Calories are calories but...

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I will stop short of calling some of these replies idiotic, instead I will just assume there is a large quantity of ignorance. A calorie is a unit of measure. Period. And lol at the unscientific bro-science.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Wait.. maybe I'm confused because "granola" isn't a term we hear much in this country, but I thought it was made of oats, nuts, honey and so on? No "natural" nutrients?

Yes, they are natural but also included some high processed ingredients (corn syrup) as well as additves and "natural flavours" whatever that is!!

Banana ingredient list - Banana.

bananas are full of chemicals too.

in fact, everything edible is full of chemicals.

the fact that you have phobias that force you to make a distinction between the sources of edible chemicals doesn't change how your body uses them. your body doesn't know and doesn't care where those chemicals come from... it simply goes about digesting them for use in all necessary metabolic processes.
  • laura7743
    Options
    Well put it this way, I am sure you can make that giant banana last wayyy longer than 1 measly granola bar, and you feel fuller. Therefore, choose the banana (in my opinion). Eat it over like 20 minutes or something.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie no buts...

Yes buts!!!!

Person 1 eats 2000 calories of chocloate and McDoanld's each day and Person 2 eats 2000 calories of meat, fuit and vegetables each day. Lets assume the net calories are the same each day.

What do you think the end result will be?

Sorry, but a calorie is not a calorie!
    But what if person A eats 2000 calories of chocolate and mcdonalds, and person B eats 2000 calories of meat, fruit, vegetables, and is run over by a bus and dies?

See, the calories in chocolate and mcdonalds are better for you because they don't cause you to be hit by a bus.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Eat the banana. You know you want it.

5086506_700b.jpg

This is why I hate bananas. Perverted creepers, every one.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie no buts...

Yes buts!!!!

Person 1 eats 2000 calories of chocloate and McDoanld's each day and Person 2 eats 2000 calories of meat, fuit and vegetables each day. Lets assume the net calories are the same each day.

What do you think the end result will be?

Sorry, but a calorie is not a calorie!
    But what if person A eats 2000 calories of chocolate and mcdonalds, and person B eats 2000 calories of meat, fruit, vegetables, and is run over by a bus and dies?

See, the calories in chocolate and mcdonalds are better for you because they don't cause you to be hit by a bus.

Debbie Downer! :flowerforyou:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    *sneaks in before the poo storm...with popcorn* I think I may have seen this show already but I do usually enjoy it.
    popcorn2.gif I will join you. You're right about it being a rerun, but there's nothing else on.
  • jongskinner
    Options
    Getting your total daily calories within + or - 10% of your daily target matter much more than micro decisions about one snack on one day.
  • JamieBeth19
    JamieBeth19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have hated the taste of bananas since I was a baby. I pick the granola. If say an orange were more calories than a granola bar, I'd pick the orange :)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    banana has too much sugar...

Got something against sugar :angry:
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    It's really not even about calories. I chose to eat clean... really clean... I refuse to eat anything with a face...

13200062024713.jpg

...so no bananas for me!

I think it's despicable you minions actually eat bananas....

post-10559-Banana-Minion-gif-orx1.gif

...I would take the granola bar because I am a good person! The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves and stop eating junk food like bananas full of chemicals and other bad junk and stuff.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Getting your total daily calories within + or - 10% of your daily target matter much more than micro decisions about one snack on one day.

True enough if you know what you're doing and have more knowledge and experience but when you're new and struggling and trying to learn ... this type of decision is much harder.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Banana. Simply because it has more fat. Granola bars are mostly pure carbs. With a banana you get both.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'd have both. 220 calories seems perfect for a snack. :) IMO, a snack should have whole grains and/or protein as well as fruits and/or veggies.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'd have both. 220 calories seems perfect for a snack. :) IMO, a snack should have whole grains and/or protein as well as fruits and/or veggies.

Settled. Done.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    bacon.jpg
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Banana. Simply because it has more fat. Granola bars are mostly pure carbs. With a banana you get both.

Not my thread but that answer helps! My other questions weren't answered but the sugar was my concern about the granola bar and the carbs sealed the deal.

Honestly neither would be my choice but if those 2 were my ONLY choices... I know which way I'd go now.

:flowerforyou:
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'd go for the granola bar.

Cuz eating a banana = putrid breath.

lol
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    But.. Let's say, for example, in our cafeteria there are couple of options. You can get a granola bar or a banana for a snack. Now, a granola br has 90 calories but a banana has 130(they're massive). Besides the nutrition, I still think having a banana is so much better than having a granola bar, even on low cal diets. It fills me up more and for some mental reason I feel better.

What would you chose in a situation like that?
    Oh and, I used to be on a diet bit not right now, just wondering what your opinions are.

"besides the nutrition"... what??

besides the nutrition I would be eating 1k cals of non fat ice cream than 1k cals off fruits n veggies
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Man made rubbish vs naturally occuring food??
    Banana every time.

Everyone knows, that all man-made items are rubbish.