Hyperthyroid and still fat

Options

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I AM HYPER NOT HYPO so my issue is slightly different. I take all my pills together so I don't forget.

Wouldn't HYPER cause the opposite result, such as losing weight fast, not the ability to not be able to lose weight, right, like it would if it was underactive? So, can you clarify, do you have an Overactive thyroid or an Underactive thyroid, since hyper/hypo is kind of confusing to some.

Sometimes the opposite happens in the body. For example, some people with hypo experience weight loss.

THANK YOU! This is hard for some (even me) to wrap their heads around. I wish I had the weightloss issue with HYPER!

You are welcome. I have studied the thyroid exstensively but to be honest, I haven't studied what you should do in your situation. Wish I could help.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high Cortisol and Hyper from my Endocrinologist and Gyno- the Adrenal Fatigued was diagnosed from my Chiropractor on taking a health questionnaire. I am sure the elevated stress levels come with Hyper diagnosis. I have all symptons of Adrenal Fatigue...so who knows. I am not a Dr.

Neither is your chiropractor. With all due respect, adrenal fatigue is not a recognized medical condition.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/expert-answers/adrenal-fatigue/FAQ-20057906
  • 4theking
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high Cortisol and Hyper from my Endocrinologist and Gyno- the Adrenal Fatigued was diagnosed from my Chiropractor on taking a health questionnaire. I am sure the elevated stress levels come with Hyper diagnosis. I have all symptons of Adrenal Fatigue...so who knows. I am not a Dr.

Neither is your chiropractor. With all due respect, adrenal fatigue is not a recognized medical condition.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/addisons-disease/expert-answers/adrenal-fatigue/FAQ-20057906

With all due respect, regardless of whether it is recognized or not, it is real. When it happens, typically your cortisol is low all day and peaks at night causing sleeping problems. It is pretty common.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

I guess then it must be like Fibromyalgia.......a bunch of issues looped together and given a label. Either way all symptoms point to me whether I like or not.....just trying to rectify it.
  • 4theking
    Options

and just because it comes from the Mayo, does not make it gospel. I recently had a friend come back from there after all kinds of tests and they said they were not sure what was wrong with her. After looking at her tests, it was quite obvious to me that she was hypothyroid with adrenal fatigue. She is now being treated for it and is doing much better after years of strugglying with the same syptoms.
  • shall1112
    Options
    I assume that in addition to having your TSH and T4 checked you've also had your T3 checked? Most docs treat all thyroid problems with synthroid and play around with levels and that's it. But it is not always the solution. It wasn't until adding a T3 med to my meds did I start to feel better. They kept telling me my "numbers" were fixed while taking high dose of synthroid so there must not be anything else wrong despite feeling fatigued and not being able to lose a lb despite effort.

It took me a while to find a dr that believed in T3 treatment. I now take cytomel and I feel soooo much better. My dosages of both drugs are still being adjusted but it's progress.

Good luck.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

and just because it comes from the Mayo, does not make it gospel. I recently had a friend come back from there after all kinds of tests and they said they were not sure what was wrong with her. After looking at her tests, it was quite obvious to me that she was hypothyroid with adrenal fatigue. She is now being treated for it and is doing much better after years of strugglying with the same syptoms.

But what does it even mean? It is a collection of symptoms, with no clear cause. That is what I mean by not a recognized disease, like fibromyalgia has become. You are welcome to your opinion that it exists. It doesn't make it a fact. I simply wanted to caution the OP, because her doctor did not make this diagnosis, her chiropracter did. :huh: So it should be taken with a grain of salt IMO.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I assume that in addition to having your TSH and T4 checked you've also had your T3 checked? Most docs treat all thyroid problems with synthroid and play around with levels and that's it. But it is not always the solution. It wasn't until adding a T3 med to my meds did I start to feel better. They kept telling me my "numbers" were fixed while taking high dose of synthroid so there must not be anything else wrong despite feeling fatigued and not being able to lose a lb despite effort.

It took me a while to find a dr that believed in T3 treatment. I now take cytomel and I feel soooo much better. My dosages of both drugs are still being adjusted but it's progress.

Good luck.

