I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• MSClark11
    MSClark11 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love this post! All of my workouts now involve free weights and I'm almost always the only girl there. I get stares and sometimes I feel like I'm being judged, but I just focus on my workout and move on. :-)
  • berlinberlinveg
    berlinberlinveg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of recommendations for the "New Rules of Lifting for Women", I've looked in the preview and I don't know how much of it is useful to me. It looked like a nice read and I might check if the library has it, but it doesn't look like the book I'm looking for for my bookshelf and gym bag.

I'm looking for a get straight to business book with detailed illustrations and explanations of exercises (not 30 pages trying to convince me to do strenght training, I'm not afraid of bulking up, lol, And not nutritional advice either, just exercises and how they're done, since that's what I need, a very basic book).
    I saw this one "Anatomy for Strength and Fitness Training for Women: An Illustrated Guide to Your Muscles in Action"
    and it looks like it's more what I'm looking for, does anybody have it?

Or have any other recommendations? :)
    A book with a simple program in it would also be nice, but not necessary.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The only thing I felt bit nervous about when I first began lifting with all of the guys was the fact that I could only bench press the bar, lol. Other than that, I really enjoy it. The guys at my gym are extremely helpful and motivating.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • Flamencoflynnie
    Flamencoflynnie Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My husbands gym is very well equipped and has a Barbell Club in a separate power lifting room. They are offering a free Ladies Lifting Clinic in a few weeks.

This is what they are offering.

'Dispelling the 'Big Myth' that weights make women bulky. Perfecting the Squat, Deadlift and Bench Press. Learning safe technique.

Benefits of Lifting: Increases your Base Metabolic Rate; Burn more calories at rest. Helps you create your desired body shape. Promotes toned, defined muscles. Increased Strength'

I'm signed up :smile:
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    OP you nailed it! Thanks for a great post! :flowerforyou:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Such a great post, thank you!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    This post inspired me. Thank you!
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I too am the only woman in the free weights section at my gym. Great post! One a lot more women need to see!
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It was never a feeling of fear but a feeling of being out of place and someplace I wasn't wanted. I didn't let it bother me so much when I was 140 or 170 lbs. But once I was over 200 lbs I found the feeling even more pervasive. It didn't help that I had a pinched nerve and Plantar Fasciitis so I couldn't do a lot of things very well. And yes, when I used to use the free weight section overweight but not obese, I got a lot of comments on how my form was better than most peoples. Now days, I find more and more people leaving the huge weights on things I want to use and I can't remove them. It felt like a subtle way to say, we don't want you here, go away. It was as if all the really fit people who live in the freeweight section will only accept overweight or out of shape people up to a certain level. I ended up gravitating to the pool. Once I lose more weight and can move around better, I will go back.
  • ShoeGal78
    ShoeGal78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am also the only woman in the free weights area of my gym. I started by only going in there to pick up heavier dumbells but now I use the squat rack and the bench.. I do find it intimidating and frustrating at times.

I am also the only person who does lower body exercises and get so annoyed when a guy uses the only squat rack for a good 40 mins to do bicep curls, bent over rows and shrugs...!!

Anyway, nice to see I'm not alone!!
  • whizzlers
    whizzlers Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • truelove7
    truelove7 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nailed it! I love being one of the only women in the free weights section of my gym. At first I was mortified and intimidated...but once I got a plan and walked in there full of confidence, I never looked back! Sure, I get looks of all kinds from men around me but, then again, I give lots of looks too! I've had so many guys actually tell me how cool it is to see a woman lifting heavy stuff. Great post, thank you!
  • jayana23
    Options
    This is true...love ur post!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am also the only woman in the free weights area of my gym. I started by only going in there to pick up heavier dumbells but now I use the squat rack and the bench.. I do find it intimidating and frustrating at times.

I am also the only person who does lower body exercises and get so annoyed when a guy uses the only squat rack for a good 40 mins to do bicep curls, bent over rows and shrugs...!!

Anyway, nice to see I'm not alone!!

