I need more sodium

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Deli meats and cheeses, pretzels, potato chips, sprinkling a little salt on your food, etc etc.

2500 mg of sodium isn't too much. 5000 or 6000 mg in one day is not impossible especially with the foods we have on the market today and I know that amount will make anyone put on water weight.

Solid first post. Apparently you have a desire to suffer from high blood pressure and perhaps, a stroke is in your future.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Deli meats and cheeses, pretzels, potato chips, sprinkling a little salt on your food, etc etc.

2500 mg of sodium isn't too much. 5000 or 6000 mg in one day is not impossible especially with the foods we have on the market today and I know that amount will make anyone put on water weight.

Solid first post. Apparently you have a desire to suffer from high blood pressure and perhaps, a stroke is in your future.

There is surprisingly little evidence that such a level of sodium intake actually contributes to hypertension or stroke. Here's an interesting article about salt intake recommendations in general:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I get dizzy when I don't have enough sodium...although this may not be the best method out there, I generally will drink 2 packets of oxo 25% less sodium chicken broth in hot water.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Unless you eat really super clean, I very highly doubt you need more sodium in your diet. Do you log everything? Including condiments, seasoning packets, marinades, dressings, cheese? All of those things are very high in sodium. Unless you eat a really bland, flavorless diet, and eat super clean, like mostly all fruits, veggies, and lean meats with no seasonings, I just really find it hard to believe you are ACTUALLY not getting enough sodium. I struggle every single day to stay under my sodium intake. Anyways, IDK why you would want to add water weight anyways. You can increase your weight by either increasing body fat, or muscle. Water weight just makes you look bloated. Whatever floats your boat though. If you really did need more sodium, any of the things I mentioned above will certainly help you out, as well as anything that doesn't come from the ground or a tree. Add seasonings or marinades to your meat. Eat some canned stuff, or anything from a box. Lol.
  • mccindy72
    Options

There is surprisingly little evidence that such a level of sodium intake actually contributes to hypertension or stroke. Here's an interesting article about salt intake recommendations in general:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/opinion/sunday/we-only-think-we-know-the-truth-about-salt.html?pagewanted=all

Sure, I'll buy an article in the NY Times about salt intake... I'd rather trust medical professionals and an actual medical website.
    http://www.cdc.gov/salt/
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Unless you eat really super clean, I very highly doubt you need more sodium in your diet. Do you log everything? Including condiments, seasoning packets, marinades, dressings, cheese? All of those things are very high in sodium. Unless you eat a really bland, flavorless diet, and eat super clean, like mostly all fruits, veggies, and lean meats with no seasonings, I just really find it hard to believe you are ACTUALLY not getting enough sodium. I struggle every single day to stay under my sodium intake. Anyways, IDK why you would want to add water weight anyways. You can increase your weight by either increasing body fat, or muscle. Water weight just makes you look bloated. Whatever floats your boat though. If you really did need more sodium, any of the things I mentioned above will certainly help you out, as well as anything that doesn't come from the ground or a tree. Add seasonings or marinades to your meat. Eat some canned stuff, or anything from a box. Lol.

Be careful as to how you advise others regarding things like sodium levels and intake. As many have pointed out in this thread, there are many people who have medical conditions that require them to have a higher than normal sodium intake.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I saw ur post I am always over my sodium daily lol wish mine was like yours
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Sure, I'll buy an article in the NY Times about salt intake... I'd rather trust medical professionals and an actual medical website.
    http://www.cdc.gov/salt/

Believe what you like. The CDC and others move at a glacial pace when it comes to changing recommendations they've been making for years.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    A person only needs 200 mg of sodium a day to keep enough in their system....the 2300mg daily amount listed on here is the generous maximum a person should have, though most people are getting upwards of 3500 or more a day if they're not careful. Like so many other people have mentioned, the only weight you'll gain with sodium is retained water, and that's not real weight. You also increase your chance of high blood pressure and/or heart disease. Not really worth it for a little bit of water weight.

Last I heard it was 500mg for sedentary people drinking just the recommended amount of water. Like BMR, it should be considered as base line and most people should increase intake. Unless you have source refuting this?

