The thread killer, or ignored question...

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every time you ask 'do you weigh all your food?', you suddenly turn into a ghost that nobody seems to notice?

I'd make the observation that it's one of those questions that's generally asked with no consideration of the situation of the questioner, or their goals. Similar responses are "LIFT HEAVY!!!" and "do insanity (or similar DVD programme)..."

I've yet to see anyone ask "is it practical for you to weigh/ measure".

What I've also noted is that people become very judgemental about it, again regardless of the situation of someone who's not weighing/ measuring everything.

When this happened to me several months ago I posted a bit of a rant about a number of clear indicators that my fitness was improving, but weight wasn't going down. Then least helpful response was just that question. What the thread prompted was some thought about what I was wanting to achieve and I realised that actually weight per se was the least important aspect. Outcomes for me have been:

I've retired two suits that are now far too big for me in the waist.
    Furthest I've run in a single session is 14Km
    I can run 10Km in just over an hour
    I did a PB for the 5K of 28 minutes this week
    My resting heart rate has reduced by 20bpm
    My blood pressure has reduced

The reason it gets asked is because weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. You always eliminate the most obvious causes first when making a diagnosis, especially when the question is "why am I not losing weight." I think people are willing to delve deeper into figuring out what the problem is, but the poster has to give them something to work with. Too many people come on here asking questions about how to make something work, and then just shoot down response after response instead of just giving information up front that would point people in a different direction.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The reason it gets asked is because weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.

No disagreement with why it's asked, but as with the two other examples I cited it's a question of how the question is asked. It's frequently a very stark question with no suggestion of empathy, or understanding.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every time you ask 'do you weigh all your food?', you suddenly turn into a ghost that nobody seems to notice?

I'd make the observation that it's one of those questions that's generally asked with no consideration of the situation of the questioner, or their goals. Similar responses are "LIFT HEAVY!!!" and "do insanity (or similar DVD programme)..."

I've yet to see anyone ask "is it practical for you to weigh/ measure".

What I've also noted is that people become very judgemental about it, again regardless of the situation of someone who's not weighing/ measuring everything.

When this happened to me several months ago I posted a bit of a rant about a number of clear indicators that my fitness was improving, but weight wasn't going down. Then least helpful response was just that question. What the thread prompted was some thought about what I was wanting to achieve and I realised that actually weight per se was the least important aspect. Outcomes for me have been:

I've retired two suits that are now far too big for me in the waist.
    Furthest I've run in a single session is 14Km
    I can run 10Km in just over an hour
    I did a PB for the 5K of 28 minutes this week
    My resting heart rate has reduced by 20bpm
    My blood pressure has reduced

The reason it gets asked is because weight loss is calories in vs. calories out. You always eliminate the most obvious causes first when making a diagnosis, especially when the question is "why am I not losing weight." I think people are willing to delve deeper into figuring out what the problem is, but the poster has to give them something to work with. Too many people come on here asking questions about how to make something work, and then just shoot down response after response instead of just giving information up front that would point people in a different direction.

And also, if people actually answered the question (some do, say they eat at a cafeteria or something), then it would make it easier to pin down what the problem is. I'm not passing any judgement when I ask. I'm just asking a question, to get the biggest culprit out of the way (and sometimes people answer by 'I measure all my food', then yeah I have to assume they don't know that it's not the same as weighing so I try to educate a little).

Typically though, the first post has no indicator of what the situation of the person is, and most of the time it's because they're not losing weight anyway, so all we can do is ask questions... and it's the most basic one, because it's the only way to know for sure if the person is overeating or not.

And again, it's fine if some people don't need a scale. But if people are stuck in a plateau, they might need one.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The reason it gets asked is because weight loss is calories in vs. calories out.

No disagreement with why it's asked, but as with the two other examples I cited it's a question of how the question is asked. It's frequently a very stark question with no suggestion of empathy, or understanding.

