What kind of milk do you drink?

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
I laid off the regular (skimmed) milk a while back. I've never been a big milk drinker and I've usually avoided it in my coffee in the morning as it's made me somewhat bloated and uncomfortable.
But instead of just doing an espresso, I tried coconut milk a while ago. I liked it MUCH better, it's light and I don't feel queezy after.

Now I've moved and my local grocery shops don't carry coconut milk. I thought soy milk could work, and now I've had it for two days and I'm crazy bloated. I feel "full" and my stomach, which was just starting to go away after my January diet/low carb started, feels big again.

What kind of milk works best for you if you don't drink dairy? Are there other types I might try?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk
  • julianne824
    julianne824 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Same thing was happening to me and went to black coffee cold turkey one day. I feel so much better. If I come across coconut milk I will try it.

Did you try unsweetened almond milk? If you have more calories to play around with they do make a chocolate or vanilla flavored.
  • reneemosley
    reneemosley Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Homemade almond milk with vanilla bean and chia
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Whole milk or 2%. I'm not allergic to milk and the alternatives are nowhere near it nutritionally
  • j67867
    j67867 Posts: 27
    Options
    semi skimmed
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Full cream whole milk for me - have you tried or can you get either goats milk or lactose free milk?
  • Gran315
    Gran315 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My daughter introduced me to almond milk and at 14 cals per 100ml, I'm like it, I don't know what it would be like in coffee though as I drink fruit teas and have my coffee black . She likes to make her own, but discovered almonds were more expensive over here than they are in California where she lives, so she settled for supermarket one whilst she was here.
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Full cream whole milk for me...

me too!
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I don't drink any milk because I don't like the taste and texture of it. My kids like vanilla almond milk (I do a lot of baking for a relative with a dairy allergy so I usually have it in the house).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Still 2% milk for me. I like almond milk in smoothies but I find it gross in everything else. Go figure.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk- never really have, for as long as I can remember. Fortunately, I love nonfat Greek yogurt.

I drink my coffee black but if I'm someplace where there's half-and-half I splurge and add that.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk in coffee just to make it a bit smoother; otherwise, not so big on milk.
  • ms_jen21
    ms_jen21 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    2% or Vitamin D
  • MirandaDeCrane
    MirandaDeCrane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love organic whole milk...I do occasionally drink Silk soy (regular, not the light one) in cereal. I'm not a big milk drinker period, but do go between those. I have eczema and dairy in excess will cause it to flair up, so I have to be careful!
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    30 calorie unsweetened almond milk...I like Silk brand the best
  • iamthesweenmachine
    iamthesweenmachine Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I only drink skim. My dad puts 2% in his coffee, so we have that in the house as well, and I generally use that in my cooking and baking unless I'm told otherwise.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is awesome.
  • Aedon2
    Aedon2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Skim milk or 1%. I can't stand 2% or whole my body starts to rebel. I LOVE milk though and it was the only time my Mom was ever able to drink milk was when she was pregnant with me. I usually add a splash to my black teas. I would love to try almond milk sometime though. I'm not sure if I like Coconut milk but then I've only tried it out of a coconut in Mexico and not the store stuff so I might like it. I found it to be an odd flavour and I just couldn't make up my mind on the matter.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk

I actually tried this in my coffee yesterday (as I was out of my dairy) and it was pretty tasty! And I always use it for my protein shakes.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I keep 1% in the house but rarely drink it myself. Just don't care for it. I use it primarily in recipes or to mix a protein shake to get the protein up higher than the powder alone can provide. I drink my coffee black :D