WOMEN who menstruate. MEN keep out.

Options
OK. I have been working out everyday for a little over a month. I generally workout pretty hard. I go to the gym, do P90X and some other strength training at home. Well I'm 10 days late on my period and I know I'm not pregnant (safe sex and about 15 negative pregnancy tests). My periods are usually 27 days EVERY month. Has anyone ever worked out so much that they stopped getting their period. I know I should see my dr but I'm broke. Any input is welcome. And to the MEN who didn't keep out, I warned you!

Replies

• elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Yes, activity, and stress and diet changes can cause changes in your cycle.
    Do they not teach sexual health anymore?
  • elly620
    Options
    I've been out of school for a while. No need to be rude when someone is asking a legitimate question.
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've never had it happen to me, but I've heard that it can happen, especially if you're working out harder than usual. Professional athletes can go months without having one. If you keep skipping your period, I would go to the doctor, even if you have to make payments to them. Your health is number one.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Some men know about menstruation too.
  • s_moore25
    s_moore25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It can change your cycle. Typically, if I've worked out harder than usual, I GET mine. Are you eating enough? Because a lack of nutrients will stop your period altogether. I'd say give it a month or 2 to get used to your new lifestyle. :) And I'm a nursing student, so I do know a little bit about medical stuff...not as much as a Dr though :p
  • emilybell66
    emilybell66 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes I am the opposite. When I eat right and exercise my periods are like clock work. When I am eating crazy (binging) etc., my periods are all over the place. Your body is in shock mode. Don't worry it will come back soon enough and be regular again. Hope this helps
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I have skipped three periods in a row before. It got to where i was going to the gyno every week for tests because I didn't trust my own any more. Sometimes it just happens. The OB-GYN had no idea why. I checked out healthy; I was exercising and eating right; it was probably stress from being in my first year of college.

So yeah. It's weird if you're regular and suddenly you get a ten-day hitch in your getalong, but if your doc checks you out and there's nothing physically wrong, here is how to fix it: book a three-hour plane flight and board the plane wearing white pants.
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Stressing can make you miss. Unless you are either super low weight, or super under your cals and overburning I wouldn't think it was just the exercise.

Do you take vitamins and eat well balanced meals? Sometimes a lack of a specific nutrient can also make you miss.

And sometimes you just might miss a period. It can happen.

Until you get to see a doctor, I'd take a women's multi, slow on the exercise, up the cals to maintenance and try to lower your stress. See if any of those help.
  • elly620
    Options
    Thank u guys.
    I've worked out hard in the past and its never affected me before. I think I eat ok and I take a bunch of different vitamins everyday.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    It can change your cycle. Typically, if I've worked out harder than usual, I GET mine. Are you eating enough? Because a lack of nutrients will stop your period altogether. I'd say give it a month or 2 to get used to your new lifestyle. :) And I'm a nursing student, so I do know a little bit about medical stuff...not as much as a Dr though :p

THIS (for me too).
  • stormbornkraken
    stormbornkraken Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Some men know about menstruation too.

^Very true. Those with sisters, so I have heard.

Yes, it can be caused from changes in lifestyle. Probably no big deal but should maybe call the OB just in case. Pee sticks aren't infallible.

We are simply complex chemistry sets prone to fluctuation and change.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It can change your cycle. Typically, if I've worked out harder than usual, I GET mine.

This :sick:

I've heard of that happening. I'd suggest giving it a little longer, another week or two, then just call the dr's office and ask to have the doc give you a call.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have had this happen when I was working out daily and doing IF 5:2. I was a few days later than typical, but it eventually came...and went...and then came again. Boo.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yes, activity, and stress and diet changes can cause changes in your cycle.
    Do they not teach sexual health anymore?
    I've been out of school for a while. No need to be rude when someone is asking a legitimate question.

I wouldn't take it as a rude response, though the wording is a bit rough. HOWEVER, sexual health isn't taught in a way that focuses on how the body can change. At least, not around here. It's all "Don't have sex or you'll get a disease" BS. If it weren't for our PE lessons on eating disorders (that one time, that one year, and never again), I'd have no idea that periods can be delayed by exercise, stress, etc.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I've only heard of a period being late or disappearing in conjunction with exercise in professional athletes, but that generally has more to do with their weight or body fat percentage than exercise to my knowledge. There are lots of reasons this could be happening: not eating enough calories, weight loss causing changes in the hormones, wacky birth control pills, and yes, pregnancy. Those OTC tests are not always right, sadly. I would see a doctor, 10 days a long time to be late. A blood test would give definitive results on pregnancy and be able to tell you if your hormones have gone wonky.
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Well, then, if you've worked out hard before and haven't had this particular problem, and you're in good health, I'd chalk it up to the beautiful mystery of being a woman. :-P

Seriously, though, are there any free or low-cost clinics where you are? Because it would really, really suck to have something wrong and not discover it for months and months. (I know I'm not telling you amazing news here. Just wondering what your options are.)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have had late periods due to an increase in exercise.

When I got close to 30, I this started happening a couple times a year, I found that one of my ovaries was not dropping an egg and I would eventually have what is called a non ovulatory period, and when it came I thought I was going to die they were so bad. If you do not have it for 2 months I would make a dr appointment.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating much protein. I know you said you take vitamins, but your iron could still be very low since not all vitamins contain iron. Other things that change your cycle:

Stress
    Working out
    Syncing with other women's cycles
    Under eating for your activity level
    Low body fat
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Significant changes to workout out and eating can trigger changes to your period, it should be back to normal within a couple months I'd assume.

I know it's really strange to be so late when you're usually regular, but I wouldn't worry too much over 10 days (I've been over a week late so many times before). Stressing can even delay it further. If it doesn't arrive soon though I would try and get to a doctor when you can, just to rule out any other possibilities.