any ground beef recipe ideas?

reesepieces
reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I have a pound of ground chuck and no idea what to do with it. I need some healthy suggestions so that my toddler will eat it too.

Replies

• Cowboy Casserole
    Delicious hash browns and ground meat dish.
    Ingredients1 can cream of mushroom soup
    10 oz yellow corn
    1 medium onion
    4 oz green chilies
    2 oz hash brown
    1 lb lean ground beef
    Directions1.Brown ground beef and onions. Drain and place in large bowl.
    2.Sauté corn and chile peppers together until tender. place in bowl with beef mixture.
    3.Add cream of mushroom soup and hash browns to mix and stir together.
    4.Cook at 375 °F (190 °C) for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.

Per serveing 190kcal | Carb: 13.22g | Prot: 13.76g | Fat: 9.43g

Ooooh just noticed you have a toddler too, I'd imagine you could leave the chilies out of his portion, but it is super yummy, and not bad on calories.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    You can make a healthy shepard's pie. I don't have an exact recipe but it's just browned ground meat with one of those packets of gravy. You add in whatever veggies you want. Then smear mashed red potatoes over the top and bake til golden brown.
  • bump - I buy ground beef all the time, it is cheap. I can't wait to hear some healthy recipes.
  • Heres this one too, my kids love it and it's healthier for you then the oxed stuff.

Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients1 cup nonfat milk
    4 oz reduced fat sour cream
    1 tsp garlic
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp parsley
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1 cup beef broth
    1 packet onion soup mix
    4 g cornstarch
    1 cup egg noodles
    1 lb lean ground beef
    Directions1.Combine all spices into a mixture. Brown ground beef and drain off any fat.
    2.Add noodles, spice mix, milk and beef broth.
    3.Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
    4.Stir in sour cream, mix thoroughly, then serve.

Per serving 205cal | Carb: 13.16g | Prot: 20.89g | Fat: 7.24g
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    This is one of my favorite ground beef dishes that is easy to eat as leftovers too :)

"Mexican Stir fry"

1 pound ground beef
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 Taco seasoning packet ( I recommend McCormicks b/c it doesn't have MSG and you can get low sodium too!)
    1 medium sized onion
    1 can of stewed Mexican recipe tomatoes
    2 or 3 of your favorite veggies (I recommend red bell pepper, yellow squash, perhaps some zucchini)

Prepare the brown rice ahead of time. Brown the meat and onions, then add the taco seasoning and appropriate amount of water. Then stir in the stewed tomatoes, and chopped veggies. Once the veggies seem cooked to your liking, stir in the rice and let simmer for approx 5 mins for flavors to cook into the rice a little bit. You may add additional spices of your own to taste :happy:

I usually eat this as a whole meal, and if you like you can eat it with a dollop of sour cream or fresh guacamole.

I created this dish because I LOVE mexican food, but needed a healthier way (than burritos and tacos) to get the flavor in at home. This way you get a great source of protein, whole grains, and veggies, all in one dish you can easily reheat on the stove top in five minutes the next day. Squash and Zucchini are both excellent in Mexican dishes because they soak up the flavor, and by adding red, yellow, and green veggies it makes it look more exciting as well!
  • Amber030583
    Amber030583 Posts: 490 Member
    Take some ground beef brown it, mix in some cream of mushroom soup, with whole grain rice and veggies. That works well. My son likes it. He's four. Also can use some noodles too. He really likes the extra broad egg noodles. Can also make stuffed peppers. Spaghetti too.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    pasta with ground meat.. brown the ground beef with chopped onion (no oil), add adobo, ketchup squeeze a good amount and add a jar of ragu chunky garden vegtable sauce, lower and simmer for 20 minutes mix with pasta...takes 30 minutes and its delish!!!
  • This is one of our favorites (though I use ground turkey). We don't have kiddos, but we babysat and fed this to an older kid.