If you want empathy and understanding, post in the Motivation and Support section. Otherwise I would assume you are seeking information.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I would have to disagree with this. I am a mom of 7 children. I have lost the weight after each of them and never with the use of a food scale. It isn't a matter of laziness, but of reality. If I am going to get 7 children fed, I don't have time to measure out and weigh each item I am eating and then record it, etc. I do use a measuring cup for pasta which I love, but most things I give a close guess and err on the side of caution. If you use a food scale and it has helped you then great, but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't do what you do is lazy. :flowerforyou:

Nobody with 7 kids is ever gonna be lazy... Must be a lovely chaos, though:flowerforyou:
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    If you want empathy and understanding, post in the Motivation and Support section. Otherwise I would assume you are seeking information.

I've perhaps not been clear, which is itself an example of the issue. The question/ response transaction can go a number of different ways. I'm not suggesting that the questioner is looking for empathy, but that one is going to enter into a more meaningful dialogue by approaching it as an adult/ adult transaction. It's frequently deployed more as an adult/ child transaction, which doesn't invite response.

Of course I recognise that many aren't wanting to engage in that dialogue but merely provide instruction. That's fine as well.

Of course all of that transactional engagement is more difficult when we're dealing only with the written word, there are none of the audio or visual cues that moderate adult/ child wording and move it to an adult/ adult transaction.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

I've perhaps not been clear, which is itself an example of the issue. The question/ response transaction can go a number of different ways. I'm not suggesting that the questioner is looking for empathy, but that one is going to enter into a more meaningful dialogue by approaching it as an adult/ adult transaction. It's frequently deployed more as an adult/ child transaction, which doesn't invite response.

Of course I recognise that many aren't wanting to engage in that dialogue but merely provide instruction. That's fine as well.

Of course all of that transactional engagement is more difficult when we're dealing only with the written word, there are none of the audio or visual cues that moderate adult/ child wording and move it to an adult/ adult transaction.

I generally just lay down tne information or ask a clarifying question. Sometimes it is perceived as snarky, but I lkke to think that most can appreciate the substance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Typically though, the first post has no indicator of what the situation of the person is, and most of the time it's because they're not losing weight anyway, so all we can do is ask questions... and it's the most basic one, because it's the only way to know for sure if the person is overeating or not.

So other ways to elicit some useful information might be -

What are you trying to achieve?
    What does good look like?
    What are you doing to make sure that you know how much you eat?
    What tools do you use to help you control what you eat?

There are similar issues when people talk about "cardio" as their calories out dimension. It needs some elicitation to establish whether that means 20 minutes in front of a DVD or sub 50 minute 10Ks four times per week.
  • kgeyser
    Options

Have you ever been on the Eat, Train, Progress group? People will ask Sara and SideSteel for advice as to why they are not losing, and the first response is always "answer these questions," one of which is to open their diary. People here love to help, but no one wants to waste their time. It's not meant to be rude or unsympathetic, but I also don't want to spend a thread building someone up when the reason they aren't losing is that they are eating over their calories and refusing to acknowledge it.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Scales are useful for when you have a narrower deficit and therefore less of a margin of error.
    It can also be useful for troubleshooting a problem.

That being said, different strokes for different folks. I certainly didn't get fat because I don't know
    my exact caloric intake or expenditure.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

There are similar issues when people talk about "cardio" as their calories out dimension. It needs some elicitation to establish whether that means 20 minutes in front of a DVD or sub 50 minute 10Ks four times per week.

I usually ask several questions, including questions about goals, time frame (have you been stalled for 2 weeks or 2 months? etc). I also ask about a food scale. If I just ask "are you logging accurately" most people will say yes, even if they are not. I ask specifically about the scale because I want to know how accurate is accurate.

I personally want to get an idea of what's been going on, aside from what they write in the OP, before I offer an advice. Because the advice I want to give based on the first post might not be appropriate once more information is given. I don't see any problem with asking exactly what I need to know in order to form a response that will be most helpful. If I say "what tools are you using to ensure accurate logging" and they don't list a scale, I'm just going to come back with "but are you using a food scale?" Saves time to just ask what I want to know directly.

It's a good thing that different people give advice in different ways. Some may respond better to my technique, some might respond better to yours.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the reason the question is often is ignored is because it's not a yes or no answer. Most of us weigh some things, sometimes, until we get a feel for sizes. It's possible to be semi-accurate without weighing everything or even anything. Most people think they're accurate enough. Are they? It depends on their goal deficit, usually. That's one reason I say AIMING for 2 lbs/week is fine. You'll probably only achieve one due to measurement error.