The OP has HYPERthyroid (overactive). You are talking about HYPOthyroid (underactive).
  • poesch77
    Options
    Welp....I guess I am screwed since Adrenal Fatigue is a generic diagnosis....and whether my Chiropractor is a certified Dr or not he knows more than I do. All symptoms of this cept the weightloss are apparent to mine. I just hate feeling like a grandma at 36 yrs old. It hurts too when I am swollen up like a puffer fish. I was on a water pill to help but Endocrinologist told me to stop taking it. WTF......I cant imagine what I will feel like at 50- cant wait. :(
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Welp....I guess I am screwed since Adrenal Fatigue is a generic diagnosis....and whether my Chiropractor is a certified Dr or not he knows more than I do. All symptoms of this cept the weightloss are apparent to mine. I just hate feeling like a grandma at 36 yrs old. It hurts too when I am swollen up like a puffer fish. I was on a water pill to help but Endocrinologist told me to stop taking it. WTF......I cant imagine what I will feel like at 50- cant wait. :(
    I have no answer for you since I am not versed in this area, but I do want to say to hang in there.
  • poesch77
    Options
    I am sure I wont get any answers....just was hoping. Going to try some Holy Basil to lower my Cortisol and see how that works. I just feel all this working out and logging is wasteful when I am not where I want to be after almost 3 years.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. There's no magic bullet, but I think you've gotten some good advice here about things to try. Don't change too many things at once, or you won't be able to tell what's working.

If you feel overwhelmed, start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • poesch77
    Options
    Everybody's different. Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. There's no magic bullet, but I think you've gotten some good advice here about things to try. Don't change too many things at once, or you won't be able to tell what's working.

If you feel overwhelmed, start here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks but I am NOT just getting started. I started MFP 3/2011 so you would think I would be almost at goal by now......I have tweaked almost everything more than once. Its super frustrating.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It took me a whole year to lose 20 lbs. I understand your frustration! What you're doing right now is not working for you. Keep changing it up until everything "clicks." For me, it was getting an activity tracker (like Fitbit or Jawbone). There's no telling what will make all the difference for you.
  • poesch77
    Options
    I just got the Polar T4.....it is definitely more accurate than my MIO was. I have all these health issues that I think are hindering my weightloss attempts. Just tired of tracking everything all the time.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed hyperthyroid late last year and gained too. Not everyone loses weight. My doctor said that because it increases your metabolism, your appetite increases as well and you can be hungry enough to out-eat the metabolism increase. With my meds (methimazole) my appetite has gone back to normal, though now we're trying to keep me from going hypo. Thyroid stuff is no fun. Good luck! Your thyroid is overproducing and it's dangerous. Nothing like changing what you eat is going to fix it. Take your meds and the racing heart and inability to sleep will go away. I would only trust the MD diagnoses and forget the chiropractor ones...
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As someone with celiac disease, I would not recommend going on a gluten-free diet unless you have CD or a gluten/wheat allergy. It greatly limits the food you can eat; going out anywhere is a pain; if you really, really want something that is usually filled with gluten like bread or pizza, the gluten-free option usually tastes like cardboard; it is expensive (every once in a while, I just want a damn sandwich, but the GF bread I get that tastes the least like cardboard is $7 a loaf); and worst of all, no more beer. As others have said, if you think gluten is causing problems for you, you can have a test done, but you still need to be eating gluten to get an accurate reading.
  • poesch77
    Options
    I was diagnosed hyperthyroid late last year and gained too. Not everyone loses weight. My doctor said that because it increases your metabolism, your appetite increases as well and you can be hungry enough to out-eat the metabolism increase. With my meds (methimazole) my appetite has gone back to normal, though now we're trying to keep me from going hypo. Thyroid stuff is no fun. Good luck! Your thyroid is overproducing and it's dangerous. Nothing like changing what you eat is going to fix it. Take your meds and the racing heart and inability to sleep will go away. I would only trust the MD diagnoses and forget the chiropractor ones...

I am on the same meds for about 6 months now and no better...I think worse. My last 2 lab checks showed in normal range for numbers. I go back to recheck in Feb and hoping to go off meds completely. I have done research and everything my Chiro has said have been backed up with these facts. Did you lose the weight after starting meds or before. How long have you been on Methimazole?
  • twilightlvr79
    twilightlvr79 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid over ten years ago. I have fluctuated back and forth with my weight. Normally, they say that you are supposed to lose weight with hyperthyroid but for me I seem to gain. After having been on Tapazole for nearly a year and having lost a little over 70 pounds the doctor decided to take me off of the medicine because my thyroid level was finally normal. After coming off the medicine I have gained about 33 pounds just since Christmas. Does any else experience such drastic weight gain with their Hyperthyroidism? I am a fairly active person I play roller derby and rugby but I can't seem to lose weight at all. I am in desperate need of help!
  • ornerycuss
    ornerycuss Posts: 2
    Options
    How are you doing? I just got the same test results back. Hyperthyroidism and I am having a hell of a time loosing weight. I am very active. I have been google-ing can you be overweight and hyperthyroid....and yes there are many of us out there...Going to look into all treatments but just checking to see how you are doing and what your meds are doing?