Alcohol during a diet?

Options

Replies

• HWeatherholt
    HWeatherholt Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Most liqueurs have around 100 calories per shot. Some have a few more some a few less.

I'm not a huge drinker but if I have one or two with dinner I log my shot and order it with diet soda. I don't freak if that shot or two puts me too close for comfort to my calorie count. Now if I'm planning a big night out with friends and know I'll be drinking a ton, I plan ahead and limit my calories from other sources or hit the gym and burn off the number of shots I want before I head out....one of my cousins counts his time on the treadmill not by time or distance but by shots.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I stick with liquor (martinis, etc) and dry wines.

I avoid the mixers like the plague as they KILL the cals.

And, as always, make sure it all fits in macros

Life style, over time, is what matters.

Best!
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm in with most of the above answers. I lost still drinking, but just in moderation. Just keep room in your calories/macros for it, and stay away from things like mudslides, margaritas, drinks with juice, etc. I do like the skinny girl wines that are 100 cal for 5 oz I think, BUT, once I really started looking into it, most reds, blushes and dryer whites don't have more than 120-130 cal for the same amount, so it's not really worth the added expense to me. In my opinion, eliminating anything completely when "dieting" is a bad idea. Just use the moderation rule! :drinker:
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Lower calorie drinks that are still yummy are:

gin with slimline tonic or vodka with slimline tonic - approx 55 cals/drink

champagne (yay!)

weight watchers wine (you can get it in Asda and few other supermarkets) actually tastes pretty decent if you're going somewhere that you can BYOB
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Most liqueurs have around 100 calories per shot. Some have a few more some a few less.

I'm not a huge drinker but if I have one or two with dinner I log my shot and order it with diet soda. I don't freak if that shot or two puts me too close for comfort to my calorie count. Now if I'm planning a big night out with friends and know I'll be drinking a ton, I plan ahead and limit my calories from other sources or hit the gym and burn off the number of shots I want before I head out....one of my cousins counts his time on the treadmill not by time or distance but by shots.

!! Shallow and Pedantic Alert !!

Liqueurs are generally around 20-25% alcohol and contain a lot of sugar, and come in around 150 cal/shot. Liquors are 40-50% alcohol, and around 100 cal/shot.

This translates to: 300 cal of Amaretto (liqueur) has the same amount of alcohol as 100 cal of vodka (liquor).
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I loves me my wine and was imbibing every night and although it fits into my calories I found that it does inhibit (or slow down) my progress. With that said we have been eliminating booze Monday-Thursday making it a "treat" on the weekends since that is when we typically go out. I have found in the past when I cut down my booze consumption that I did lose more weight and inches.
  • hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have had a wine called "Skinny Vine" and the flavor was "Thin Zin". I thought it was pretty good! It was 85 calories for 5oz - which is awesome!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yep. Half a pint of lager only has half the amount of calories as a full pint....
  • jemmadc
    jemmadc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vodka and soda with lemon or lime. Can't go wrong!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Just like with anything you absolutely can't give up while trying to lose weight, don't give it up. Enjoy it in moderation. You can still find a way to enjoy it while fitting it into your daily calorie needs and macros. Now, drinking 1300 calories worth of liquor might not be nutritionally sound, but you'd still lose weight if you were consuming at a deficit.

Some of the best options are wine (there are also health benefits with drinking wine), lighter beers, and liquor without the mixer..

I personally am a liquor gal so I drink things neat, on the rocks, or mixed with a zero calorie soda depending on the quality of the liquor. I don't like sweet drinks in general so luckily I avoid the sugar and calories. I also regularly drink wine and I've managed to keep my weight stable for the past few years.

Enjoy yourself!
  • bohlmanwe
    bohlmanwe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try Vodka and water. Throw a lime and lemon slice in it along with some Mio (whatever flavor you like). Its awesome.
  • Myxalplyx
    Myxalplyx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I decided to do a quick search on it. I like to drink Grand Marnier shots on my days off from time to time. I was really interested in seeing what folks had to say about the calories and logging it in. Apparently, it is just that. Calories in and calories out. Log it in and keep within your daily goals.

This one's on me! Thanks! ;-)
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is 100% my downfall. I started going out more (Got a raise and started working 2pm-10pm which is perfect for going out after work! No early wake-up!) The pounds packed on at MACH SPEED. It's unbelievable. Unfortunately, in order to have even a few beers and a shot or 2 I'd have to cut out a whole meal... my calorie goal is 1400. So I'm TRYING to save going out and drinking for my cheat day (or 2) on my weekends. Otherwise it's inevitable that I'll stay 40lbs overweight. :sad: It's a very tough choice, as I LOVE to go out with friends and drink, but one that I absolutely HAVE to make. Like they say, "LIFESTYLE CHANGE". That's what I keep repeating in my head... :cry:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I limit my drinking to things I really enjoy such as good bourbon, scotch, IPAs, and nice wines. I don't always follow my own rules but I try to sip and savor and keep it to only 3 drinks or fewer.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter what kind of alcohol as long as its in moderation.
    1 shot a day or 1 glass a day keeps my craving away.
    i will have 1 or 2 extra on weekends....lets parte!!!
  • Ngreen2707
    Options
    Wine is actually advised to be drank to help aid fat loss!

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20475957_10,00.html
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I drink this in the summer....start with a small glass...

Bacardi Limon - 1 oz shot
    half of a water flavor packet (raspberry lemonade is really good)
    Fill the rest with Sprite Zero....stir.

69 calories each.
  • SarahSilverman
    Options
    Wine! Because you're drinking grape calories, technically.
    Or you can drink hard alcohol (like vodka, whisky... no schnapps or anything) and mix it with a ZERO CALORIE chaser. Bottom line is alcohol = calories.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is 100% my downfall. I started going out more (Got a raise and started working 2pm-10pm which is perfect for going out after work! No early wake-up!) The pounds packed on at MACH SPEED. It's unbelievable. Unfortunately, in order to have even a few beers and a shot or 2 I'd have to cut out a whole meal... my calorie goal is 1400. So I'm TRYING to save going out and drinking for my cheat day (or 2) on my weekends. Otherwise it's inevitable that I'll stay 40lbs overweight. :sad: It's a very tough choice, as I LOVE to go out with friends and drink, but one that I absolutely HAVE to make. Like they say, "LIFESTYLE CHANGE". That's what I keep repeating in my head... :cry:

That's really tough and challenging. With a pretty small calorie goal it is tough to fit booze in. Keep in mind you need to focus on finding a sustainable way to both lose and maintain. I have had better luck setting my daily target artificially low and then take perverse pleasure in going over but only slightly on many days. You probably don't have nearly as much space as me to set low (at 1400 calls). You can also save a few calls everyday to spend on nights out. Going out with friends or otherwise is an important mental / social goal for many. A d sometimes an important life goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Just remember that alcohol content counts when it comes to fat burning. Alcohol inhibits fat burning until it's out of your system. Luckily, it's not too hard to burn off 70-100 calories of alcohol.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition