Mc Donalds everyday Calorie Deficit

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The biggest problem I see (aside from hitting your protein goal, which can be a challenge if you've manually reset MFP's number) is logging accuracy. There's a certain amount of uncertainty when you eat out a lot. It can be compensated for of course, but since you said "slight deficit" just be aware that if you think you've got a 5% deficit but someone else is preparing all your food, it may be less than that.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't look any better. It's an old debate. Everyone with common sense knows that what you eat on a deficit DOES make a difference in the long term.

Oh and Guus, fat does not make you fat :flowerforyou:. It's a myth. You'll gain bodyfat if you lose mucsle mass or when you eat above your TDEE. Eating more balanced (40/30/30 - carbs/protein/fat) will give you the protein it need to preserve musclemass while on a deficit.

Won't look any better in what sense, exactly? What difference in my appearance is caused by getting my chicken salad at McDonalds vs making it at home, exactly?

Who eats salads at McDonalds??

Well logically if it continues to be on the menu it's because people buy it.

That said I quite enjoy the southwest salad and so I, for one, eat salads at McDonalds.

McDonalds put salads on the menu because they have a bad rep of being unhealthy. You know I was being sarcastic about who eats a salad at McDonalds. To each their own. I for one am more of a Big Tasty kind off gal. I would never order a salad at McDonalds. To me it's like going to a prostitute for a hug :wink:.

If it works for you, then that's great. But I think you understood what I was trying to say. Eating all McDonalds daily is not a good basis to lose weight on.

I genuinely don't understand how one can't use McDonalds as a basis to lose weight (some science teacher has lost 40 pounds doing so while keeping a pretty decent macro ratio) or in what manner it will stop a person from looking better.

Salads are the only thing I go to McDonalds for. I get my burgers from Wendy's like a civilized person.

Lol, Lucky you. We don't have Wendy's here :grumble:.

I'm assuming that you don't want the weight back that you've lost? It's not that hard to understand really. It's about the rest of your life, about health, about giving youru body all it needs. I still need to read the first scientific proof that you can live a long and healthy life by eating only at McDonalds. But hey, if it works for you...

In what way does eating at a certain restaurant mean I'll regain the weight I've lost? In what way is the food there different than what I'd eat somewhere else? Is the food at McDonald's somehow different from other food in such a way that eating it within my set calorie allotment will cause weight gain?

I've yet to see proof that eating McDonalds daily within ones calorie goals causes harm. So you have any studies or science that indicates otherwise?
  • bkjk997
    bkjk997 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's not a good idea, but yeah, you can lose weight that way.

I agree, I think you would be lacking some important nutrients, and I don't see how you'd stay under your sodium allowance. Also, I think you'd be hungry all the time because the portion sizes would have to be small to avoid going over your daily calories (have you seen the size of those wraps? I could eat 6 of them! LOL).

But yes, calories in, calories out.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't look any better. It's an old debate. Everyone with common sense knows that what you eat on a deficit DOES make a difference in the long term.

Oh and Guus, fat does not make you fat :flowerforyou:. It's a myth. You'll gain bodyfat if you lose mucsle mass or when you eat above your TDEE. Eating more balanced (40/30/30 - carbs/protein/fat) will give you the protein it need to preserve musclemass while on a deficit.

Won't look any better in what sense, exactly? What difference in my appearance is caused by getting my chicken salad at McDonalds vs making it at home, exactly?

Well logically if it continues to be on the menu it's because people buy it.

That said I quite enjoy the southwest salad and so I, for one, eat salads at McDonalds.

McDonalds put salads on the menu because they have a bad rep of being unhealthy. You know I was being sarcastic about who eats a salad at McDonalds. To each their own. I for one am more of a Big Tasty kind off gal. I would never order a salad at McDonalds. To me it's like going to a prostitute for a hug :wink:.

If it works for you, then that's great. But I think you understood what I was trying to say. Eating all McDonalds daily is not a good basis to lose weight on.

I genuinely don't understand how one can't use McDonalds as a basis to lose weight (some science teacher has lost 40 pounds doing so while keeping a pretty decent macro ratio) or in what manner it will stop a person from looking better.

Salads are the only thing I go to McDonalds for. I get my burgers from Wendy's like a civilized person.

Lol, Lucky you. We don't have Wendy's here :grumble:.

I'm assuming that you don't want the weight back that you've lost? It's not that hard to understand really. It's about the rest of your life, about health, about giving youru body all it needs. I still need to read the first scientific proof that you can live a long and healthy life by eating only at McDonalds. But hey, if it works for you...

In what way does eating at a certain restaurant mean I'll regain the weight I've lost? In what way is the food there different than what I'd eat somewhere else? Is the food at McDonald's somehow different from other food in such a way that eating it within my set calorie allotment will cause weight gain?

I've yet to see proof that eating McDonalds daily within ones calorie goals causes harm. So you have any studies or science that indicates otherwise?

