Pear shaped ladies

Options
hnyzthms
hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
Hi

I'm 5ft 3 and a typical pear shaped. I currently weigh 157lb and my goal weight to start is 145, which then i set a new one.

Are there any succes stories of people who have gone down sizes where pear shaped people carry it bum and thighs. I have a pair of jeans which i long to get into. But they don't go over my thighs.

If so pics would be great and also any tips on exercises to help these areas not running

Replies

• ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cycling, leglifts, and kettle bell squats. Will tone inner thigh and butt :) Also works that core :) Good luck!
  • Vtfitlife
    Vtfitlife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cardio to burn the fat, since you can't tone fat ;) which is what saddlebags are... they are just along for the ride. I tend to carry fat in that area so that's how I know ;)
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hello from another pear!

I've lost about 20 lbs from lots of cardio (running, HIIT) with the occasional weights. But I've learnt to love and accept the fact that we can't spot reduce fat - so we just have to burn, baby, burn.

Posting my before and after pictures here and you can see despite the 20 lbs loss, my thighs and hips are still fairly chunky. I'm doing more leg curls, extensions and squats as compared to before just to define those areas a bit more.

In terms of sizing, I used to wear UK 14 tops and bottoms; whereas now I can fit into a UK 10/12 top and UK 12 bottom.

What I can suggest is that if you don't like raining, you can check out fitness blender on youtube for their high-intensity interval training videos. All you need is space, a good pair of sports shoes (to absorb impact from jumps, etc) and maybe a yoga mat. They're quite challenging, but very rewarding! Take longer breaks in between if you need to, but always remember to keep your heart rate up.

All the very best! :)

29didfa.jpg
  • newatbritt
    newatbritt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look great! We have similar body types, but, I'm heavier. Your photos are inspiring!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm a pear. I lost 15 pounds (127 to 112), and lots came of my bum and thighs. I'd say the last place I lose is between my ribs and middle of my thighs. I saw my arms and calves shape up before my belly and thighs. It's frustrating, but I'm going to keep going at it. Sorry, no pics.
  • beachbum1984
    Options
    Wow, you've done an amazing job! You look great!

I'm also a pear-shape - similar body type. I have never carried much weight on my waist, but I have a pretty terrible saddlebag area. I tone up on top much faster than on the bottom, and I've sadly lost some inches off my chest, but I think it's the reality of the body type.

So far, cycling and interval training (lots of squats and lunges in there) have helped me. I want to start running if I can tolerate it.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Fellow pear
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Cardio & lifting.

I now have great legs (yeah I'll toot my own horn).

Nothing is more empowering than a gal that can run, dance, press and be flexible. That's my recommendation!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Pear here. :-)

I have lost 7 inches off my hips but they're still the biggest measurement on me (coming in at 49 inches). I am still shopping in plug-size stores/catalogs, so I usually don't have any problem getting jeans to fit my big old booty. My waist has gone from 46 to 41 inches so now I look a little less pear-ish but not much. When I get to 100 lbs off, I plan to post some before and after pics but that won't be for a little while yet.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts. I have found them difficult to get my form perfect but have never had my glutes be sore until doing them (this after dong squat after squat to heal a knee injury).
  • bogden78
    bogden78 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Pear here as well! I've lost a lot of weight, from size 18 pants to 8/10 depending on brand. So even though thighs/bum are my problem areas, the weight is coming off. I have only done cardio as well no weights.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was an 18+...now down to a 4. Here's the thing though, I'm pretty much proportionally the same. I'm smaller everywhere, but have the same shape still.

Cardio and improving your diet will help the fat...squats will help the leg muscles and reduce the appearance of cellulite. I started with front squats with dumbbells, the leg press machine, and have started using the super squat machine, the sled, and the "yes/no" machine to isolate the inner thighs.

You're still going to be pear-shape, but you can be a smooth pear instead of a bumpy pear.
  • stacibuk
    stacibuk Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    My dear bums are in fashion. The bigger the better I say!!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I'm really an X but weight has put me into a pear shape. I'm taking selfies weekly in my Lose 10 lbs a month group and there is a difference, even from a month ago. I also have a huge belly and that is going down as well but when I do this one abs workout you can totally see it more - I haven't been able to do abs for a week so the abs aren't going down as much. The cardio is really helping the saddlebags and the size of the legs.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Photos help, too by showing you what you exaggerate in your mind. I have pear measurements, and I've always had a big bum/hips relative to my short stature, but when I look at my progress photos, there's nothing really disproportional about me at all.

That said, I think pear-shaped women are so beautiful!

da00fe9b-bdc1-496d-ac41-6a100da02550_zps606908ec.jpg
  • ajsdream
    ajsdream Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Also a pear!! I remember being at my lowest weight (114 @ 5'5") and still having a big booty! Oh well, at least I had a nice booty and not a flat one!

Love the pics ladies! Hope to add mine soon!
  • caseys29
    caseys29 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pear here. :-)

I have lost 7 inches off my hips but they're still the biggest measurement on me (coming in at 49 inches). I am still shopping in plug-size stores/catalogs, so I usually don't have any problem getting jeans to fit my big old booty. My waist has gone from 46 to 41 inches so now I look a little less pear-ish but not much. When I get to 100 lbs off, I plan to post some before and after pics but that won't be for a little while yet.

We must have similar body shapes - my waist is currently at 41 inches and hips are 49. I've list 6 inches off both, but only 2 inches off my butt. I haven't even measured my chest because my boobs are shrinking quickly. They don't even keep the seatbelt from creeping up to my neck anymore. I also have at least another 100 pounds to lose.
  • br1twaslyke
    br1twaslyke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Photos help, too by showing you what you exaggerate in your mind. I have pear measurements, and I've always had a big bum/hips relative to my short stature, but when I look at my progress photos, there's nothing really disproportional about me at all.

That said, I think pear-shaped women are so beautiful!

da00fe9b-bdc1-496d-ac41-6a100da02550_zps606908ec.jpg

this is awesome! my belly looks similar to yours and I'm so happy to see that your belly is flat in your after pic, it gives me a lot of hope! thanks for posting :)
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I suppose I am a pear-shape, but my hip measurements are not that big- I guess I don't know where to measure? My butt and thighs hold everything.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Dancing is the best for Pears!! You keep *kitten* and shape thighs n waist! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!