Why is MFP adding calories to certain foods?

Options
Ex: 1 large egg has about 70-75 Calories in it. Why is MFP telling me that 2 fried eggs is 184 calories?!!! I had two eggs today, fried them with coconut oil spray and salt and pepper. I also tried to enter a different type of egg, so I put in scrambled eggs. It said that 3 were like 1,000 some calories. Someone please tell me what the heck is going on!

Replies

• mkghbrad
    Options
    A lot of the values in the database have been entered by individuals (Ifound about 6 differing entries for a "small" banana). I would alway enter the raw ingredients, then the values for any oils or flavourings you used int eh cooking process.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Because MFP doesnt have the x-ray powers that make it known that you use coconut oil to cook your eggs (in fact if it did, that would be a bit cr@p given that I have never heard of anybody else using coconut oil)

One would assume therefore that the entry assumes using a more normal oil or butter.

I know! How that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    A lot of the values in the database have been entered by individuals (Ifound about 6 differing entries for a "small" banana). I would alway enter the raw ingredients, then the values for any oils or flavourings you used int eh cooking process.

That's why I've been doing. I've actually been calculating my calories on paper too. This morning they said I have over 700 calories, but according to my calculations, I only had 385!! I just research calories online or use the nutrition label on the back of the products I'm using and they MFP calorie counter is WAAAAAAAAAAAY off. It's totally annoying because I really wanted this site to be a reliable source for keeping track of my calories, but I guess it's not going to be. Whatever, I'm still going to use it though because I do enjoy keeping a food journal :) Thanks for your reply!
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of different brands that will have different calorie counts. You can't just enter "egg" you have to enter the specific brand of egg you use so it'll have the exact calorie and nutritional count. MFP is one of the most extensive food databases on the web (as far as free ones, anyway) so unless you raised the chickens and took the eggs yourself, I doubt you won't be able to find it in there.

Oh and don't rely on user-created recipes unless you know exactly what's in it, because they're bound to be different from what you do, even if it's just a hard-boiled egg.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Ex: 1 large egg has about 70-75 Calories in it. Why is MFP telling me that 2 fried eggs is 184 calories?!!! I had two eggs today, fried them with coconut oil spray and salt and pepper. I also tried to enter a different type of egg, so I put in scrambled eggs. It said that 3 were like 1,000 some calories -_- that's retarded. Someone please tell me what the heck is going on!

I can still understand that in this case someone added extra calories for fat in some form. However what I don't get is that an average egg is 70 calories and the same egg hard boiled in plain water is 83 calories and has several " confirmations ".
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Because MFP doesnt have the x-ray powers that make it known that you use coconut oil to cook your eggs (in fact if it did, that would be a bit cr@p given that I have never heard of anybody else using coconut oil)

One would assume therefore that the entry assumes using a more normal oil or butter.

I know! How that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

Lies. I use coconut oil exclusively to cook my eggs and most other things.
  • jlneibauer
    Options

I know! How retarded that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

A lot of people use coconut oil thank you...it has healthy fats in it which is why I use it instead of regular butter spray or artificial sprays. The spray adds one calorie. I added it into my food diary of MFP. I add everything that I use.....no need to be rude. This is a support forum.
    I'm using very organic/raw alternatives for cooking. Which is why I use coconut oil and olive oil instead of canola oil or butter spread.
  • lolagurlx0x0
    lolagurlx0x0 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    All of the foods here are entered by members. The more confirmations something has- Theoretically the more accurate it is. People cook their food differently- so they enter it manually and Check "Submit to My Fitness Pal Data Base" so that if they do a search it will pop up. You do ACTUALLY have to LOOK at what you are adding- IE Click the "Nutritional Values" link- and CHOOSE the one that is most accurate for you. Don't blame the site, do the work.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options

That's why I've been doing. I've actually been calculating my calories on paper too. This morning they said I have over 700 calories, but according to my calculations, I only had 385!! I just research calories online or use the nutrition label on the back of the products I'm using and they MFP calorie counter is WAAAAAAAAAAAY off. It's totally annoying because I really wanted this site to be a reliable source for keeping track of my calories, but I guess it's not going to be. Whatever, I'm still going to use it though because I do enjoy keeping a food journal :) Thanks for your reply!

Use the barcode scanner on the app if you have it- scans the barcode and brings up the exact product you're using.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I can still understand that in this case someone added extra calories for fat in some form. However what I don't get is that an average egg is 70 calories and the same egg hard boiled in plain water is 83 calories and has several " confirmations ".

Not all eggs are created equal.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    There are a ton of different brands that will have different calorie counts. You can't just enter "egg" you have to enter the specific brand of egg you use so it'll have the exact calorie and nutritional count. MFP is one of the most extensive food databases on the web (as far as free ones, anyway) so unless you raised the chickens and took the eggs yourself, I doubt you won't be able to find it in there.