^^ Same here. Probably same all over the world, lol. Guys work almost exclusively on the upper body and biceps. None of them does squats or barbell rows, deadlifts very rarely, they never use kettlebells either. Good new is that I have the squat rack all for myself.:blushing: If you see someone (over)using equipment you need just politely ask how long till the end of his set or workout. If they are normal they will understand. If not they may go and #$%& themselves.

If there are really too many visitors at the gym I grab nearest kettlebell and do swings. This is a total body workout and my time is not wasted.
  • Cburton1123
    Cburton1123 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love this post! I was completely intimidated at first, but I'm long over it. I'm at home in free weights. You can't get the results you want from just the cardio side, ladies. Go lift!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It was never a feeling of fear but a feeling of being out of place and someplace I wasn't wanted. I didn't let it bother me so much when I was 140 or 170 lbs. But once I was over 200 lbs I found the feeling even more pervasive. It didn't help that I had a pinched nerve and Plantar Fasciitis so I couldn't do a lot of things very well. And yes, when I used to use the free weight section overweight but not obese, I got a lot of comments on how my form was better than most peoples. Now days, I find more and more people leaving the huge weights on things I want to use and I can't remove them. It felt like a subtle way to say, we don't want you here, go away. It was as if all the really fit people who live in the freeweight section will only accept overweight or out of shape people up to a certain level. I ended up gravitating to the pool. Once I lose more weight and can move around better, I will go back.

I'm very sorry you had this experience. It sounds like the people at your gym are quite rude. This is certainly not the norm for all gyms, and it might be worthwhile to gym-shop for a better place. I have a feeling that the people leaving weights racked was not intended as a personal diss towards you or any other overweight people, but rather just a rude and sloppy habit- but nonetheless it wasn't what you were looking for.

At my gym, when I see a person who is a beginner or not-yet-fit person, I always give them a mental high-five for their efforts and hope they catch vibes of encouragement. I don't actually say or do anything because I don't want to make them feel singled out, but it's there.

I think if you keep an open mind you might find a gym with a better, more welcoming environment (or at least not-discouraging environment).
  • Jarakana
    Options
    Very well said! I am fairly the only woman in that section with many men. I was very intimidated at first and felt awkward, but soon got over it. Now I walk over there with confidence and a bit of a swagger lol. My biceps are what men are gawking at and I am very proud of them ;-)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    How do all of you handle being spotted?

I was bench pressing just the olympic bar, did 5 reps, and on the 3rd set, couldn't lift the 3rd rep (yes, I am a wimp), had to wiggle out under it. I don't go with anybody and everybody was busy doing their own workout plus I didn't know anybody.

I am sure I could have just rested the thing on my chest until my muscles recovered but I didn't.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How do all of you handle being spotted?

I was bench pressing just the olympic bar, did 5 reps, and on the 3rd set, couldn't lift the 3rd rep (yes, I am a wimp), had to wiggle out under it. I don't go with anybody and everybody was busy doing their own workout plus I didn't know anybody.

I am sure I could have just rested the thing on my chest until my muscles recovered but I didn't.

Usually you can just ask anybody nearby in between sets to spot you for a quick set. I've never had anyone refuse or even act annoyed about it. Just glance around and see who's playing with their phones or just looking around between sets.

It's not wimpy to fail on a bench set. It happens sooner or later to everybody. Knowing how to roll out under the bar is actually a good skill to have in your toolbelt, and it's better to learn without another 80 lbs on the bar!

Alternately you can either:
    1) Not do the last rep where you think you might fail.
    2) Bench in a power rack so you can set the safety bars so you don't get pinned
    3) Leave the weight on the bar unclipped so you can dump it off in an emergency (though this is better in your home gym as most commercial gyms don't like flying plates)

The best option is to just grab someone to help out.

*sidenote- some spotters get all handsy with the bar and help you through several reps when you don't need it. Usually when I get a random spotter I'll just say something like "I'll let you know when I need help" and then most of the time they keep their hands off. Sometimes they still do it. You get what you pay for.