Hyperthyroid and still fat

Options
Last year I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism and placed on meds to regulate. I found this extremely hilarious since I am overweight and cant lose even though I workout 5-6x/wk and have been logging since 2011. The Dr said that in some cases weightloss can be difficult with this diagnosis. I also have Adrenal Fatigue and elevated Cortisol levels. I feel the meds aren't helping me. The last few tests to check have shown it to be normal. I am stiff, tired yet cant sleep, *****y, and wake up swollen. My fingers are like sausages. I am considering going Gluten Free. Basically what I am looking for is if anyone else has this (Hyperthyroidism) and was successful at losing weight. Don't get me wrong....I have lost 60 (gained 15 over the holidays) but still am not to goal weight yet....so after almost 3 years I am starting to get pissed off. I am very much into naturally curing this and already take Fish Oil, Vit D3, Magnesium, Vit B Complex and 3 other Organic pills that regulate hormones and organ functioning plus a multivitamin. Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned about gluten, you can be tested for it. But you have to be eating it in order for the test results to be accurate. Cutting out all gluten is no easy task, but some people have to because they either have Celiacs or a gluten sensitivity.

I have hypothyroid, so I'm no help there. Sorry!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's, and I lost 20 lbs. in a year. So I was able to lose, but very slowly.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    ^^^^thanks, wasn't sure there was a test or not. I just read to go gluten free and sugar free to help with thyroid/hormone/Adrenal Fatigue issues. I am too young for all this crap!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Hello! You say conflicting things. If you have adrenal fatigue, your cortisol would be low.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was told that gluten greatly interferes with thyroid function. Not sure of the specifics because I aven't looked into enough yet.
    Low carb and gluten free are both very common for thyroid issues!

Good luck!!
  • 4theking
    Options
    I was told that gluten greatly interferes with thyroid function. Not sure of the specifics because I aven't looked into enough yet.

Good luck!!

Gluten only interferes if you are alergic to it. Low carb can actually hurt thyroid function.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I've been taking synthroid since 2001. My levels have been going from one extreme to another since 2007. Despite that I have been able to lose 135 and counting since March 2012. Some doctors believe/feel that any TSH below 5 is okay. Recent studies show that most people feel better between a 1 and 2. It is very important that you are tested regularly.

As far as the gluten thing...I have no idea. I do however eat LOWER carb and that's what works for me.
  • 4theking
    Options
    I've been taking synthroid since 2001. My levels have been going from one extreme to another since 2007. Despite that I have been able to lose 135 and counting since March 2012. Some doctors believe/feel that any TSH below 5 is okay. Recent studies show that most people feel better between a 1 and 2. It is very important that you are tested regularly.

As far as the gluten thing...I have no idea. I do however eat LOWER carb and that's what works for me.

Lower carb is a great way to lose fat but if you go too low, conversion of T4 to T3 will drop. 100gms or lower days on end will cause problems.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I have had an underactive thyroid since having my son in 2007. I take 50mg of Levothyroxine daily and then I wait 3 hours before I eat my first meal. I set my alarm clock on my phone so that I do not forget to take it. I usually take it around 5 am and then by the time I get my son on the school bus at 7:30, I can eat breakfast as early as 8 if I want; although, I usually wait until around 11am to eat my first meal, but at least I know that I let the pill digest in my system.

Those supplements you mentioned are you taking them at the same time you are taking the pill because I take my pill on an empty stomach with water and I do not eat or drink anything until after 2 to 3 hours so that nothing will interfere with its absorption. My doctor never told me to wait 2 to 3 hours, she just told me to take it everyday. For the longest, I could not lose weight because I didn't know this. I would just take my pill and then start eating breakfast.

As soon as I waited 2 to 3 hours, then ate, I started losing weight, once I ate the right amounts and right kinds of foods. I have not hit a plateau as of yet and my starting weight was 238 pounds and I'm 5 ft 3 inches. Now, I weigh 159 and I'm trying to get down to 120 pounds.