Oh and don't rely on user-created recipes unless you know exactly what's in it, because they're bound to be different from what you do, even if it's just a hard-boiled egg.

True. I just got discouraged for a second because I thought that I was eating more than I calculated myself!! But now I'm realized just how extensive this site is. Which is a good thing :) So I guess I have to look harder to find the eggs I use. The nutritional label says its 70 cals per egg.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    All of the foods here are entered by members. The more confirmations something has- Theoretically the more accurate it is. People cook their food differently- so they enter it manually and Check "Submit to My Fitness Pal Data Base" so that if they do a search it will pop up. You do ACTUALLY have to LOOK at what you are adding- IE Click the "Nutritional Values" link- and CHOOSE the one that is most accurate for you. Don't blame the site, do the work.

I'm totally not afraid to do the work, I just didn't realize how much information was logged onto the site. But now I realize. Also, I didn't know that the foods were entered by the members. I just started using this site, it's my second day.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    Thanks for your help for those of you that weren't rude!! :)) I don't understand why people go into attack mode just because there is a computer that separates us. We're all here for the same thing which is to get in shape and get support from others :)))
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    MFP is a free, site with contributions from users from many countries. This means that many different countries with many different habits and cooking expectations and habits and many different government food standards (with regard to size, ingredients, food labelling, etc etc) are all represented here.

Culturally rich and diverse that makes meeting here so amazing :flowerforyou:

I make sure that I try to choose things from the country that I buy the food.
    When doing it this way, I find it remarkably accurate ... so thanks mfp :)

Otherwise, you can go online to verify things that do not seem to reflect your culture or or cooking habits.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    MFP is a free, site with contributions from users from many countries. This means that many different countries with many different habits and cooking expectations and habits and many different government food standards (with regard to size, ingredients, food labelling, etc etc) are all represented here.

Culturally rich and diverse that makes meeting here so amazing :flowerforyou:

I make sure that I try to choose things from the country that I buy the food.
    When doing it this way, I find it remarkably accurate ... so thanks mfp :)

Otherwise, you can go online to verify things that do not seem to reflect your culture or or cooking habits.

Yea you're right :) I just thought I was doing something wrong with the food entry!! I was thinking I was going crazy or that I was really horrible at math lol. But now I'm realizing how much information is logged into this site. I really didn't know that since it's me second time on here. I guess I thought the creators of the site just uploaded nutritional values before they got the site up and running. But it's totally user run which is cool because it really creates a lot of support :) I love hearing all the different ideas people have!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just put in whatever brand of eggs you use and how much ever oil/cooking spray, etc. If you're just putting in "two fried eggs", that's just some rando persons entry and who knows how much oil or whatever they used.

Also note that your cooking spray isn't zero calories...it is "zero" calories per serving which is like a millisecond spray. If you're holding down that button and giving the pan a good coating of spray then you're spray has calories at that point....not a lot, but some.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've found that pretty much everything that comes from a package with a brand name is exactly right. If you type in the brand name and it says "Quaker Oats, 1/2 cup" then it's exactly right. But if anything says "homemade" or "generic" then you have to look at the nutrition numbers and make sure to pick the right one.

I also created my own brand for my favorite foods. There are some things that I like to make a certain way that don't show up in the database. So I add up the things in the ingredients and enter my own food and label it the PopeyeCT brand, and just don't share it with the world but it still shows up on my list. For instance I make a salad with a big bowl of lettuce and a can of tuna and some italian dressing. Sounds weird, but I like it and it's not in the database...so it's now the PopeyeCT Brand Tuna Salad :)
  • eldamiano
    Options

I know! How retarded that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

Er, excuse me. I have never heard of anyone using coconut oil to cook eggs. That is not a lie.
  • eldamiano
    Options

A lot of people use coconut oil thank you...it has healthy fats in it which is why I use it instead of regular butter spray or artificial sprays. The spray adds one calorie. I added it into my food diary of MFP. I add everything that I use.....no need to be rude. This is a support forum.
    I'm using very organic/raw alternatives for cooking. Which is why I use coconut oil and olive oil instead of canola oil or butter spread.

No need to be rude? So you are quite happy brand others as retarded but the moment somebody questions your reasoning in a mildly sarcastic way, it is rude?....
  • jlneibauer
    Options

Er, excuse me. I have never heard of anyone using coconut oil to cook eggs. That is not a lie.

Well, you made it a point to try and make it seem like I'm the only person on the face of the planet that uses coconut oil for cooking. Thus the "Lies" quote. She was just confirming the fact that other people use coconut oil for cooking food...which includes eggs. AND THEN on top of that, you decided to be rude and mock my questions/concerns about MFP.