Alcohol during a diet?

Options
Okay so, I still like having a drink but I was wondering what sort of alcoholic drinks are okay to have during a diet?

Now i'm only talking once a week on a saturday night, not every night!

Are there any low calorie wines?

advice please :)

Replies

• vijaynarayanan
    Options
    I does not matter Sarah

Avoid the sugary mixers with liqours stick to dry wines and make sure it fits into your broad macros. Beer would be a bad idea I guess.

Vy
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not really sure on the drinks, I like a good rum and coke on occasion and count the coke I put in it. All of the usual beer is in the database and I count those as I drink them. I am still losing weight by staying under my calorie target.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I lost 66 pounds while still enjoying wine and good craft beer several times a week. I didn't find that it had any negative impact on my weight loss. I have a drink or two with dinner 2-3 nights a week now, and I've been on maintenance for almost two years.
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure most people will tell you that any one would be fine as long as you know how many calories it is and log it correctly. And it's true. If you have room in your day for it, then why not have a full-calorie drink over a 'light' one? Unless of course you find one you enjoy. Then you have room for even more :)
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    getdrunknotfat.com :drinker:
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is just calories. The fancier frillier the drink usually the more sugar so be mindful if you are counting calories. Nothing wrong with it.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    Once a week I like to have 2 shots of vodka.
    Sometimes a glass of wine with dinner.
    Be sure to measure out serving size.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Log your drinks. Drink the ones you enjoy.
  • Pain_Train
    Options
    I drink what I want and make cuts to calories elsewhere.
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    It's fine to drink. Just remember alcohol has 7 kcals/gram. 80 proof Vodka is about 97 kcal per shot (roughly). Just drink wisely :drinker:
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    A normal glass of wine (3.5 oz) only has about 70 calories. That is a really small glass though! Just enjoy a few glasses every now and again, track them (ahead of time so you have a plan), and don't go too crazy and you'll be fine.

Margaritas, on the other hand, can be dangerous!

There are "skinny girl" drinks out there and things of that nature but they are generally disgusting (and full of strange ingredients) and I wouldn't recommend them. I'm all for enjoying the real thing in moderation. The worst is the 70 calorie beer...yuck.
  • Pain_Train
    Options
    I lost 66 pounds while still enjoying wine and good craft beer several times a week. I didn't find that it had any negative impact on my weight loss. I have a drink or two with dinner 2-3 nights a week now, and I've been on maintenance for almost two years.

Nice !!
  • hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a low cal drink I'd go for vodka, lime & soda. :)

I wouldn't go for any 'low calorie' wines- they normally turn out to be 5% of lower! and in my opinion not very nice.

To be honest I'd just drink what you normally drink, but log it first, if you've logged 4 drinks before you start drinking you're unlikely to go over. I also tend to have a high calorie burn on days when i want to have a drink
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You can have any type of beverage you like and be successful. That being said, this website seems to be very popular among people who share your concerns:

www.getdrunknotfat.com

"The Get Drunk Not Fat database displays beer calories, wine and alcohol calorie and carbs sorted by their calorie to alcohol ratio. Maximize your buzz by choosing drinks with the highest amount of calories from alcohol, not from fillers!"
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Margaritas!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my beer even though I´m dieting right now. When I have it I count it! one bottle (500ml) has 200kcal. Can´t have it often though.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

Absolutely this!!! Use MFP as a planning, not just tracking, tool. Add in your wine, beer, 1/2 gallon of ice cream, etc. when planning your meals for the day. If it fits while maintaining your desired macro ratio and calorie count for loss or maintenance then your are good to go!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I have room for it in my day. Usually stick with a dry red or white. Vodka with club soda is pretty good as well.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, calories from alcohol are not normal calories.

Calories from alcohol are 'empty calories', they have no nutritional value. Most alcoholic drinks contain traces of vitamins and minerals, but not usually in amounts that make any significant contribution to our diet.

Drinking alcohol also reduces the amount of fat your body burns for energy (1). While we can store nutrients, protein, carbohydrates, and fat in our bodies, we can't store alcohol. So our systems want to get rid of it, and doing so takes priority. All of the other processes that should be taking place (including absorbing nutrients and burning fat) are interrupted.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    It's fine to drink. Just remember alcohol has 7 kcals/gram. 80 proof Vodka is about 97 kcal per shot (roughly). Just drink wisely :drinker:

Had to read this 3x before my brain didn't see "Just drink wiskey"

But seriously. Just drink whiskey.

Dig through my diary .. I like me some drinks. Just log them, make room for them, and stay in your calorie goals. Keep in mind drinks vary wildly. A long Island Iced tea can have 800 calories. A pina colada can top 900.

Rum and diet coke is around 100