door than any ghostly spirit. Doctor Sleep was enjoyable too I must say.
    This sounds like a book I need to read! Thanks
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith…second in the series.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy, at the insistence of a friend, but I'm not totally feeling it? There's some pacing problems, some characterization problems. Yesterday I abandoned all sense and finally decided to read The Fault In Our Stars to know wtf everyone's going on about, and I finished it in about five hours, and it was.. okay. Not as good as it's touted, but not as bad as I was expecting.

Recently, I just finished the Rogues anthology from GRR Martin, and it's excellent. Some really, really good short fiction from some very talented authors.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    none. i got tired of reading and have traded it for full seasons watching of trashy old shows.

went thru pretty little liars, proceeded to exhaust all seasons of gossip girl, and am now plowing through drop dead diva.
  • slr90
    slr90 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    City of heavenly fire -cassandra clare <3
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm reading
    Gandhi & Churchill by Arthur Herman (It's super interesting, and is the "just for fun" read on this list).
    ...and a bunch of books for prep work for next term, including The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler, A Canticle for Leibowitz (Miller), 1984 (Orwell), Brave New World, A Short Introduction to Globalization, A Short Introduction to Religion in America, American History: A Survey, The Handmaid's Tale (Atwood), and World War Z (Brooks).

I haven't started prepping the World History class, yet. But the anti-utopia, dystopia & post-apocalyptic fiction class is shaping up nicely.