Small Rant: Pillsbury, really?!

Options

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Use Google Chrome and you won't see any ads. I actually wasn't even aware that MFP had advertisements on it at all. . .until I read this post.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Firefox....Ad Block....Problem solved!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Use Google Chrome and you won't see any ads. I actually wasn't even aware that MFP had advertisements on it at all. . .until I read this post.

I use Chrome and still see ads. Is there a way to turn them off?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There is ad blocking software you can add to chrome, but it's kinda poor form to disable it on sites that have ads that aren't very intrusive. I disable it for MFP in order to support the site.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have never seen an ad for that company. I see ads for protein shakes, cereal bars, pharmacies, yogurt, fitness clubs, and (oddly) women's clothes. It mostly depends on what you have clicked on recently or what you have searched. Remember the advice your mother gave you when you were young: just ignore them and they will go away. Of course, Mom never added the rest of the story: they will be replaced by something else!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    This is ghoulish. One of my MFP friends lost a close loved one today and now I am getting ads for "Rest in Peace Life Insurance". I have no idea if it's related, but it is creeping me out.:noway:
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options

Or any browser and use an Ad blocking service. I use Firefox and don't have to look at ads.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Adblock add-in. Just remember that these services are funded by ads and the owners deserve to make a buck like anyone else. Personally I disable my adblock for sites I like that use relatively non obtrusive ads. Unfortunately MFP, with auto play ads with sound, does not meet this description.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    MFP is free to us because of the ads. Ads are personalized based on you r internet usage and searches. For example, I was doing some research on sports bras so I get a lot of sports bra ads. When I was looking up recipes, I got a lot of food related ads. Sorry, it is the price we pay for those wonderful mfp people. :smile:

So weird, but good to know, thanks! I'm going to start searching for pics of really fit people lol!
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Alright kiddos, i get it! I've been searching too much pillsbury, guess thats how I got here hahahaha <3
    Thank you all for the explanations and some solutions, they were much needed!
  • missyont
    Options
    The ads are based off your recent internet search history.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Alright kiddos, i get it! I've been searching too much pillsbury, guess thats how I got here hahahaha <3
    Thank you all for the explanations and some solutions, they were much needed!

Does that mean no more cat gifs & food postings in this thread? Awwww, shucks. (Kicks rocks)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Common misconception. The ads within Google are based on your searching. Adsense ads in general may be based on your google history if you are logged into Google while using adsense enabled sites. But otherwise the ads are based on the content of the pages you are viewing and have viewed on the site you are on.

That's why you can get ads that mean nothing to you - they have picked up on things posted by other people, which appeared on your screen when you look at the main forums.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Ads? What ads?

Firefox + adblock.

Ain't go no stinkin' ads....
  • Ossodog
    Ossodog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    lol you guys, I never ever see adds, get add blocker. Problem solved ^_^
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I should look into the add blocker. I keep getting oprah magazine product endorsements :grumble:

If I get a dr oz ad I think I'm going to throw my iPad out the window!
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    My ads are for kids protein and mens underwear... I have neither kids nor men in my life currently (or internet searching for!) BUT am grateful to not see Pillsbury/food items, LOL :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Common misconception. The ads within Google are based on your searching. Adsense ads in general may be based on your google history if you are logged into Google while using adsense enabled sites. But otherwise the ads are based on the content of the pages you are viewing and have viewed on the site you are on.

That's why you can get ads that mean nothing to you - they have picked up on things posted by other people, which appeared on your screen when you look at the main forums.

This. I;ve gotten HCG ads after being in a HCG thread.

And this
    Given that MFP is a calorie counting site, the only hypocrisy in this would be if Pilsbury didn't publish nutrition information. They do, so it's more than possible to use the tool given to them to determine whether Pilsbury fits in their diary.

I personally think the 'quick fix' diet and exercise ads that appear would be much, much more hypocritical than any junk food ads. Except I know how google adsense works, so I understand that there is no hypocrisy here at all.

To add, the revenue from ads does keep this site free for use.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hoping my Dr Berenstain ( SIC ) ads will change to Pillsbury ads now.

Pillsbury-Cinnamon-Roll-at-7-Eleven.png
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options

I have no idea, to be honest. Ads are the reason that I downloaded it and they just stopped once I did. I don't recall changing any setting or anything. Try googling the answer! :happy: