need help from FORMER SMOKERS!

Options
So I am trying to quit smoking, I have cut down drastically from over a pack a day to about 6 or 7. I have tried numerous times, Ive done the patch, chantix, gum etc. I recently tried the ecig and that left me with the worst chest pains so I just went back to smoking. I want to quit, I hate smoking, I want to be able to work out HARD!
I go crazy when I dont smoke, everything makes me cry. Things get broken. I turn into such a B****, the people who are in my corner, who want me to quit, actually TELL me to go smoke.
Those who have actually quit, how did you do it!?!?

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Cold turkey.

I was a smoker for about 10 years or so. I was dating my now husband at the time and tried to hide it from him with no success. He told me he didn't date smokers. I tossed out my cigarettes and quit the next day.

However I think that I was ready to quit. If you're ready than it is that much easier.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey.

This.
    I smoked since the age of 13 to 30. I quit 8 years ago. The thing is that I set a date to have my last pack. After that day I was going to quit and I did. The first few days are hell, you'll need tremendous willpower and fortitude. I was not fun to be around and felt like my world was crashing down around me, then I nutted up and got over it.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Cold Turkey worked for me.

It seems every time I tried to do the cutback method, I always found a justification with having "just one more".

Was a smoker for about 6 or 7 years.

I also agree with just_Jennie, I had to be ready to quit before I did.
  • terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 20 years and I knew I wanted to make changes with my life and quitting smoking was the first.
    I quite cold turkey Aug 2010 and have never looked back.

For me I was never ready to quit just like I was never ready to lose weight.

Here I am 3.5 years later still smoke free and 70lbs lighter !
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Don't use people telling you go smoke as an excuse to start back up. Take responsibility for your behavior while quitting and don't use quitting as an excuse to be a *****.

Of course, if you really, really want to quit, you will.

*I smoked for over 20 years and have been quit for 7 years*
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. When I was ready.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I did it with an ecigg, eciggs can be a little stronger then real ciggs at first. If you ever go down that road again I can point you to the good ones.
  • AyeCorona
    AyeCorona Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I quit December 24th- I was really sick at the time so I didn't want one at all. Once I got to feeling better, the cravings were still strong (mentally) during things that I've always had a cigarette in hand during like coffee, driving, drinking, etc. I got some of those mini-lozenges- they taste disgusting so I think twice before I pop one in my mouth. The cravings are getting less and less each day.

Also, I really want to start a family so the desire to quit is strong.

Feel free to add me for support. Good luck!
  • wnt2bhlthy2
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day from age 13-28. I quit cold turkey. I had a good reason though. The day I found out I was pregnant, I quit just like that without another thought. My son is two and I'm still smoke free! You can do it!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    As with most of the other responders I did it cold turkey. Now towards the end I was only smoking about 5 cigarettes/day at the most so it wasn't as drastic of a stoppage. The cigarettes had started making me feel sick if I smoked too much the last few years I smoked. That being said I did feel some side effects when I stopped. You just have to sort of bare that for a while but your body will adjust. Just get rid of everything and tell your loved ones you are serious about stopping and you need thier support no matter how crazy you get. If it is really that horrible you may want to seek some professional help becuase there could be underlying mental health issues driving some of this.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I ended a 48 year habit on April 2012 and used a combination of the patch and Wellbutrin. (Zyban) It is an antidepressant that helps control cravings and anxiety. My behavior was much easier to control than when I tried cold turkey or with the patch alone.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I smoked at least a pack a day until I was 30. My grandma was on oxygen (from smoking) and went in to the hospital on July 2, 1998. When I got to the hospital, she was fighting for air. I threw my cigarettes in the trash there at the hospital. She passed the next day. I haven't smoked since. It was tough but I did it. This losing weight thing has been tougher though. It's still kicking my @$$.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    9 days smoke free today. I can't really give advice bc I'm not out of the woods just yet but I listened to what the above people are saying and its got me this far which is longer than I've ever been before. I've used all te replacement things as well without success.

