Why is MFP adding calories to certain foods?

Options

Replies

• pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I always try to use the ones put in by MFP (no aterisk * as a prefix). I just really wish those came up first - I often have to scroll down to find them.

That information seems to come from nutritiondata.com so it's pretty reliable. Then, I try to stick with that one moving forward.

You still have to watch though because for scrambled eggs, they do seem to add some spray to the equation.

What I do is I'll find the natural uncooked egg, and just add the oil myself.

It is frustrating though and I'm sure results in many people overeating/undereating.

The bigger problem is all the user-submitted stuff that is just completely wrong (for me it's the macros that I find are so screwed up).
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Three words for you:
    Bar
    Code
    Scanner

Four more words for you:
    My Foods/My Meals - use this for the things that you eat all of the time.

Best!
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    Thanks for your help for those of you that weren't rude!! :)) I don't understand why people go into attack mode just because there is a computer that separates us. We're all here for the same thing which is to get in shape and get support from others :)))

I'm pretty sure you were in a small attack mode with MFP over your egg calories...

..........:noway:
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Use the barcode scanner on the app if you have it- scans the barcode and brings up the exact product you're using.

I despise the barcode scanner. It brings up the "exact" item, but if that exact item was originally entered by "Sally", and Sally happened to make a typo, only follow 'net carbs', etc., then that item will always come up with Sally's interpretation of the scanned item. Also, many foods change over time, so that the information originally entered may no longer be accurate. This is why I definitely don't blindly follow the barcode scanner. I think I've had maybe 20 things ever come up correctly when using it. Just my $.02 :)
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    All of the foods here are entered by members.
    Most of them are, but not all. MFP actually has it's own entries that seem to mimic the National Nutrient Database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list#). These MFP entries are the ones without the * next to them when searching. Whenever possible, I use those entries.

As for the barcode scanners, be careful with those too. I often find that they don't match the label on the packaging. Not off by much, but still off.

Nothing's perfect and I think as long as you can keep to standard entries as much as possible and double check the labels if it's that kind of food then you can get pretty close.

ETA: A tip for getting the MFP entries - enter item in it's plural form with "raw" added to it. For instance, search "bananas raw" and the MFP entry should pop up to the top.

+1

Not all entries are entered by users. OP, you're making this calorie tracking thing much more difficult than it needs to be. Use the barcode scanner if you have a smart phone. I sometimes refer to calorie king to double check on some items (usually items lacking a barcode like fresh fruits and vegetables).
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Well, true. I'm seeing tons of people on here for weight gain! But I guess the moral behind that statement was the fact that those that use the community section are here for support or TO support :smile: :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Nope - not here for support at all - just in it for the information and always looking for new foods and recipes. I have discovered chia seeds are delightful, PB2 is horribly addictive and delicious is yogurt, and spinach in a smoothie is not as revolting as it sounds.
  • heddahmouni
    heddahmouni Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Because MFP doesnt have the x-ray powers that make it known that you use coconut oil to cook your eggs (in fact if it did, that would be a bit cr@p given that I have never heard of anybody else using coconut oil)

One would assume therefore that the entry assumes using a more normal oil or butter.

I know! How retarded that someone should just add the calories in for oil which everybody uses....

Lies. I use coconut oil exclusively to cook my eggs and most other things.

Er, excuse me. I have never heard of anyone using coconut oil to cook eggs. That is not a lie.

Well, you made it a point to try and make it seem like I'm the only person on the face of the planet that uses coconut oil for cooking. Thus the "Lies" quote. She was just confirming the fact that other people use coconut oil for cooking food...which includes eggs. AND THEN on top of that, you decided to be rude and mock my questions/concerns about MFP.

I didnt. If read correctly, I simply implied that it is rare for someone to use it, given I have never heard of it being used. And so what if you were the only person in the world that used it? Would you care?

As stated above, if you are quite happy to use retarded, which in itself could be classed as a politically incorrect word when referenced to anything, then why cant you handle other mockery?

Oh my gosh, the user asked a legitimate question and I'm sure everyone on here would agree your response was rude abd uncalled for! Either be polite and helpful or don't comment!
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    An egg cooked with oil should be entered as "Egg cooked with [type] Oil" and not just "Egg". So OP has a point to an extent. In those cases I usually just correct the values and/or specify when adding to the database.

For example "cereal withOUT milk". I don't know about in the US, but in France they only list things by 100g (which is annoying and lots of people still input it in the database this way even though it clearly says 30g is a serving), or 30g with 2% milk.
    Also annoying as I can only drink lactose free and skim milk lest my bowels declare war. So I figure out the calories for 30g and add it WITHOUT milk (and labeled at such) so I can add milk to it myself in my diary rather than cluttering up the database with my own version of the cereal plus whatever milk I use. I hate when people do that too. That is what "remember meal" and "recipe" is for.
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Use the barcode scanner on the app if you have it- scans the barcode and brings up the exact product you're using.

