Fitbit Users - Has anyone experienced this?

Options
Apparently Fitbit users are getting rashes on their wrists. I was thinking of buying one for myself, but now...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/13/fitbit-force-rashes_n_4590859.html

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. I was deciding between the Force and Flex, but I'll go with the Flex now!
  • judymoving
    Options
    I do not get a rash, but moisture certainly does build up under it. I will often remove it during the day to wipe down my wrist and the band. My concern is the wear and tear on the clasps, which is not very secure.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit one and don't have to worry about that. I just clip it on to my bra every morning and it stays put and no one can see it unless I want them to
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    No problem what so ever since mine. Been wearing it 24 hrs a day since Christmas with the exception of showers (which is also when I charge it)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That's terrible. I was deciding between the Force and Flex, but I'll go with the Flex now!
    There is a thread on here about irritation from the Flex, too. I'd get a One.

I kind of roll my eyes at the people who let their rash get that bad (photos in the article). I mean, cmon, if your skin doesn't like it, don't wear it for a month.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    There is a thread on here about irritation from the Flex, too. I'd get a One.

I kind of roll my eyes at the people who let their rash get that bad (photos in the article). I mean, cmon, if your skin doesn't like it, don't wear it for a month.

lol my thoughts too :\ take it off at the first sign of irritation. I guess I would be hesitant thought too, if i had just spent that much money on it hahaha
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit one and don't have to worry about that. I just clip it on to my bra every morning and it stays put and no one can see it unless I want them to

Yep.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I haven't had this problem and I have had my Force since mid-November and wear it daily. If you get sweaty, you should wipe it off and clean it daily. Some people may be allergic to the rubber or other materials that it is made of. If that is the case they should return it.
  • jess135177
    jess135177 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have the force and if you have damp skin under anything that snug you will get a rash. I just make sure I take it off when I wash and dry my hands and I don't wear it in the shower. Those people are kind of ridiculous to keep wearing it and irritating the skin to that extent.
  • wac021
    wac021 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the Force and haven't had a problem with it. I don't wear it in the shower so there can't be the water build up but so far it's been fine and I'm wearing it at all time (except showers).
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love my zip and have had no reactions from it. I either clip it to my bra or to my waistband. It is supposedly latex free. I am allergic to latex and to nickel (and various chemicals...basically I use "free and clear" everything), which is one of the reasons that I was a little leery of getting the flex or force. Although those are supposed to also be latex free, the clasp was a possible concern and I break out so easily from detergents etc that I figured the material might still bother me.

I had started seeing twitter posts about the force back before I got my zip at Christmas. I have not seen many about the flex, but people seem to be having real problems with the force. I wonder if something is different with the material or if the unit is getting too hot and slowly burning their skin. I'm glad I went with the zip and it has caused no problems when it has been worn in contact with my skin.
  • kew1952
    kew1952 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the flex and I just wear it loose enough that the air can get under it, plus it does move around a bit on my wrist, which allows air flow.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have extremely sensitive skin and I haven't gotten a rash from my flex. I wear mine a little loose though.
  • Jambalady
    Jambalady Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the Force. Been wearing it every day since Christmas and I don't have any issues and I have VERY sensitive skin.

But, I heard the older model (maybe the flex?) is waterproof so people were showering with it. If I shower with my wedding rings I get a rash too and it is from not properly drying the space between your skin and the ring/watch/whatever.

The Force is not waterproof so you have to take it off to shower.

Maybe that is the difference?
  • mrsfyredude
    mrsfyredude Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wear mine on my ankle, no reaction there.
  • o2bfit3
    o2bfit3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes it is too bad, but Force users are getting burn like rashes under the charging port. It is painful and itchy not to mention downright ugly. I would not recommend the Force right now, but the other Fitbits seem to be okay. For the $130, it should not cause harm. Fitbit has turned a blind eye to it stating it is a nickel allergy. Not the case, here, Fitbit! Buyer Beware
  • o2bfit3
    Options
    What about building up a sweat? We should be able to use this while working up a sweat safely. I don't think this problem is associated with dampness, unless it is causing the battery to discharge like a zap on the skin.
  • sjlawgirl
    sjlawgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never. I don't wear it in the shower though and I can't imagine ever being SO sweaty that my wrist would be damp. I really only sweat in the face.
  • o2bfit3
    Options
    Do you have a Force?
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have had a fitbit one since February 2012. I wear it clipped to my bra.
    Got a Force at Christmas. It does make my wrist break out so I keep it in my pocket.
    I have been using both to see how close the numbers are. But the Force is the one I have linked to the Fitbit site. I keep the one charged and use it everyday sill. I like to see the difference in numbers.