• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    In for all the wanna be doctors:)

sup
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    A person only needs 200 mg of sodium a day to keep enough in their system....the 2300mg daily amount listed on here is the generous maximum a person should have, though most people are getting upwards of 3500 or more a day if they're not careful. Like so many other people have mentioned, the only weight you'll gain with sodium is retained water, and that's not real weight. You also increase your chance of high blood pressure and/or heart disease. Not really worth it for a little bit of water weight.

omg if you could hear how loud im facepalming right now - thank you for keeping nephrologists in business <3
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I've just found out that my sodium levels are too low for my objective, I want to gain weight.

Generally I consume around 1,136 and I need 2,500.

So, what is the best way to increase my sodium levels ?

Thanks.

Were you advised by a medical professional to increase your sodium intake? If that is the case,then do find ways to increase your intake. If not, don't increase it just because your MFP log is telling you your max is 2500. Most people get enough sodium in their food to meet daily needs without adding any. If weight gain is your objective, add calories, eat more protein and do muscle building weight lifiting.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I've just found out that my sodium levels are too low for my objective, I want to gain weight.

Generally I consume around 1,136 and I need 2,500.

So, what is the best way to increase my sodium levels ?

Thanks.

My advice...do some research based on scientific studies before you set a sodium level for yourself.

I am trying to cut mine due to health issues...I am finding it difficult. Even though I have stopped using the salt shaker. There is sodium in almost every thing you eat...even some fruits and veggies.

Research....research...research...before you make a decision on how much sodium your body needs. It will vary from person to person but you will find recommend doses for people without health issues.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That is not what you need, its the max amount to avoid increasing your risk of hypertension and cardiovascular disease.
    Have a blood test. I doubt your sodium is too low or you'd feel pretty sick.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    No one should be telling the OP not to increase sodium. For all you guys know, her doctor could have told her this?

Pre-packaged meals are high in sodium. I really like Amy's frozen burritos. They even make gluten and dairy free ones, and they're delicious.

jeez... her doctor would have told her what to do about it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I love the people saying "you don't need more sodium."

Diets with sodium under 1500 a day are associated with a higher risk of death than others. Super low-sodium diets, those under 1500 mg, are a compromise solution to balance the effects of high blood pressure against other factors. These diets are only appropriate for people who already have a medical condition.

Most people should get more than 1500 mg a day, especially if you're active and losing sodium through sweat.
  • montreal_wanderers
    Options
    I also agree with what a lot of others said. Sodium is not necessarily "needed" at 2,300 mg per day. That is the maximum amount for anyone to eat per day. If you can stay under this value, I would say you should continue to do so. 9 in 10 people eat more than 2,300 mg per day. Keep that in mind.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    A person only needs 200 mg of sodium a day to keep enough in their system....the 2300mg daily amount listed on here is the generous maximum a person should have, though most people are getting upwards of 3500 or more a day if they're not careful. Like so many other people have mentioned, the only weight you'll gain with sodium is retained water, and that's not real weight. You also increase your chance of high blood pressure and/or heart disease. Not really worth it for a little bit of water weight.

actually that number is 500mg to keep your organs functioning properly. Also some people have low blood pressure and thus need to have certain amount of sodium daily and that amount can vary between people. Furthermore it depends on where the person lives in a hot climate.

I agree that it depends on the person. Runners sometime need more sodium too!

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/pass-salt?page=single
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I munch on pickles, chips, and other salty snacks when my sodium is less than 500, and if it's reeally low I'll have a frozen dinner or canned soup for lunch.

however, i don't understand why you need more sodium to gain weight?

Serious question with no rude intentions... but how do you have a whole day where you don't consume 500mg of sodium? If you don't mind me asking... I just really can't imagine being able to do that unless I snacked on ice cubes and dry salads!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    My favorite sodium intake method is Beef Jerkey (1 serving is about 500mg) or some Pizza (1 Serving is almost 1000)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Diets with sodium under 1500 a day are associated with a higher risk of death than others. Super low-sodium diets, those under 1500 mg, are a compromise solution to balance the effects of high blood pressure against other factors. These diets are only appropriate for people who already have a medical condition.

Most people should get more than 1500 mg a day, especially if you're active and losing sodium through sweat.

THIS. I was hospitalized for a week for low sodium levels.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

THIS. I was hospitalized for a week for low sodium levels.

My niece has also been diagnosed with a condition that requires her to consume extra sodium as a part of her regular diet. Everyone is different, it's not safe to advise anyone what their "normal" should be until they've seen a doctor.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    But not all foods have sodium listed on their packaging, so the user who creates the food doesnt put it in. That doesnt mean that there is no sodium in it....
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

Last I heard it was 500mg for sedentary people drinking just the recommended amount of water. Like BMR, it should be considered as base line and most people should increase intake. Unless you have source refuting this?
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Deli meats and cheeses, pretzels, potato chips, sprinkling a little salt on your food, etc etc.

2500 mg of sodium isn't too much. 5000 or 6000 mg in one day is not impossible especially with the foods we have on the market today and I know that amount will make anyone put on water weight.
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Said No Body EVER!!! Seriously. Whatever you gain in weight due to higher sodium levels will fluctuate PLUS you need to be kind to your body. Sodium is not kind. Increase your calorie intake instead, if you want to gain! I should add that I have heard of people that need more levels of sodium, so this is mostly based on people as an average. Your intention is to gain weight - not to stabilize levels within.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The recommended daily amount of sodium is 1,500 g. Sodium in no way will help you gain fat or muscle.