What do you doing during the winter?

Options
2»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hiya. The trainer at my old gym told me running on the treadmill at the flat setting (when you first turn it on) is equivalent to running downhill and so can damage your knees which may be why you had pain. To fix it he said to set incline to 0.5 or 1 per cent xx

I would love a scientific explanation for this. Seriously. I do not see how running on a flat surface would be equivalent to running downhill. Either there's an angle, or there isn't.

The only thing I can come up with is that the treadmills at that particular gym were installed incorrectly and were pointing downhill.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    snowboard :glasses:

it makes me love winter
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I will do more cross training like spin classes or Pilates on days when my running path is too slick (like this morning).

I hate the dreadmill and will go out when the roads have improved. Since I run in the morning, I will wear my headlamp to see if there is any ice. Also, I take it a bit slower sometimes to avoid wiping out. I do own a pair of YakTrax that I have yet to use. I have read a ton of good things and the next time things are really dicey, I will use them.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do in the summer, just with more clothes on.

Just think of the extra slick spots as an adventure.

Haha I love this answer!!!! Adventures away!!!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple weeks, but as the weather gets worse, so do the conditions of the blacktop trails I use. Ice is the major issue; even areas that have been plowed have snow that will melt off during the day and refreeze in a clear layer of ice over surfaces during the night.

Yaktrax.

http://www.yaktrax.ca/#!run/cokc
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple weeks, but as the weather gets worse, so do the conditions of the blacktop trails I use. Ice is the major issue; even areas that have been plowed have snow that will melt off during the day and refreeze in a clear layer of ice over surfaces during the night.

Yaktrax.

http://www.yaktrax.ca/#!run/cokc

This! Although I'm putting off that expense until these wear out (I'll be really excited - kind of a goal): http://www.32north.com/play/10-stabilicers-lite-i.html
    I wear them over hiking boots or running shoes, depending on weather. We've been down to -20, presently ice w/sand where roads used to be.

Time to go off-road, btw - Footing is MUCH better on the unpaved rec trails, and slogging through fresh powder or breaking trail in more packed snow just adds interest!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    You can also screw your shoes: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm
  • 2014NewBodyNewMe
    2014NewBodyNewMe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am doing JM dvd's right now till the snow is gone then I will be walking.
  • megsta91
    megsta91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    luckily for me, my hobby is a winter sport; hunting. it can get exhausting.

i usually dont venture out when it gets very cold, usually in the beginning of january (NE Ohio), so then i just frequent the gym. and if the roads are horrible, (again, NE Ohio), i run up and down my steps. up x5, down x5, rest and repeat!

i get cardio in one way or another :) good luck to you!
  • kdot1983
    Options
    I hate being cold.

The incline works for me, I run at an incline of 3 on the treadmill. My knees used to hurt when I ran on the treadmill, but they do not hurt when I run at an incline. I do slow my pace as well. I'm not an athlete and I don't run marathons, so slowing down and increasing incline instead doesn't bother me.

I also do the elliptical but when I do it, I feel like my body is yelling "no, you want to run! Go run". And then I run after the elliptical. lol