The one I see over and over is this: "I've done everything right for a whole week, including Insanity and weights and running, and I've gained! I'm 19, 5'4" and 122 lbs." That's not food measurement error. That's (normal, human) body dysmorphia and impatience and water.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I think the reason the question is often is ignored is because it's not a yes or no answer. Most of us weigh some things, sometimes, until we get a feel for sizes. It's possible to be semi-accurate without weighing everything or even anything. Most people think they're accurate enough. Are they? It depends on their goal deficit, usually. That's one reason I say AIMING for 2 lbs/week is fine. You'll probably only achieve one due to measurement error.

The one I see over and over is this: "I've done everything right for a whole week, including Insanity and weights and running, and I've gained! I'm 19, 5'4" and 122 lbs." That's not food measurement error. That's (normal, human) body dysmorphia and impatience and water.

Hopefully in that case people would be saying "be patient." That's what I would say anyway.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    It's a good thing that different people give advice in different ways. Some may respond better to my technique, some might respond better to yours.

You've just described what I'm suggesting as a more productive way to approach the issue; ask some questions, frame them in such a way as to get meaningful answers.
  • AeternityMiserealis
    Options
    To be honest I don't weigh my food. I don't have a scale.
    Also I don't eat healthy at all and eat prepackaged foods with labels on the side oh jeez @_@'
  • kgeyser
    Options

I usually ask several questions, including questions about goals, time frame (have you been stalled for 2 weeks or 2 months? etc). I also ask about a food scale. If I just ask "are you logging accurately" most people will say yes, even if they are not. I ask specifically about the scale because I want to know how accurate is accurate.

I personally want to get an idea of what's been going on, aside from what they write in the OP, before I offer an advice. Because the advice I want to give based on the first post might not be appropriate once more information is given. I don't see any problem with asking exactly what I need to know in order to form a response that will be most helpful. If I say "what tools are you using to ensure accurate logging" and they don't list a scale, I'm just going to come back with "but are you using a food scale?" Saves time to just ask what I want to know directly.

The responsibility is on the person asking the question to effectively convey the information or the intent. So if the original poster doesn't give a lot of information, or doesn't say what they want other than "help" or "any advice," the readers are left to respond based on what they think the poster is asking. So while I agree that there are lots of nice open ended questions people can ask to get the same information, the poster themselves also needs to take some responsibility and just be upfront about things instead of making the community drag it out of them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

The responsibility is on the person asking the question to effectively convey the information or the intent. So if the original poster doesn't give a lot of information, or doesn't say what they want other than "help" or "any advice," the readers are left to respond based on what they think the poster is asking. So while I agree that there are lots of nice open ended questions people can ask to get the same information, the poster themselves also needs to take some responsibility and just be upfront about things instead of making the community drag it out of them.

I completely agree.

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone throws out that they have a health issue on page 5 or 6 of a thread. That kind of thing should be said upfront.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Here in Italy people weigh food habitally since we are on the metric system. For instance a portion of pasta is 100g, rice(dry) is 50-75g. Italian children have absolutley no food issues do to weighing food. Let your children help you weigh. It'll build good habits for them. Italians may be thinner than Americans because they naturally weigh food and portion sizes can't grow--it's more exact.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I actually was thinking about buying a food scale yesterday but didn't. It would be nice to weigh my meat because that is something I just guess on. Although a package of chicken breasts come with a weight so I normally just divide by the number of breasts... It has to be pretty accurate. Things like bananas, apples, I just log as a banana that I find in the database. Broccoli and rice I measure in cups, etc. meat is the main thing I would use a scale for.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh everything, but vegetables, those I just estimated. I consistently logged 1100 calories and after a couple of weeks I started to worry that I ate too little even though I felt fine. For fun I weighed all my vegetables as well and guess what, my diary showed 1350 immediately. So clearly I wasn't eating too little at all.

Since then I did have a couple of busy days where I actually ate 1000 cals a day and I would feel incredibly lethargic for a couple of days after, so in conclusion if I read someone saying that they are eating 1200 cals or under and work out an hour every day and they are not losing weight, I always assume that they are measuring their intake wrong.