The No S diet

Options
Have you ever heard of it, the website says

"The No S Diet, also known as the "Grandma Diet," the "Why Didn't I Think of that Diet," and the "No $ Diet" is a program of systematic moderation I invented for myself that I imagine might work for similarly minded people.

No funny science or calorie accounting involved, just a few simple and mnemonic tricks for building sustainably "good enough" eating habits.

There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks
No Sweets
No Seconds"

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The problem with these kinds of diets is that they deprive you of the foods you love to eat and so no one is able to stick to them for long.

People might try them for a few weeks (if that), lose a few lbs, then quit because they can't do it anymore. Then they binge on snacks, sweets, and seconds until all the weight comes back.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Eh, I don't eat sweets, and I typically don't snack, and I NEVER have seconds and I got fat.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The problem with these kinds of diets is that they deprive you of the foods you love to eat and so no one is able to stick to them for long.

People might try them for a few weeks (if that), lose a few lbs, then quit because they can't do it anymore. Then they binge on snacks, sweets, and seconds until all the weight comes back.

Agreed. I'd much rather have seconds of a sweet snack a couple times a week.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    So I can eat 5,000 calories a day and still lose weight as long as it is savory foods, during a proper meal time and I have a really big plate. Sounds legit.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No snacks? Nope.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    While I applaud your enthusiasm, this diet is too arbitrary to do anyone any good.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yuo'd be amazed how much I can fit on my plate for Firsts, LOL
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    What about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I am assuming the meal items would be one serving size each, not just trying to pile as much crap on your plate as possible lol but agree i could not do this. I already feel enough deprivation just being on a diet let alone adding other restrictions .
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Yep. Been there. Not going there again.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Lol...thought it was interesting. But you guys all have good points.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I agree that this wouldn't work as is, but it is probably good advice to be aware of snacking, sweets, and seconds, and maybe that's what grandma meant. Just be thoughtful about those things.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    While I applaud your enthusiasm, this diet is too arbitrary to do anyone any good.

Yeah, this mostly.

I'd end up doing the same thing I do now anyway. My breakfast time would last from the time I wake up until noon. Lunch from 12:01 until dinner, then dinner + 1 minute until bedtime. I'd just make sure I was in calorie deficit.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Lol...thought it was interesting. But you guys all have good points.

Made for good discussion. :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope Nope Nope!! :happy:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I do all that and have had no issues….

Too many rules...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    here is a better one.

eat in a deficit
    work out/lift heavy
    hit macros
    eat whatever you want within moderation - I like the 80/20 rule…80% health and 20% whatever you want….
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of it, the website says

"The No S Diet, also known as the "Grandma Diet," the "Why Didn't I Think of that Diet," and the "No $ Diet" is a program of systematic moderation I invented for myself that I imagine might work for similarly minded people.

No funny science or calorie accounting involved, just a few simple and mnemonic tricks for building sustainably "good enough" eating habits.

There are just three rules and one exception:

No Snacks
    No Sweets
    No Seconds"

I think the "food environment" has changed since the days of our grand mothers and great grand mothers. Whereas they used to cook with lard, and not crisco. They used butter, not margarine. Coca cola servings were tiny in comparison to our "big gulp" sizes, and were occasional treats as opposed to every day or every meal. Egg omelettes used to contained the yolks, and not the bland, pale white egg omelettes of today. Homemade bread with a slather of butter and homemade preserves were eaten, instead of cosmetically engineered pop tarts. Pieces of chicken actually looked like pieces of chicken, while today you can nuke processed chicken pieces that are formed in the shape of rockets and dinosaurs. Fruit was consumed as it came off the tree it was picked from, and not a strip of colourful sweet leather devoid of the original fiber and nutrient content. Bacon came from pigs, and not turkeys. Meatballs were made from fatty ground meat, and not GMO soy tofu. And beef used to come from cows that ate lots of grass, and not pumped up with hormones and stuffed with GMO grain feed. Snout to tail eating was more common, as opposed to the nothing but chicken breast eating of today. And cheese was made from whole milk, as opposed to the rubbery disgusting fat free cheese of today.

I have made the choice to eat whole foods, limit the processed crap, not fear the fat content in foods, and limit the type of foods that increase my food cravings. As a result, I naturally eat less (no seconds), I don't need to snack, and I don't need the sweets, as I am satiated with the right foods.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I have tried it...and lasted about a week without snacks. Feeling deprived is a very slippery slope for me. So, nope. But if it works for you, then go for it. :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    What about second breakfast? What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I don't think so, Pip