cardio or strength

Options
2»

Replies

• Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I am doing both. I break my exercises down into shorter sessions. Every once and a while I'll just keep going to see my limits (in cardio mode), but I do both. I alternate arms and legs with core. I use resistance bands some days and weights (currently at 8 lbs) others. The lean muscle mass also helps you to burn more calories as your body works to keep everything going. It's about balance and finding what you like. You can try Yoga for some strength building as well.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    No one here seems interested in the OP's goals. That, uh... matters.

OP, what are your actual goals?

Unless I misread the OP's post, the goal is to lose weight and not look "flabby".
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Both for sure. I'm a bigger dude, I split my time about 60-40 Strength and Cardio. There is no way I wouldn't do strength training, in fact, if I could only do one or the other I'd do strength training, but both is the way to go when trying to lose weight.

Rigger
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one here seems interested in the OP's goals. That, uh... matters.

OP, what are your actual goals?

Unless I misread the OP's post, the goal is to lose weight and not look "flabby".

I didn't quite read that as a statement of her overall long-term goals.

But if it is, and all that matters is losing weight without looking flabby, then strength training is all she should be doing. Cardio is completely unnecessary.
  • rdspooner
    Options
    Coupling strength training and cardio together would be most ideal. But strength training burns more fat that cardio does. Strength training causes your body to burn calories long after your workout and to produce more hgh and testosterone which also burn more fat. When you stop performing cardio, your body stops burning calories.
  • mikeruz
    mikeruz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    In before the lifters,
    I have lost over 100lbs in just over 1 year, and I haven't lifted a thing, however I do run 3/4 times a week. My doc tells me I have added 20 years to my life just by doing this.
    However the lifters will be along in a minute telling you, you must lift heavy!!!

I have lost 90 pounds in 5 months and will tell you that weights and cardio worked for me. I am not an expert but getting a good balance between the two will really help!
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I am doing something called Crossfit. It's a lot of fun, and it incorporates both cardio and weight lifting. If you don't know much about it, do a search on Google. There will be tons of hits on it. I go to a dedicated Crossfit center, and they are pricey (more-so than just a regular gym membership) but I've just finished my second week and I am totally hooked! My goal is to lose about 30-40 lbs, and I think it is definitely achievable with this type of training and staying committed. Good luck to you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    A well rounded fitness plan is going to have elements of both. Your specific fitness goals will determine the volume of each. For general fitness, you should be pretty balanced. I do 3x weekly full body weight lifting and 3-4 days on my bike for 45 - 60 minutes and take one or two rest days per week. On rest days I'm just generally active...out for a walk with the family, yoga, etc.
  • lalala541
    Options
    I will keep this brief (it may not answer your question, but I hope it helps nevertheless).

Strength-training makes me bulky, especially my legs (yes, I am a woman).
    Cardio makes me thin (long-distance running is all I do, and my leg muscles are solid but lean at the same time).
    I prefer the latter...

Since you are quite overweight you probably need to find something that is not bad for your joints.
  • PhreePanda
    PhreePanda Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think strength is the way to go. Muscle burns fat, so your even burning fat long after. Cardio has it's place, of course...
    I've done hours upon hours of cardio with no size reduction. Even after losing some weight. I began lifting in December and BAM! I'm fitting my clothes better and better. So no additional bulk. I literally feel my body changing now every waking moment. Posture, shoulders, my butt etc.. :-) Might I add, I've cut my daily cardio to only 30 minutes vs 60 minutes and lift heavy stuff instead.

Ultimately it all depends on your personal goals and your body type. Try it for a month, if you decide it's not for you then try something else :-)
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    5x5 ice cream fitness novice lifting program is your answer
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    My vote is for whatever makes you happy. I would worry less about what is the ideal exercise and more about what it is that you enjoy and will stick with.

