Added Strength Training, Weight Went Up

Options
Should I be concerned? I've been maintaining at around 132 - 133 for over a year by running and doing circuit training 6x a week. I decided to start using dumbbells, and so 3x a week, I'm lifting, following a routine on fitnessblender. I've been doing this for over six weeks.

I didn't weigh myself for a few weeks, and when I did, I weighed 137!

So, is this normal for adding muscle or should I reduce my calories and try to get back down? Any thoughts are appreciated.

BTW, clothes still fit, so those 5 pounds don't seem to have made a big difference.

<<-- I'm the one on the right in the picture. I'm 45, if that makes a difference.

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations.

Second, if you haven't weighed for a while, it could be weight fluctuation. I'd watch it for a week before I'd worry.

Third, if your clothes fit and inches haven't added, I would not worry. If you think it might be a trend of upward fat gain (not weight gain), use a measuring tape and take baseline numbers now and watch them carefully over the next month or more. If it's a good, healthy muscle gain, the inches will shrink while the weight rises.
  • littlelou374
    Options
    I would just keep an eye on things. It's probably some water weight or a natural fluctuation. Whatever you do, don't stop lifting. You'll love the changes from it.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yep, it happens. You're building muscle. No need for concern.
    I started lifting weights around the middle of last year. When I went to my doctor in Dec, I had gained 10 lbs, but lost quite a bit of fat. I went down a shirt size and a pant size in that time, as well.
    As far as the calorie thing, it depends on your goal. If you still want to trim some fat, reduce your intake a little. If you're happy with your results, stay with what you're doing.
  • smarthart
    smarthart Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Adding pounds is normal when you lift weights but you will also see your clothes get looser. Obviously a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat but takes up a whole lot less space! Since it's really about our size and not the scale, this is a good thing. Added bonus: you'll be stronger and have better balance!
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    untrained muscles hold less water, when you start lifting muscles become filled with more glycogen (water in muscle) so its not anything out of the ordinary... I was injured and had to take two weeks off from the gym and I lost about 5lbs from NOT working out.. its intracellular water that will make you look better so don't go by the scale go by the mirror especially at first if you are untrained..
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to get more information about this as well. I just turned 50 and same for me. I started doing dumbells, planks, and recumbent biking with resistance to try and tone up. (I also run nearly every day for at least 3 miles.) I too noticed a gain of a couple of pounds. Though like you, I think my clothes still fit fine. I know there can be weight gain, but wonder how much is normal muscle weight gain and what is the normal time frame to notice any gains. I've upped my calories a little since I've been on maintenance, but don't want to gain fat.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I haven't done my usual weight training for about 3 weeks now. In that time, I have lost about 6 Lbs. I dont know, I'm kind of liking these results even though it is not what's "better" for me. It is time to get back to it , and even though I know it is ridiculous, I do not want to see the scale go up...for any reason!
  • bodyalmostthere
    Options
    Your just gaining muscle its completely normal your muscle weighs alot so its good weight you shouldn't be worried about your weight be worried about your body fat % because u could be burning fat from the weight training and gaining weight from muscle your developing but burning fat and thats a good thing so worry about body fat% and forget about how much u weight
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    you're retaining fluid from lifting. It will go away.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    untrained muscles hold less water, when you start lifting muscles become filled with more glycogen (water in muscle) so its not anything out of the ordinary... I was injured and had to take two weeks off from the gym and I lost about 5lbs from NOT working out.. its intracellular water that will make you look better so don't go by the scale go by the mirror especially at first if you are untrained..

^this.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    you're retaining fluid from lifting. It will go away.

This.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am about the same place you are and have decided to go with trying to build muscle. It is hard to redirect my focus after spending more than a year focusing on the scale. I am up in weight, though my clothes feel exactly the same.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Your just gaining muscle its completely normal your muscle weighs alot so its good weight you shouldn't be worried about your weight be worried about your body fat % because u could be burning fat from the weight training and gaining weight from muscle your developing but burning fat and thats a good thing so worry about body fat% and forget about how much u weight

Wut
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    The most important piece of information was that your clothes still fit, who really cares what the scale says. That arbitrary number has way more power than it should.

You are likely just retaining water from the new workout I wouldn't worry about it and I would definitely not stop lifting. In time you will see the benefits and how much better, harder and sexier your body looks.
  • kriswilson17
    Options
    Don't stress about weight - it's normal to add some weight when you start weight training. Remember muscle burns more calories at rest and takes up less space than fat. While you may not see a difference immediately at the scale - long term inches will start coming off. Google pound of fat versus pound pound of muscle and take a look at the pictures.
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's water
  • bodyalmostthere
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat so if your gaining muscle your going to weigh more ok got that? Now weight training also burns fat got that? Soooo you can be loosing fat and gaining muscle but since muscle weighs alot you will gain weight by gaining muscle got that simply put your gaining weight from muscle but burning fat also so only worry about the body fat % because thats all you want to loose anyways dont worry about the scale
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat so if your gaining muscle your going to weigh more ok got that? Now weight training also burns fat got that? Soooo you can be loosing fat and gaining muscle but since muscle weighs alot you will gain weight by gaining muscle got that simply put your gaining weight from muscle but burning fat also so only worry about the body fat % because thats all you want to loose anyways dont worry about the scale

Do you know how long it takes to put on 5lbs of muscle? Do some research
  • bodyalmostthere
    Options
    Its the water in your muscle doesn't mean u have to say its the water not the muscle lol get your **** straight
  • Iron_Lotus
    Options
    Its the water in your muscle doesn't mean u have to say its the water not the muscle lol get your **** straight

LOL Wut!?