cardio or strength

Options
afbigg
afbigg Posts: 33 Member
Hello. As I am starting out a healthy lifestyle I joined a gym. Its a bit costly, but I think it's worth it. However, it is more than double the cost to have a personal trainer assist me at this gym, and although it may worth it in the long run, I cannot afford it at this time. My question is, if I am just starting out, should I focus more on cardio or strength training? My starting weight was 227 one month ago. I have lost about 6 lbs in the last 5 weeks, which I am happy about. I have read that bigger people, such as myself, lose weight a little faster at first because we have the extra weight to lose and our body burns the extra calories better than those who don't have the extra fat. I have seen many success stories where bigger women lost all their weight just by walking/jogging/running and doing nothing else. When I first started last month I was doing half cardio and half weight lifting and I got sick of the routine I had so I started doing just cardio (walking/jogging on treadmill) about 2 weeks ago, and it seems the weight comes off faster from the cardio. I don't want to lose weight and be flabby, so I know I have to do the strength training and toning at some point, but should I focus on weight loss/cardio first and then once I start losing the weight then start toning? My original thought was I should keep doing just cardio and then once I hit a platue then maybe add the weight lifting. Any advice? Thanks in advance, MFP and the community posts are what keeps me motivated!

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Cardio AND strength training is the way to go
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    both so you don't loss lean body mass while losing fat
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Both.

21525558.png
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If your gym offers free classes or whatever its called with a trainer take them. This way you can learn and then go on from there by your self. Or you can watch tutorial videos online especially you tube and learn from them
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    In before the lifters,
    I have lost over 100lbs in just over 1 year, and I haven't lifted a thing, however I do run 3/4 times a week. My doc tells me I have added 20 years to my life just by doing this.
    However the lifters will be along in a minute telling you, you must lift heavy!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    In before the lifters,
    I have lost over 100lbs in just over 1 year, and I haven't lifted a thing, however I do run 3/4 times a week. My doc tells me I have added 20 years to my life just by doing this.
    However the lifters will be along in a minute telling you, you must lift heavy!!!

Caloric deficit helped you lose 100lbs.

Cardio for cardiovascular health and so you can eat more.

Lifting to increase strength and maintain muscle mass.

When you're in a deficit you lose fat, water, and LBM. When you lift in that deficit, you're maintaining muscle mass as best your body can.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Do Both........ :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why does it have to be or? you can do both
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You can and should lift without a trainer. Use those weights...you are paying for them!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one here seems interested in the OP's goals. That, uh... matters.

OP, what are your actual goals?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    In my experience, to LOSE weight, eat less cals and add cardio. To get stronger, "toned," do strength-training. You really SHOULD do both cardio and strength-training for the best results, but cardio and joining a gym are a good starting point.

Your gym might have free sessions where the staff members take you around and show you the basic machines. Do this if it is offered. If your gym offers free classes (particularly ones that include weights), take a couple of those.

I know a personal trainer is expensive, but they might have options that are cheaper. My husband just met with a personal trainer 3 times for about $100. He gained A LOT of knowledge and confidence.

I spent a year and a half just doing cardio at m gym. I actually WATCHED a lot of other women, and I watched what exercises they were doing and what machines they were using. In fact, there is one woman (about my size, my build, my age), she was doing strength-training well before I started. I used her as a guide to figure out where to start with strength-training. Honestly if you want to use a machine and you see someone using it, just ask the person how it works. I've had a couple of people ask me how to use things, and it's no big deal.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

You'd think...

Welcome to MFP.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You'd think...

Welcome to MFP.

I guess I took the line
    I don't want to lose weight and be flabby,

and stating they know they need to strength train to mean I don't want to be skinny fat and that the OP wants to make sure they have muscle definition.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mltpyzl3Br1qz4rgp.gif
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Get in there and try a bit of everything. Find the things you like but show results. You need to do both. Great luck to you! Be patient too the results will come if you commit to this.
  • yepimonfire
    Options
    Strength training and then cardio if you want. Screw a PT, google stronglifts.
  • Fredducharme
    Fredducharme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cardio and strength, remember to focus on nutrition (keep your protein up) and drink lots of water. This will make sure flab stays away
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My vote is for whatever makes you happy. I would worry less about what is the ideal exercise and more about what it is that you enjoy and will stick with.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    definatly both
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    All that. Just keep moving!