The thread killer, or ignored question...

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Has anyone else noticed that every time you ask 'do you weigh all your food?', you suddenly turn into a ghost that nobody seems to notice?

Replies

• Blamber21
    Blamber21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Ha. Nope didn't notice. I don't respond to that because I don't have a scale.. sends me into deep thoughts of purchasing one lmbo!
  • iammelli
    iammelli Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thats weird... i weigh everyhing i eat
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Ha. Nope didn't notice. I don't respond to that because I don't have a scale.. sends me into deep thoughts of purchasing one lmbo!

You should.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Nope. Didn't see the thread, but when someone posts re: stalling or regaining, one of the most common and first-asked questions is "are you weighing your food to ensure accurate measurement?"

So, observationally, yes. Most MFP folks are weighing their food.
  • LaurieMellor123
    LaurieMellor123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Think weighing and eyeballing is a good way to be accountable for portion control.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Nope. Didn't see the thread, but when someone posts re: stalling or regaining, one of the most common and first-asked questions is "are you weighing your food to ensure accurate measurement?"

Not even close. The people giving out that advice are a vocal minority.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't have a food scale.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Think weighing and eyeballing is a good way to be accountable for portion control.

Eyeballing is what gets most people in trouble.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Not even close. The people giving out that advice are a vocal minority.

QFT
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    <<<<> even weighs prepackaged food.
  • madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Guess ghosts don't weigh much, do they...?
  • WendyGr8
    WendyGr8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weighed or measured everything for quite a while, got to the point that measuring cups were doubling for serving utensils at the dinner table for everyone :)
    I have gotten really good at estimating, but I am measuring everything with my DH as he embarks on his new years resolution. He is finding that if we measure out one serving size and before deciding that doesnt look like enough for a meal, he actually eats the meal (no wolfing down) - it's usually plenty & he's pleased that he doesnt feel stuffed & hasnt wasted twice the calories in exchange for that uncomfartable feeling.
    I think many of us come to this with such distorted perceptions of what a serving size should be (thanks fastfood joints) that at least initially measuring is crucial to educating ourselves how to eat healthy.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    two years ago I lost 20 pounds with no food scale. eyeballing and measuring worked just fine for me.
  • Pamstimelines
    Pamstimelines Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice but there does seem to be strong opinions that you should weigh all your food. I don't have a scale but I use the hand graph and measuring cups. I want to loose and be healthy without getting too fanatical about it. So I won't weigh until I get to the point of no other option. That's just me.
  • ccmzone2013
    ccmzone2013 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Never weighed food once ....Lost 185 pounds!
  • BaileyP3
    BaileyP3 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Never weighed food once ....Lost 185 pounds!

Me too...no wait...I asked the 185 lbs to move out...:laugh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every time you ask 'do you weigh all your food?', you suddenly turn into a ghost that nobody seems to notice?
    It seems to me that sometimes the OP's are all over it, but most times the idea is shunned. No one wants to be told they are gaining weight because they are probably eating too much from overestimating their intake. But like they old saying, if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras. :smile:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I disagree. Most newbie MFPers don't.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a food scale...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

Yep. Because it couldn't possibly be that you're eating more than you think.

It's GOT to be your thyroid, carbs, or evil gluten for everyone.