WOMEN who menstruate. MEN keep out.

Options

Replies

• elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I started college on Monday but my period was already late. So I don't think that's it. The holidays were horrible, so maybe that is it.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Also worrying about why you haven't started your period yet can make it even later. :-)
  • elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've heard that yes exercise can stop your period. I've never had it happen...still to lean on the side of caution I'd stay away from alcohol..not to freak you out but pregnancy test sometimes do that...with my last child it didn't show I was pregnant till I was like 2 months in.

2 MONTHS in!!! Really??? That is scary!
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So many things can affect your cycle... mine changed recently, out of nowhere. It has come like clockwork every 28 days for YEARS, then randomly a couple months ago, I got one period, and got another one 10 days later, and now I'm on a new cycle I guess... they are back to 28 days apart, but off track from when they originally came.

If it stays irregular, I would consult a doctor, but if it normals out and you aren't having other problems, you're probably alright.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    never happened to me. even when i was an athlete and working out 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week i've always been regular like clockwork.

the people i know who it happened to either had underlying hormonal issues, weren't eating enough, were very low body fat, or were preggers and didnt know
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Back in Nov mine came like 4 days late and no Im not sexually active so I knew I wasnt pregnant but it just happen to do so and I was thinking maybe it had to do with working out but its not like I work out daily for long hours on end
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's happened to me.

I started a very strenuous workout about a year or two years ago and did not get my period for two months after commencing the workout. The third month I had light spotting then it went back to normal.

Hope you're not pregnant unless you want to be :)
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    You do realize that when you have kids it changes...Did it ever change in the past besides for being pregnant both times? Mine is also weird itll change with the seasons, every 3 months I get it a week early
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I never missed my period. Except for three times:

Sam (16), Olivia (11) and Will (9).
  • kamalelwa
    kamalelwa Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes-when u work out very hard and often it is very normal to have nothing left for a period!! I was in competitive track and field for many years growing up and I was not bothered with a period while I was in competitive 6 day a week training . Trust me--when u slack off it will be back!!! Enjoy its absence!!!!hahaahahah
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I missed my period for around 4 months when I was going through a particularly stressful time and exercising a lot. It does happen. You should be aware however that I also had a friend that took at least 10 pregnancy tests that came out negative and was 9 weeks along when the doctor finally confirmed she was pregnant. So either way if it goes on you should see a doctor.
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes it's very very very possible to miss periods when very active. Which is why most gymnasts don't menstruate. I would still contact your doctor just to be safe.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I was regular like clockwork -- usually the beginning of the month every month - until about October of last year after about 130-140 lbs lost -- I was late in the month in October, skipped November, late in the month in December and then early in January -- I hope it all evens out. The January one gives me hope as that was on its regular schedule back to the beginning of the month.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    WOMEN who menstruate. MEN keep out.

tumblr_miewc2BQMv1s5tiddo1_400.gif

:tongue:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    exercise can do that. i was a cross country runner in highschool and college and my periods were always so bizarre. have been on bc now 3 years and i get it like clockwork (although it isn't a real period but still).
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I actually had the exact opposite happen. I've been on Birth Control where I take 3 packs of active pills and then have my period. Which--was SUPER awesome only having a period every 10weeks. Well since December I have been consistently working out at least 5 days a week walking/running 4-5 miles at a time. My body has decided it wants a menstrual cycle once a month--even if I take active pills. The only reason I was on BC is because my periods were always irregular. I would go from not having them to having it for a month straight. So, this is the 2nd month my body has wanted a cycle naturally. I listened to it and decided to ditch my bc and see what happens. I have my annual appointment next month.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Yes, I had amenorrhea for ~4+ years. It should be taken seriously.
  • turtleball
    turtleball Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    anything you started taking (including herbs)?

otherwise idk
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    diet, exercise and weight loss will screw up your cycle. happens to me quite a lot. still does.
  • eiravanora
    eiravanora Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also worrying about why you haven't started your period yet can make it even later. :-)

I agree with this.

My period is late all the time, depending on what kind of situation and stress-level that im at prior to the supposedly-scheduled-period.

Take some time to reflect the things that you have gone through lately, identify which stress-level you are at. Observe your diet of late, have you been drinking enough water, eating enough fruits and veggies, sugar/sodium levels, etc. Is there any particular female/females that you've been hanging a lot with lately (ladies tend to sync their period when they spend a lot of time together).

Even though changes in activities may cause the delay, im sure you wouldn't want to give up on your workouts. take a look at these areas instead. if its because of stress, then deal with that. take sometime for yourself.