I despise the barcode scanner. It brings up the "exact" item, but if that exact item was originally entered by "Sally", and Sally happened to make a typo, only follow 'net carbs', etc., then that item will always come up with Sally's interpretation of the scanned item. Also, many foods change over time, so that the information originally entered may no longer be accurate. This is why I definitely don't blindly follow the barcode scanner. I think I've had maybe 20 things ever come up correctly when using it. Just my $.02 :)

Being a little obsessive/compulsive about it, I will then go to my computer, FIND that item in the database and correct it per the label. This process annoys me, but scanning an item and having it come up as something else (or just wrong calories etc) annoys me far more.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    Three words for you:
    Bar
    Code
    Scanner

Four more words for you:
    My Foods/My Meals - use this for the things that you eat all of the time.

Best!

I'm downloading it now haha. Thanks!!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    crowd sourcing. gotta take the good with the bad. settle down, you will learn how the database works.
  • jlneibauer
    Options

Well, true. I'm seeing tons of people on here for weight gain! But I guess the moral behind that statement was the fact that those that use the community section are here for support or TO support :smile: :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

Nope - not here for support at all - just in it for the information and always looking for new foods and recipes. I have discovered chia seeds are delightful, PB2 is horribly addictive and delicious is yogurt, and spinach in a smoothie is not as revolting as it sounds.
    [/quote]

Relying on someone for their information is a form of getting support from them :wink:
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    All of the foods here are entered by members.
    Most of them are, but not all. MFP actually has it's own entries that seem to mimic the National Nutrient Database (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list#). These MFP entries are the ones without the * next to them when searching. Whenever possible, I use those entries.

As for the barcode scanners, be careful with those too. I often find that they don't match the label on the packaging. Not off by much, but still off.

Nothing's perfect and I think as long as you can keep to standard entries as much as possible and double check the labels if it's that kind of food then you can get pretty close.

ETA: A tip for getting the MFP entries - enter item in it's plural form with "raw" added to it. For instance, search "bananas raw" and the MFP entry should pop up to the top.

+1

Not all entries are entered by users. OP, you're making this calorie tracking thing much more difficult than it needs to be. Use the barcode scanner if you have a smart phone. I sometimes refer to calorie king to double check on some items (usually items lacking a barcode like fresh fruits and vegetables).

I tend to make things for difficult lol...I need to stop trying to make everything perfect. But I AM going to use the barcode scanner :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I just started using this site, it's my second day.

Maybe find a veteran member to befriend. They can help you with how the site works. They can also give you hints about how the forums work. As a polite helpful hint, we're actually not all here for the same reason. Saying that essentially starts riots.

You have been here two days, I have been here 3 years. I miiight know more about the MFP demographic than you and the forum climates. There is a specific forum for support. The rest ... not so much. You are totally wrong in assuming people who use the community section are here for support or want to provide it to somebody.

Also, you srs might want to check out terms of service -- especially with some of the language you used.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    I use coconut oil for cooking. I found out through the hard way that individuals put their recipes in this data base. OP you will get accustomed to it, you will probably have to look through 50 eggs before you find the one you want. You will also get accustomed to the environment of this site and how people will reply, most of them will be very courteous and helpful. Look past the ones that are not and concentrate on the helpful info. Welcome to MFP.

Seriously, people, the database is NOT that difficult to navigate. Be specific about what you're entering and enter things in per ingredient vs. whole cooked foods and your lives will be much easier, i.e. raw whole eggs, boneless skinless chicken breasts, spice - table salt. And if you use something frequently, well there's a little recipe tab that you can enter your own concoctions into and use again.

This is a free site and has the best food database out of any of the food tracking sites and apps so get over it.

Not everyone is as computer savvy as you, sweetie :)) So what one finds easy, another may find difficult. Also, I'm sure you don't jump into a new program knowing how to navigate it completely at first. Questions should be welcome and so should concerns/complaints without having a person pop up telling you to get over it. If you don't want to kindly entertain the questions people ask, then don't read the posts.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Also, I wasn't calling ANYONE retarded. I calling the fact that the calories were over calculated retarded. I didn't know if it was me miscalculating or the program. Also I didn't know the nutritional information uploaded onto the site was uploaded by the users. My use of the word retarded wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I was just expressing my frustration. So, like I stated before, no need for you to be rude.

Just because you weren't calling a person retarded, doesn't mean that it's not a harmful and oppressive habit to use it as a negative descriptor. It's a hard habit to break -- self included in that statement -- buuuut words matter.

ON TOPIC, sorry. I'm with the rest of the group; I just enter the individual ingredients when I do meals. Like, I make eggs with butter nearly every morning, so I log my eggs and my butter separately. (Though coconut spray is interesting; I'd never heard of it before.)