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/healthified-mexican-pasta-skillet/e86a1cb2-a7b3-4cb7-906a-9a2d7a9c218f

Healthified Mexican Pasta Skillet
    1 lb extra-lean (at least 93%) ground beef
    1 jar (16 oz) Muir Glen® organic mild salsa (we use medium since we like it spicier)
    1 cup Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce (from 15-oz can)
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 cups uncooked regular or multigrain elbow macaroni
    1 cup Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn
    1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz) (we use the mexican blend of cheeses)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    < Bump > All of these sound terrific!
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    mmm i'm gonna have to try some of these! thanks guys and girls!
  • oooh all of these sound awesome! I always am at a loss for something diffrent to make with ground beef.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Tater Tot Casserole III
    Servings: 4

Ingredients:
    1/2 pound ground beef
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    10 3/4 fluid ounces skim milk (I normally don't add this)
    1 teaspoon garlic salt
    1 (14.5 ounce) can French style green beans (drained)
    1/2 (32 ounce) package tater tots
    I also add a few healthy shakes of Worchestershire sauce. =)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
    2. In a large skillet over high heat, brown the ground beef and drain fat. Stir in condensed cream of mushroom soup, skim milk, garlic salt, green beans, and Worchestershire sauce. Pour the mixture into a medium-sized casserole dish and layer with the tater tots.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until tater tots are browned and crispy.

I'm not sure what the exact calorie count is on this one, but it's not horrible for you. I make this regularly & my husband loves it! Everything in moderation, friends. =)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Enchiladas!! Just use corn tortillas and fill it with ground beef, frozen peppers & onions. Separately, mix together some pace picante sauce and some cream of chicken soup in a pot and heat it 'til it's hot and the consistency is how you want it (ratio is to taste)... then drizzle that on top of the enchiladas. Bake for 20 minutes on 350. Not too many calories and seriously, the mixture for on top TASTES cheesy even though it isn't. Yum. These are even better with chicken.
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    at a loss one nite for what to do with ground beef...dug thru the pantry and came up with

Fiesta Casserole

Whole Wheat pasta (the kids like the bow ties)
    4% ground beef
    1 can low sodium diced mexican style tomatoes with chilies
    1 small can diced ortega chilies
    2 small cans salsa verde
    1 small can salsa casera
    1 can no salt corn
    1 small can diced olives
    2% shredded sharp cheese (sprinkle over top of above mixture)

Bake until bubbly @ 375'
  • Hi I am going to try this recipe thanks:smile:
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    stuffed peppers
    Sloppy joes (use a tortilla instead of bread)
    meat balls (or porcupine balls - includes rice)
    spanish rice
    spaghetti
    mexican pasta
    tator tot casserole
    lasagna
    tacos
    mexican pizza

I have recipes for most of these. We buy our meat from a local farm and typically purchase 1/8 of a grass-fed cow at a time. This give us about 35-40 pounds of ground beef.
  • Love mexcian food !!! Gona try this one
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    My 10 year old and I love taco salad. We get the scoops, fix taco meat and sprinkle some cheese, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, salsa and fat free sour cream over it. If I want to be even more healthy...I avoid the chips. My daughter avoids the onions and sour cream.

It's fun for the kids as they get to make their own too!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    My suggestion is not so much a recipe as a last minute "crap, I forgot to pull something out of the freezer. GB thaws in the microwave well" kind of meal.

I brown the meat and pour off the excess fat. Fry up some garlic and onion, add the meat back in with a few tsp of worchestershire sauce and a TB of balsamic vinegar. I then add dill (fresh, if you have it). My husband hates dill, but I threw it in there and it just made it come alive and now he won't eat the meal without. I make some frozen peas, carrots and corn and defrost then throw it in. I also cook up some brown rice (minute rice) and once it's all cooked, I throw it together. It's not terribly "moist" as there is no sauce, but you could add some gravy to it....Mmmmmm And it freezes well and I cook lots of it so we have lunches for a while. We call it beef mush (we also have a breakfast mush and a apple mush - growing up, mush was just a bunch of stuff thrown into a pan).
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    bump..interesting
This discussion has been closed.