Thankfully, I don't believe they have found anyone that will eat only McDonalds within their calorie goal for a long term (I'm talking years). You know why? Because thankfully most people know it's not a healthy choice in the long term. Seeing as salads only make up a VERY small percentage of McDonalds assortment, it would mean you wouldn't have much variation in your diet. Most people are smart enough to know eating at McDonalds all the time isn't doing your health much good.

http://www.businessinsider.com/mcdonalds-diet-unhealthy-even-if-you-lose-weight-2014-1

As I stated, in general, people don't go to McDonalds for salads.
    http://eater.com/archives/2013/10/21/no-one-is-ordering-salads-at-mcdonalds.php
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/mcdonalds-salads-sales_n_3355068.html

Even McDonalds will tell you not to eat junk food all the time.
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blogs/daily-dose/2013/12/24/mcdonald-employee-website-warns-workers-away-from-its-fast-food/4jfJY3KWTzQROGFVSXw6wJ/blog.html

If you want to make your point to me, how about you only eat at McDonalds for the rest of your life? Let me know that that went.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

9 million people per day. (2010 stats)
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I think it would work to an extent.. then plateau? i'm not sure, I just know it ain't a wise idea :tongue:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

As a total of their sales, it is very few but if there are 9 million salads are being sold every day, then some people are eating salads. I could also pull stats out and show (using your "in general" logic) that people don't eat in McDonalds because it represents less than 2% or total food sales in the US in any day.

Stats are funny like that. But nonetheless, 9 million people PER DAY differ from your opinion.
    If I stop in, yep, that is usually what I get. (And if I went to a hooker, I'd only want a hug. Eeew.)

The whole theoretical "you'd be ill if you only ate at McDonalds" thing is pretty silly. The issue is not "trans fats" or "bad food" of these diets but nutritional variety. You'd get just as sick from organic rice and chicken every day diet. (BTW - I believe McD has been actively moving to remove transfats from their cooking oil).

The point is that yes, you can eat what you please within a varied diet that fits your macros and calorie deficit and remain healthy. And a meal at McD every once in a while will not significantly affect that.

edit : their
  • ZealousMissJJ
    Options

The point is that yes, you can eat what you please within a varied diet that fits your macros and calorie deficit and remain healthy. And a meal at McD every once in a while will not significantly affect that.

edit : their

Varied diet while only being able to chose from McD?

Every once in a while. Exactly my point.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Theoratically yes.

But it would be hard to get your macro's especially if you have high protein goals.

Carbs and fat will be easy to get and as long as you are eating under deficit you will lose weight.

But because of al the fats in it you will gain in BF%

I can't believe someone actually still believes that eating fat makes you fat.

You will not gain body fat from eating fat... You gain body fat from having an excess calorie intake, whether those calories come from protein, carbs, or fats does not matter.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I did once. It was nice. With a burger on the side, although I was in a salad mood, so I removed the burger bun and ate the burger contents, plus the salad, as a salad. It was very, very nice. I'd recommend it.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious proposal or just a theoretical question? Surely there arent people who think that life just consists of eating McDonalds as the only source of enjoyment.....
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I credit McDonald's for most of my weight loss. When I saw the total calories for the combo vs a single item, I gave up fries, chips and sweet tea on the spot. The premium snack wraps are tasty and are about 400 calories.

Edit: My banner is screwed up, I've lost 30lbs.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The basic problem with an all-McDonalds diet is that it just isn't going to amount to very much food. I eat around 1800 calories a day to lose weight. On the McDonalds plan, this represents one breakfast wrap (600 cal), one big tasty burger (my personal favorite, and a shocking 835 calories) and medium fries (330 calories). Large fries would take me over my 1800 limit. No calories for snacks, no calories for a third meal. I guess you could earn yourself some calories from exercise, but the idea of a post-McDonalds gym visit sounds vile.

Of course there are lower calorie burgers out there (big Mac - 490 calories,for example), but it all comes down to the same thing - a waste of calories.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    All this talk about big and tastys has me confused. I haven't seen one in ~10+ years at any mcdonlalds.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    Theoratically yes.

But it would be hard to get your macro's especially if you have high protein goals.

Carbs and fat will be easy to get and as long as you are eating under deficit you will lose weight.

But because of al the fats in it you will gain in BF%

I can't believe someone actually still believes that eating fat makes you fat.

You will not gain body fat from eating fat... You gain body fat from having an excess calorie intake, whether those calories come from protein, carbs, or fats does not matter.

I don't totally agree with this, if someone would be eating -500 deficit each day, let's say he/she eats around the 1500 calories a day and 90% of that intake is satureted and/or trans fat you will gain in BF% much faster then if someone is eating a "normal" % of fat intake a day lets's say something between 20-40%
    That's just normal and how a body reacts ot the intake.

I had put it wrong in the first comment, but just ment that eat much more fat then your body needs, even if you stay at a deficit you will gain some BF instead of losing. It is not soo much compared to overeating ofcourse but there is a difference between eating 90% intake fat or 30% intake fat just try it :D

False.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    All this talk about big and tastys has me confused. I haven't seen one in ~10+ years at any mcdonlalds.

Ah, it's probably a UK thing. They are pure, liquid calories. They come and go off the menu.

http://m.mcdonalds.co.uk/food_single_item.php?item_id=10120
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Mcdonalds comes with extra evil, which everyone knows goes straight to the hips.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options

Ah, it's probably a UK thing. They are pure, liquid calories. They come and go off the menu.

http://m.mcdonalds.co.uk/food_single_item.php?item_id=10120

Ahhhh. The U.S. stopped making them long ago. I wonder why.