This is so right. If you have not been exercising at all, I recommend starting easy, to not overdo it, and hate it or injure yourself. Establish the habit of exercise before you worry about doing it perfectly. Doing what you like will help you establish the habit.
    If you don't do something you like, you will stop, eventually, and all your gains will [probably] be for naught.
    Moreover, I think all those claims that "if you just do cardio you will lose all your lean muscle" are vastly overblown and exaggerated. You are not going to lose all your muscle if you are using your muscle to run.
    Signed,
    Someone who runs and lifts.
  • afbigg
    afbigg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What is OP? I'm assuming you are asking me lol. My end goal is just to lose weight and be/feel healthier. I have small goals that really are just based on pounds lost, 5lbs by this date, another 10 by this date and so on. Like I said, I don't want the flab that comes from losing weight and not doing any toning, but I am unsure of when or how much to do. I am 27 with 2 children and wanting more, so I just want to be healthier, be around for my children and be able to play with them without getting tired or short of breath.
  • afbigg
    afbigg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! I cannot believe how many people post advice and words of wisdom. I really appreciate it and it keeps me motivated. I have decided I will add back the strength training and give it more time so I can see the results while doing both. I began by doing both in the same day; cardio and weights arms and legs. I think I will just try to switch it up and split arms and legs up by days instead of all in the same workout. Thanks again for everyone's input! I am also going to check out that 5x5 ice cream fitness lifting program. Hopefully in the next few months I will be able to post some progress pics! I love MFP!!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Strength AND Cardio. My starting weight when I joined the gym was 244 lbs(I lost 8lbs on my own before signing up). I did Cardio for 1 hour 4-5 times a week, and Strength Training 2-3 times a week for 1 hour(with a 10 minute cardio warm up) Doing that, plus Portion Control and Moderation, I lost 100 lbs in just shy of a year. Strength training was such an important part of my weight loss. It kept my body balanced, it eliminated any loose skin issues I would have had and I gained strength and muscle.

Incorporate both into your workout routine! Try to change your routine every 4-5 workout to prevent your body from falling into a routine. If it falls into a routine, than your workouts get easier, and your body no longer has to work as hard. Keep it fresh and your body will always be blasting away those calories!

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • Jinnie69
    Options
    BOTH, if cost is a factor and your are not ready to pay for a personal trainer. Try a few 30 day challenges and start with squats, then maybe pushups, and then abs, i do these sometimes with coworkers. This way you can save up, and build some strength before starting with a trainer. Then when you hit a road block in your weight loss, you can engage a trainer at that time.

Good luck to you! :happy:
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    First, let me recommend reading a great post by SideSteel, http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants.

I second the recommendation of a lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5, or Starting Strength, or NROLFW (New Rules of Lifting for Women). Lift weights 3x per week working your way up to heavier weights over time while focusing on good form. Lifting heave is the best way to maintain Lean Body Mass and maximize fat burning while eating at a moderate (not extreme) caloric deficit.

If your schedule allows (I'm sure the two little ones keep you plenty busy), supplement with cardio to boost your fitness. 20 minutes or so after you're done lifting should do nicely. You don't need to spend hours upon hours everyday in the gym to achieve your goals. Keep in mind that your muscles need rest to go along with your workouts, so don't overdo the cardio and deny the muscles suitable recovery time.

My personal experience with this over the last three months has led to 16 pounds lost of which 15 pounds was body fat and 1.1 pounds was Lean Body Mass. I had a DXA (body composition) scan before and a follow up just a few weeks ago to determine those numbers.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    OP - original poster, or similar.. so yes, you :).

It does sound like a mix of cardio and strength would be best for you.

How much time do you have/plan to use at the gym?

With kids, I'd certainly consider getting my cardio involving them to some degree - for instance running with them in a buggy, cycling (either them on the bike or one of those tag along things etc) and so on.

Strength training helps various 'every day' life things and also burns a good number of calories for a couple of days after - for me it's the most effective way to burn calories in calorie burn per effort and time.

It also helps stops your body burning muscle, as mentioned.

Keep your protein levels up regardless.of what you do if eating at a deficit.

Finally, dependant on the time you have available, you also need to consider that your body does need time to recover too - the more intense the workouts you are doing, the more time to recover.
    If you push too much, while you'll still be burning calories, you may end up not improving fitness particularly.

What you may want t
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like cardio will help you toward your goals much. Find something moderately active you enjoy and do it once or twice a week. Focus on strength training.