Tips to Start a clean healthy lifestyle?

Options
I recently decided to change my way of eating and start adding exercises.
I'm pretty much a binge eater at most and need help on stopping that and maybe some other helpful tips.

Replies

• damianjh
    damianjh Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    See, I can only speak for myself on this, rather than give tips as such, but... hey ho...

I watched a few documentaries on Netflix about food and nutrition: "Food Matters," "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead," and "Vegucated." Now granted, I didn't sit there lapping up everything, but it inspired me to go and do a bit of research about nutrition, and the health benefits of a good diet full of fruit and vegetables and such.

I decided to develop my own masterplan: ie. Journey to my healthy happy food place. This essentially would be a diet where the aim isn't to lose weight, but to focus mainly on good nutrition, and anything else just being a benefit.
    There have been a few things I've set myself as absolute essentials in order for this to work:
    1) Eat a lot - Restriction is a bad thing for me.
    2) Feel full - Hunger is a bad thing for me.
    3) Focus on nutrition rather than weight loss

With this in mind, I've done some reading up - trawling what felt like the entire internet to make a few decisions. Resultantly: On the whole: I'm meat-free, fish-free, processed-food-free, bread-free. I'm eating a lot of fruit, vegetables, and proteins like tofu and egg - All in substantial quantities.

I think the most important change for me is to allow fluidity with my rules. So, should I want meat one day, I'm not going to beat myself up about eating it. That's not happened yet, however, and replacing cookies with fruit, and my non-existant breakfasts with scrambled eggs has just put me in a really good place food wise. I feel full of energy, happy, awake... What's more, my stats have been looking pretty good, and I'm not craving junk. (Although my stir frys do have a nice glug of sweet chilli sauce :D)

I don't know, but for me, this change of lifestyle has been great. I'm losing weight without trying, I'm not feeling hungry, I'm eating loads, and I feel in a much better place of health than when I started. I realise this isn't for everyone, and I'm not suggesting anyone else try my diet - it's really something you have to research and discover for yourself. But, you know, have fun with it - if you say to yourself 'I MUST do these things' it'll probably hinder you in the long run. Take it slow, and enjoy it.

=]
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I recently decided to change my way of eating and start adding exercises.
    I'm pretty much a binge eater at most and need help on stopping that and maybe some other helpful tips.

First tip don't worry about "clean" eating...as long as you wash your food (fruits and veggies) you are fine.

Fill in your goals (and be reasonable) and by that I mean if you need to lose over 100lb 2lbs a wek is good, 50-100 1.5, 25-50lbs 1lb a week...under 25lbs 1/2lb a week.

Find out what your calories are and eat that everyday and if you exercise fill that in and eat back a portion of your exercise (MFP is know to over estimate) if you are new to exercise try different things until you find something you love...barring that find something you like. Build on that.

As well read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

That's what I have done and I have lost over 40lbs...dropped 4 sizes and feel amazing.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

That's what I have done and I have lost over 40lbs...dropped 4 sizes and feel amazing.
    ^^^This. You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. You can eat anything in moderation--anything--if it fits your macros.

Everybody's different, so it'll take trial & error to find what works best for you. But black & white thinking can be self defeating. Sometimes good enough is good enough.