So, you can add me if you like. The only thing I can think of why your not having luck is because you are taking those supplements with your thyroid medicine and your not waiting long enough to allow it to fully absorb and work in your system which is interfering with your ability to lose weight. I think calcium and iron interfere with the pill too.
  • poesch77
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high Cortisol and Hyper from my Endocrinologist and Gyno- the Adrenal Fatigued was diagnosed from my Chiropractor on taking a health questionnaire. I am sure the elevated stress levels come with Hyper diagnosis. I have all symptons of Adrenal Fatigue...so who knows. I am not a Dr.
  • amaysngrace
    Options

Good luck!!

It hasn't interfered with my thyroid function. I do eat low carb, high protein, high fat, but not necessarily on purpose. Just the things I so happen to like, happen to be low in carbs, I guess.
  • poesch77
    Options
    I AM HYPER NOT HYPO so my issue is slightly different. I take all my pills together so I don't forget.
  • poesch77
    Options
    Hello! You say conflicting things. If you have adrenal fatigue, your cortisol would be low.

This is why I find it so funny I have HYPER! I am a high strung person apparently and my heart is ALWAYS racing! I am exhausted from this! I feel better though when I workout...like I am releasing pent up energy! I just want some insight on some things to do. I feel this med for HYPER is slowing me down since its purpose is to technically "slow" down my thyroid.
  • 4theking
    Options
    I wouldn't take a diagnosis from answering questions. You need saliva cortisol testing for that. So you have had T4 and T3 tested and they confirmed hyper? Your heart can race for other reasons other than hyper. Would love to offer insight just trying to understand exactly where you are at.
  • amaysngrace
    Options
    I AM HYPER NOT HYPO so my issue is slightly different. I take all my pills together so I don't forget.

Wouldn't HYPER cause the opposite result, such as losing weight fast, not the ability to not be able to lose weight, right, like it would if it was underactive? So, can you clarify, do you have an Overactive thyroid or an Underactive thyroid, since hyper/hypo is kind of confusing to some.
  • newleafeveryday
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (body attacks the thyroid, so I go from hyper to hypo sometimes several times in a day) and have been researching this for a while. When I was first diagnosed and began taking Westhroid (a T3T4 glandular compound), I gained weight like crazy. Then I got tested for food allergies. As soon as I stopped eating gluten, almonds, Brazil nuts, dairy, and soy (all allergens for me) and kept track of my food intake on MFP, I began to lose weight. Slowly. During the holidays this year I put on weight because I was feeling pretty good and included a few things like sugar and soy and nuts in my diet. Everything in my body swelled, including my knees. Not only am I back on my original routine, I've discovered a few things I didn't know, for me, at least: It's all about digestion and leaky gut syndrome. I don't digest well. Period. I need more good bacteria in my intestines than bad. So I took out my old trusty juicer and began juicing vegetables and a few fruits. I stay away from raw kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. because they supposedly interfere with proper thyroid function(steaming them is apparently okay). I'm eating only things that are easy for me to digest. No beans. No nuts or seeds right now. Ground turkey seems to be okay for me. I make a lot of green smoothies. I've recently discovered Rejuvenative Foods organic fermented veggies to help reintroduce good bacteria, and it seems to help after only two days. VERY low in calories. I'm trying a bit of coconut oil for cooking (and on some steamed veggies)--it seems to help with my heart palpitations (coconut oil therapy is controversial, so I'm being cautious and seeing how my body reacts or responds). There's a book out that is helping me understand the function of the thyroid gland and its disorders. It's written for people with Hashimoto's, but it's filled with so much great information about both hyper and hypothyroidism that I think it might be of interest to you. It's called "HASHIMOTO'S THYROIDITIS: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause."

I hope this helps you find out what works best for your body. We're all different, especially where thyroid issues are concerned, and I wish you the very best on this journey. It's hard, I truly know. My weight is going down again, but I have to stay calm and aware of what I'm doing. So many things affect the thyroid: stress, emotions, everyday ups and downs. If I have any advice, I'd venture to say this--it may sound corny, but bear with me: Love your thyroid. It's shaped like a butterfly, and it flutters, and it's fragile. Try to find out what it wants to get healthy again.

Continue to take good care of yourself...
  • poesch77
    Options
    If you read my first post its says I am HYPER (overactive!!) and find it funny since I am overweight. I have blood work to show my elevated Cortisol levels and the Adrenal Fatigue was diagnosed thru questionnaire. This is why I don't understand why I have such issues losing weight. I should be thin! Not trying to be snappy but I stated all this in my originally post. Just want some insight from others who are in same boat as me- FAT YET HYPERACTIVE THYROID! :)
  • 4theking
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (body attacks the thyroid, so I go from hyper to hypo sometimes several times in a day) and have been researching this for a while. When I was first diagnosed and began taking Westhroid (a T3T4 glandular compound), I gained weight like crazy. Then I got tested for food allergies. As soon as I stopped eating gluten, almonds, Brazil nuts, dairy, and soy (all allergens for me) and kept track of my food intake on MFP, I began to lose weight. Slowly. During the holidays this year I put on weight because I was feeling pretty good and included a few things like sugar and soy and nuts in my diet. Everything in my body swelled, including my knees. Not only am I back on my original routine, I've discovered a few things I didn't know, for me, at least: It's all about digestion and leaky gut syndrome. I don't digest well. Period. I need more good bacteria in my intestines than bad. So I took out my old trusty juicer and began juicing vegetables and a few fruits. I stay away from raw kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. because they supposedly interfere with proper thyroid function(steaming them is apparently okay). I'm eating only things that are easy for me to digest. No beans. No nuts or seeds right now. Ground turkey seems to be okay for me. I make a lot of green smoothies. I've recently discovered Rejuvenative Foods organic fermented veggies to help reintroduce good bacteria, and it seems to help after only two days. VERY low in calories. I'm trying a bit of coconut oil for cooking (and on some steamed veggies)--it seems to help with my heart palpitations (coconut oil therapy is controversial, so I'm being cautious and seeing how my body reacts or responds). There's a book out that is helping me understand the function of the thyroid gland and its disorders. It's written for people with Hashimoto's, but it's filled with so much great information about both hyper and hypothyroidism that I think it might be of interest to you. It's called "HASHIMOTO'S THYROIDITIS: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause."

I hope this helps you find out what works best for your body. We're all different, especially where thyroid issues are concerned, and I wish you the very best on this journey. It's hard, I truly know. My weight is going down again, but I have to stay calm and aware of what I'm doing. So many things affect the thyroid: stress, emotions, everyday ups and downs. If I have any advice, I'd venture to say this--it may sound corny, but bear with me: Love your thyroid. It's shaped like a butterfly, and it flutters, and it's fragile. Try to find out what it wants to get healthy again.

Continue to take good care of yourself...

Yes, soy can cause problems with the thyroid and should be avoided. Usually, when the thyroid is not working correctly, cortisol does not work correctly. When cortisol gets messed up, digestion problems will arise. Best of luck to you on your journey.
  • 4theking
    Options

Wouldn't HYPER cause the opposite result, such as losing weight fast, not the ability to not be able to lose weight, right, like it would if it was underactive? So, can you clarify, do you have an Overactive thyroid or an Underactive thyroid, since hyper/hypo is kind of confusing to some.

Sometimes the opposite happens in the body. For example, some people with hypo experience weight loss.
  • poesch77
    Options

Sometimes the opposite happens in the body. For example, some people with hypo experience weight loss.

THANK YOU! This is hard for some (even me) to wrap their heads around. I wish I had the weightloss issue with HYPER!