Got it from a sodium quiz on the Canadian Heart and Stroke website. Seemed low, but I guess maybe they typo'd.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    pickles
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I've just found out that my sodium levels are too low for my objective, I want to gain weight.

Generally I consume around 1,136 and I need 2,500.

So, what is the best way to increase my sodium levels ?

Thanks.
    Eat like an Asian..............just put soy sauce, fish sauce and Accent on everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Eat a cup of Ramen, that'll get ya there easy!
  • Ngreen2707
    Options
    Wow I really wished I hadn't read this topic...
    I thought I was doing good by only intaking 650mg of sodium on average - yesterday I thought was a bad day at 1350!
    My "target" is nearer 2300 so looks like at these kind of levels I can afford to get a bit more taste back in my life :)
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hello !

I've just found out that my sodium levels are too low for my objective, I want to gain weight.

Thanks.

d00d , the 2500 is more of a "do not surpass this" , 1000 is more than enough
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love the people saying "you don't need more sodium."

Diets with sodium under 1500 a day are associated with a higher risk of death than others. Super low-sodium diets, those under 1500 mg, are a compromise solution to balance the effects of high blood pressure against other factors. These diets are only appropriate for people who already have a medical condition.

Most people should get more than 1500 mg a day, especially if you're active and losing sodium through sweat.

THIS. I was hospitalized for a week for low sodium levels.

My niece has also been diagnosed with a condition that requires her to consume extra sodium as a part of her regular diet. Everyone is different, it's not safe to advise anyone what their "normal" should be until they've seen a doctor.

My wife has to consume a lot more sodium than the average person.. she has postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS). As part of her condition, her body depletes her electrolytes extremely quickly. So she eats food high in potassium, magnesium and adds salt to everything.

With that said, I would think obesity and genetics play a much greater role in cardiovascular disease than sodium. I frequently eat 3500mg of sodium or more and have my blood pressure rarely exceed 110/70 with great cholesterol.

Keep in mind many organizations try to look at one portion of nutrition when realistically, there are many factors that cause health issues; total diet, lack of exercise, stress, genetics.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Hello !

Thanks.

d00d , the 2500 is more of a "do not surpass this" , 1000 is more than enough

And you know this based on….
    As pointed out in this thread there are any number of reasons why some people need more, activity level, climate, health conditions, etc.

I would just like to point out that for those with a low intake who feel the need to up it, make sure you are logging correctly. Someone mentioned earlier that sodium is not listed on labels, I am pretty sure in the US and Canada (can't speak for elsewhere) it is required. The issue is, not everyone enters it correctly into MFP when creating food for the database. It is entirely possible that you are eating more if you arent double checking the entries here. Same thing happens with potassium (which isn't required on labels)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

With that said, I would think obesity and genetics play a much greater role in cardiovascular disease than sodium. I frequently eat 3500mg of sodium or more and have my blood pressure rarely exceed 110/70 with great cholesterol.

That should be the case, though not always....my blood pressure was regularly 124/74 about 100 pounds ago......now that I've lost it I've gone up to 140/80. I almost wonder if I wouldn't be better off health wise if I put some back on. lol
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You could start adding higher sodium foods to your routine. Celery, eggs, chicken, carrots, spinach, milk, cheeses like Cheddar, cantaloupe melon, shrimp & artichokes are foods with naturally higher levels of sodium.

This is an great reply and all relatively healthy and delishes foods :drinker:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

That should be the case, though not always....my blood pressure was regularly 124/74 about 100 pounds ago......now that I've lost it I've gone up to 140/80. I almost wonder if I wouldn't be better off health wise if I put some back on. lol

I gotta admit, that is very interesting.
  • SarahSilverman
    Options
    It's interesting that you say you need more sodium in your diet, since the average American diet easily goes way above the daily recommended amount. You do know that sodium (salt) makes your body retain water, right? Water that will flush out eventually (water weight.) Excess sodium isn't good for the heart either.

Pre-packed foods (frozen dinners, canned foods) are the number one highest source of sodium.
    Pre-packed deli meats (like Oscar Meyer) also have a HUGE amount of sodium in them.

I really don't see why you'd be struggling to get enough sodium in your diet but good luck to you!