Small Rant: Pillsbury, really?!

Options
I am on MFP pretty constantly throughout the day and I can not tell you how many pillsbury recipes I am drooling over because of the constant rotating ads! Cudos to pillsbury, I studied marketing for a bit in college and I can see every reason in the world why this makes sense for them, but seriously?!! SERIOUSLY?!

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any. What's a good recipe?
  • sillybeth84
    Options
    I am on MFP pretty constantly throughout the day and I can not tell you how many pillsbury recipes I am drooling over because of the constant rotating ads! Cudos to pillsbury, I studied marketing for a bit in college and I can see every reason in the world why this makes sense for them, but seriously?!! SERIOUSLY?!

Yeah, that seems kind of shady. I haven't noticed them or any ads yet but if they are that low to try to appeal to people trying to do better that is AWFUL.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Pillsbury isn't doing anything wrong. If you want to complain to someone, complain to MFP for making ka-ching off of the tempting ads - if there's any hypocrisy in action here, that's where it lies!
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The ads are based off your recent internet search history.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    you can change your ad settings
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    MFP is free to us because of the ads. Ads are personalized based on you r internet usage and searches. For example, I was doing some research on sports bras so I get a lot of sports bra ads. When I was looking up recipes, I got a lot of food related ads. Sorry, it is the price we pay for those wonderful mfp people. :smile:
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Given that MFP is a calorie counting site, the only hypocrisy in this would be if Pilsbury didn't publish nutrition information. They do, so it's more than possible to use the tool given to them to determine whether Pilsbury fits in their diary.

I personally think the 'quick fix' diet and exercise ads that appear would be much, much more hypocritical than any junk food ads. Except I know how google adsense works, so I understand that there is no hypocrisy here at all.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Given that MFP is a calorie counting site, the only hypocrisy in this would be if Pilsbury didn't publish nutrition information. They do, so it's more than possible to use the tool given to them to determine whether Pilsbury fits in their diary.

I personally think the 'quick fix' diet and exercise ads that appear would be much, much more hypocritical than any junk food ads. Except I know how google adsense works, so I understand that there is no hypocrisy here at all.

All of this.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options

Yeah, that seems kind of shady. I haven't noticed them or any ads yet but if they are that low to try to appeal to people trying to do better that is AWFUL.

Really? Because why? Who says Pillsbury is awful can't can't be used in a diet of moderation? That doesn't even make sense.

Also, you seem to have no idea as to how ads work.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

You must have clicked on some Pillsbury ads somewhere on the Internet. My rolling ads are all for items I have one time or another either purchased or looked at on line. I bought a couple of sweaters from Nordstrom on line in December. Now I get those same sweaters advertised to me both here and in FB. Also a lot of dog items. . . yes, I bought a crate on line a few months back.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I eat Pillsbury products while losing weight. OP can too.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the mini pot pies looked damn delicious. i dont think pillsbury makes GF free dough though :cry:
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The ads are based off your recent internet search history.

^this. I get banking ads... Lol.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yeah I see a bunch of BS quick fix diet plans, books, and exercise DVDs. Oh, and of course the supplement ads. So many ketones.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I never look at the ads. Im focused on food, exercise, and supporting my friends
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Now I'm getting them because I clicked on the post. Oh, the irony! That reminds me, I have Pillsbury cinnamon rolls in my fridge that I need to use up.:laugh:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Now I want some bacon cheddar pinwheels... Thanks OP :smile:

25311_933841797_l.jpg
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen any Pillsbury ads, but I know I keep getting "Slow Mac" ads.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I never look at the ads. Im focused on food, exercise, and supporting my friends

You are clearly an amazing individual, and I thank you for coming in and making sure we know it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I haven't seen any Pillsbury ads, but I know I keep getting "Slow Mac" ads.

What is slow mac? Mac and cheese..?