I never said that it wasn't a harmful/ oppressive descriptive word and I meant it that way. I was frustrated. It's just like saying any slew of the curse words created in language. Had I used another word that meant the same exact thing, no one would have said anything. ANYWAYYYYYYYSSSSSSS!!!

Yes, it's just regular old coconut oil, but it sprays out like those pan sprays. It helps with the portion control and I love it!!! The oil does add a tiny tiny sweetness to certain foods. (I cant really taste it in my eggs.) But seriously you should try it :)) You can get it anywhere. I use the organic kinds just because I'm trying to stay away from processed foods.

I think you should probably consider the fact that I'm the third person in a thread about eggs that takes issue with the flippant use of "retarded" here. We're talking about eggs in a free database. (Ostensibly.) It's problematic to use the word "retard" where "frustrating," "nonsensical," or "****ing unbelievable." It's a very loaded word.

I'll keep an eye out next time I'm at the store! I'm a really big fan of butter, lol, but I'm looking to try new things, and I've heard great things about coconut oil for hair, oddly enough. I've just never quite gotten around to pulling the trigger and getting some. :D
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    I just started using this site, it's my second day.

Maybe find a veteran member to befriend. They can help you with how the site works. They can also give you hints about how the forums work. As a polite helpful hint, we're actually not all here for the same reason. Saying that essentially starts riots.

You have been here two days, I have been here 3 years. I miiight know more about the MFP demographic than you and the forum climates. There is a specific forum for support. The rest ... not so much. You are totally wrong in assuming people who use the community section are here for support or want to provide it to somebody.

Also, you srs might want to check out terms of service -- especially with some of the language you used.

What language? The word retarded?....please.
    Also, the entire forum minus a few strains, are based on support. Providing information to someone is giving them support. Asking someone to provide and answer to your question is asking them for support. Searching for information based on someone else has posted is getting support from someone.
    I don't understand why people have to be so mean. I asked a simple question and expressed some frustration.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Not everyone is as computer savvy as you, sweetie :)) So what one finds easy, another may find difficult. Also, I'm sure you don't jump into a new program knowing how to navigate it completely at first. Questions should be welcome and so should concerns/complaints without having a person pop up telling you to get over it. If you don't want to kindly entertain the questions people ask, then don't read the posts.

1. Passive aggressive jabs don't fly here, sweetie. This has been tame compared to what you could have gotten.
    2. People are trying to help you navigate this site and you are being defensive about it.
    3.Questions are welcome. You cannot expect to control the answers.
    4. You don't control how people respond to you, so post thoughtfully.
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    Also, I wasn't calling ANYONE retarded. I calling the fact that the calories were over calculated retarded. I didn't know if it was me miscalculating or the program. Also I didn't know the nutritional information uploaded onto the site was uploaded by the users. My use of the word retarded wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I was just expressing my frustration. So, like I stated before, no need for you to be rude.

Just because you weren't calling a person retarded, doesn't mean that it's not a harmful and oppressive habit to use it as a negative descriptor. It's a hard habit to break -- self included in that statement -- buuuut words matter.

ON TOPIC, sorry. I'm with the rest of the group; I just enter the individual ingredients when I do meals. Like, I make eggs with butter nearly every morning, so I log my eggs and my butter separately. (Though coconut spray is interesting; I'd never heard of it before.)

I never said that it wasn't a harmful/ oppressive descriptive word and I meant it that way. I was frustrated. It's just like saying any slew of the curse words created in language. Had I used another word that meant the same exact thing, no one would have said anything. ANYWAYYYYYYYSSSSSSS!!!

Yes, it's just regular old coconut oil, but it sprays out like those pan sprays. It helps with the portion control and I love it!!! The oil does add a tiny tiny sweetness to certain foods. (I cant really taste it in my eggs.) But seriously you should try it :)) You can get it anywhere. I use the organic kinds just because I'm trying to stay away from processed foods.

I think you should probably consider the fact that I'm the third person in a thread about eggs that takes issue with the flippant use of "retarded" here. We're talking about eggs in a free database. (Ostensibly.) It's problematic to use the word "retard" where "frustrating," "nonsensical," or "****ing unbelievable." It's a very loaded word.

I'll keep an eye out next time I'm at the store! I'm a really big fan of butter, lol, but I'm looking to try new things, and I've heard great things about coconut oil for hair, oddly enough. I've just never quite gotten around to pulling the trigger and getting some. :D

You're totally right :) and I honestly didn't mean to offend anyone!

But yea you should try it!!! And it's great for skin and hair!! I could go on and on about coconut oil haha!
  • jlneibauer
    Options

1. Passive aggressive jabs don't fly here, sweetie. This has been tame compared to what you could have gotten.
    2. People are trying to help you navigate this site and you are being defensive about it.
    3.Questions are welcome. You cannot expect to control the answers.