Calories are calories but...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie no buts...

Yes buts!!!!

Person 1 eats 2000 calories of chocloate and McDoanld's each day and Person 2 eats 2000 calories of meat, fuit and vegetables each day. Lets assume the net calories are the same each day.

What do you think the end result will be?

Sorry, but a calorie is not a calorie!
    I think that there IS a but, like there are fats that gets into your body as bodyfat and fats that help you burn fat. If you eat an avocado every morning with your breakfast, it is highly unlikely that for you to gain weight but if you eat Burger King fries before you sleep every night, it IS going to make you fat. This is like another version of what the person above me said lol;)

ummm no …

overeating makes you fat…not eating BK fries before you go to sleep ….
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    *sneaks in before the poo storm...with popcorn* I think I may have seen this show already but I do usually enjoy it.

*sits down with M&Ms*
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    LMAO @ all the broscience in this thread.

*waits for gifs of popcorn eating and/or people grabbing chairs*
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, but granola bars are full of chemicals. Well, most of them. They usually add a ton of processed sugar too.
    Although, there is organic granola as a cereal, which is SO HARD to find!!
    If you think granola bars of full of chemicals, I'd hate for you to find out how many chemicals are in a banana (a couple thousand.)
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    in4 comments
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. Always. No buts, not even one. I don't care how you feel about someone eating McDonald's or eating "clean," it doesn't change the facts. Sure, you'll probably feel better eating more whole, fresh foods, but if you log it, go for it. A deficit is what you need to lose weight, every time, always.

And I'd eat the granola bar (because I eat bananas for breakfast), knowing that this is the chemical makeup of the typical American granola bar:

550 mg of Malic acid, 16 mg of citric acid, 500 ug of oxalic acid, 310 ug of salicylic acid and 3 mg of purines, 85.3 grams of water, 0.3 grams of protein, 0.4 grams of lipids, 11.8 grams of carbohydrates, 0.6 grams of organic acids and 2.3 grams of fiber. 3 milligrams(mg) of sodium, 145 mg of potassium, 6 mg of magnesium, 7 mg of calcium, 65 micrograms(ug) of manganese, 480 ug of iron, 100 ug of copper, 120 ug of zinc, 12 mg of phosphorus, 2 mg of chloride, 7 ug of fluoride, 2 ug of iodine and 1-6 ug of selenium, 45 ug of carotene, 490 ug of vitamin E, 0-5 ug of vitamin K, 35 ug of vitamin B1, 30 ug of vitamin B2, 300 ug of nicotinamide, 100 ug of pantothenic acid, 45 ug of vitamin B6, 1-8 ug of biotin, 7 ug of frolic acid and 12 mg of vitamin C, 16 mg of Leucine, 15 mg Lysine, 12 mg of Valine and 10 mg of Isoleucine. 2210 mg of glucose, 6040 mg of fructose, 2470 of sucrose, 600 mg of starch, 510 mg of sorbit. Its lipids are 50 mg of palmitic acid, 10 mg of stearic acid, 20 mg of oleic acid, 100 mg of linolic acid, 20 mg of linoleic acid.

Oh, wait. That's the makeup of an apple. Oops. All those scary-looking chemical names, I figured it would be something so super dangerous for me to eat.

Also, it shouldn't matter to YOU that I had a 250 calorie snack wrap from McDonald's (that had less fat and less sodium than my homemade sandwich) twice last month and then had a huge salad and a half slice of pie at Perkins over this last weekend. I'm losing weight because I'm at a calorie deficit. I'm not telling you to eat the two snack wraps or the salad and pie, so to attempt to dictate my diet by saying we "shouldn't" eat certain foods or we should all eat a certain way when I haven't even tried to impose my habits on you is rude and unnecessary. I just had bloodwork done in December; I have a clean bill of health, my cholesterol is better than my doctor's.

Your example of the person eating 1200 calories of chocolate & McDonald's vs. the person eating 1200 calories of "clean" foods is ridiculous. They both lose the same amount as long as they're at a deficit. You're confusing "amount of calories" with "quality of calories" and that's a different subject. 1200 calories of "good" quality foods vs. 1200 calories of "bad" quality foods looks the same for the deficit. If I tell you one person ate 1200 calories and lost 50 pounds and then told you a second person did the same thing, you would not know, by those numbers alone, if one person ate "good" quality foods and the other ate and mix of "good" and "bad" quality foods, would you? No, you wouldn't.

Go over to the success forum and tell them calories are different depending on what you eat and that "junk"/fast/processed food hinders progress, that should be fun considering a lot of them ate those "bad" foods in smaller portions and managed to lose a massive amount of weight.

I love how the topic was "calories are calories but..." and then immediately followed by "a calorie is not always a calorie, because some foods are better for you!"
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Wait.. maybe I'm confused because "granola" isn't a term we hear much in this country, but I thought it was made of oats, nuts, honey and so on? No "natural" nutrients?

Yes, they are natural but also included some high processed ingredients (corn syrup) as well as additves and "natural flavours" whatever that is!!

Banana ingredient list - Banana.

:laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt choose either. i'd get a boiled egg from the salad bar are and some fresh berries.

both the granola and banana option are probably going to be too sweet tasting to me . i prefer savory or tart snacks
  • esmeylull
    Options
    Yes, but granola bars are full of chemicals. Well, most of them. They usually add a ton of processed sugar too.
    If you think granola bars of full of chemicals, I'd hate for you to find out how many chemicals are in a banana (a couple thousand.)
    Do bananas have high fructose corn syrup? No. Do they have those weird colourings? No. Do they have Citric Acid? I can go on like that forever.
    I truly respect people's opinions, but you cannot say that the chemical people put in a candy bar is the same with banana. It is so harmless with fruits, it is so not with candy bars.
  • xenaroadwarrior
    Options
    I'm hardly an expert but I would think if you ate at a deficit, regardless of what you actually ate, you would lose weight. Just as if you ate at a maintenance level, you would maintain your weight.

But I'm pretty sure the person who ate all their calories as crap would be less healthy (on the inside, anyway) than the person who ate natural, unprocessed calories.

Just my personal opinion (which is always open to change).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Do bananas have high fructose corn syrup? No. Do they have those weird colourings? No. Do they have Citric Acid? I can go on like that forever.
    I truly respect people's opinions, but you cannot say that the chemical people put in a candy bar is the same with banana. It is so harmless with fruits, it is so not with candy bars.

bananas have chemicals. sorry to burst your perfect, clean, non chemical world, but just deal with it…

there are no "bad" foods or "good" foods; just food that you use as an energy source….why is that so hard to understand?
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    LMAO @ all the broscience in this thread.

*waits for gifs of popcorn eating and/or people grabbing chairs*

Love reading it tho... :blushing:
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Man made rubbish vs naturally occuring food??
    Banana every time.
    You know that the bananas we eat today are a man-made food, right? That wild cultivars have giant inedible seeds?
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    banana has too much sugar...

But, granola bars have a lot of sugar too?

This is a serious question btw, not to argue but to gain information...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Look, just because you don't understand chemistry, doesn't mean it's bad. Do you have any idea what citric acid is by the way? You're complaining that you think it's bad. Maybe you've heard of this little thing called the Krebs Cycle, which is basically, human metabolism. Another name for the Krebs Cycle? The Citric Acid cycle.

And no, bananas don't contain citric acid. However, lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits, and tangerines do. It's why they happen to be called CITRUS fruits.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

You might want to read up on the banana industry, the chemicals used to prevent blight, and the side effects of those chemicals on people who live near banana plantations and work in the packing plants.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I would choose the one that tastes best or makes me feel fullest. Neither is a terrible choice. Sure, banana is natural and granola bars tend to have refined sugars, but if the granola bar kept me full and made my day better, then I'd choose that. A little refined sugar won't hurt me.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    face-19.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I hate bananas.
    Granola FTW!

But what do I know? My whole body is made of chemicals, so I'm bad.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Eat the banana. You know you want it.

5086506_700b.jpg