As everyone suggested I had to go completely nic free and hit the withdrawal head on to make it this far. I have everyone around me a heads up that I was going to be a conplete **** for a few days (and I was). When cravings got really bad I would go to why quit.org and read some information material about how I was killing myself :( its worked so far though.

Like I said, I'm not out of the woods yet so probably not the best to take advice from but im somewherenin between i guess. The thought of smoking still crosses my mind a couple times a day now but after 3-4 days of cold turkey I no longer NEED to smoke or else I will punch somebody or something. Cold turkey is working. Getting nicotine completely out of my system sucked but it was the right choice for me. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you want someone who is a few weeks ahead of you to talk to.
  • DeputySox
    Options
    The night I quit I bought a fresh pack of Marlboro Lights. I smoked one after another until I thought I was going to puke. Threw the remaining pack and lighters away. Went cold turkey. I was ready to quit. I was an *kitten* for a couple weeks after but it all leveled out. That was 123109. Good luck! It's a wicked habit to break.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what kind of ecig were you using and what was the juice?

I quit smoking using the ecig. I was a 2-3 PAD smoker and took my last puff on September 25, 2012. I used a joytech ego twist with a Vivi Nova tank and never had any issues. I basically laid out a harm reduction plan for myself which included switching over the e-cig and slowly weening myself down on the nicotine with that. I was down to zero nicotine in about 6 months. Once I was down to zero nicotine it was all about the actual habit of sticking something in my mouth and puffing on it. I basically took another three months and was done with the e-cig altogether...so in nine months time I went from being a 2-3 PAD smoker to an e-cig vapor user to being totally normal and not needing any of it.

The most important thing here is to know thyself. Some people can do cold turkey and that's great...I couldn't and it was all about harm reduction first and then breaking the addiction and then breaking the habit. For me, it had to be a process...I tried a million different ways in the past and they didn't work...but I'm very proud to say now that I'm smoke free, nicotine free, and vapor free all with little under a year's time.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me.

You know the cigarette that just tastes "bad" and makes you feel icky? (It usually happens in the middle of the pack). The one where your lungs feel heavy, and dirty, and your stomach lurches? And you think to yourself "ew, this is gross". When you have THAT SMOKE, dunk the rest of the pack in water to completely destroy them, and then throw them away. Count this as day zero on your calendar.

When you get your next urge for a cigarette - break your usual habit pattern and do something completely new and different. Get out of your old routine into a new routine. Isolate yourself from other smokers / your smoking buddies for the first little while to reduce the temptation.

Every day that you're smoke-free, count off the day on your calendar. Expect to have a few relapses and don't beat yourself up when they happen. Just restart the next day as day zero again. You could also set yourself a reward for XX days without a cigarette. Eventually, your day count will get big enough that your desire to keep your streak going is worth more to you than having a cigarette.

This method will also translate well to starting on MFP and logging daily calories. I was up to 300 consecutive days until an international trip kept me offline. I feel a great sense of accomplishment when my week's overview of calorie consumption is all "green". And the positive reinforcement from the scale certainly doesn't hurt!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey for me. I was sick of how it made me feel (tired, yet wired, always coughing) and the week after I quit I got the most horrible bronchitis I had ever had in my life. I was sick for almost 2 months. Also, my son is a pretty severe asthmatic. He struggles to breathe during an attack and there I was destroying my own lungs for no good reason. (I never smoked in my house or around my kids) That was enough for me.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    The first time I quit was with an e-cIG, I would have been smoke free for 3 years this January but I got stressed and made a stupid mistake and started again. I am 3 days smoke free today using an e-cig is the only thing that gives me that oral fixation satisfaction.

Maybe you just need to try a different e-cig, do some research see which ones are safe and FDA approved. They work and I would recommend them to anyone trying to quit. Oh and the ones I use contain 0 nicotine.
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey. Granted, I just "quit" with the new year... 10 days down. :)

BUT, let that out... cry, scream, be a b*tch like I am... and then, it'll pass. It's just like going through withdrawals of a true addict... you need to let that stuff out and then it'll be just fine. If the people are telling you to go smoke bc they can't deal with you, then eff them! Seriously. You are trying, you are doing something good for your health, and they are not being supportive.